It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

IF 2012 doesn't happen

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 11:23 PM
link   
What would be really interesting, is if something "big" happens in early 2013, after everyone mocks those who believed that something might happen in late 2012.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 11:52 PM
link   
Two things on this:

1) the chances of it hitting are now 1 in 250,000 or .0004%

2) this is dependent on the asteroid missing a gravitational keyhole which would change it's trajectory

The problem with this is that the keyhole is 600m across and the asteroid itself is 300-450m and both are just close estimates. The problem with saying it's not going to hit the keyhole is that the measurements themselves aren't that accurate right now (we need more passes, 2013 should refine the keyhole).

Think of it like trying to hit a needle in a haystack with a thimble, but we can only measure in feet. It's probably impossible but we don't really know for certain because we can barely see the thimble and the needle is simply calculated to exist from the current barn conditions (i.e. what if an eq sends earth on a bit of a wobble, that would change the location of the haystack and, subsequently the needle, or keyhole).

That probability very well may go up as the orbit and keyhole are redefined. Keep an eye on it is all I say.

[edit on 5/26/2010 by Fiverz]

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 07:18 AM
link   
reply to post by dragnet53

I did not twist words on the origins of the Hopi prophecy.

Here is quote from the speech you posted.

You know, one time the scientists came to the Hopis and they said, "We want to take a piece of the stone tablets." They said, "We want to take the stone tablets to a scientific laboratory to determine how old they are. The Hopis said, "We know how old they are. "Well the scientists said, "We want to confirm it. "So the Hopis let them take a little piece, and they tested it by the carbon dating method. They found these tablets were at least 10,000 years old, maybe 50,000. So when I say, "Thousands of years ago, there were Native people that spoke of these things," that's exactly what I mean. They told their children and thousands of years ago, their children grew up and told their children, and then their children grew up and told their children. And they spoke about the people that will live in this time.

You can't radiocarbon date stone. Not possible. Radio carbon dating is reserved for biological materials. Also, the ago of the stone is not the same as the age of the writing on the stone. Furthermore, the Hopi did not have a written language.

Let's go back to the source of the prophecy
Hopi Prophecy

The following extraordinary Hopi prophecy was first published in a mimeographed manuscript that circulated among several Methodist and Presbyterian churches in 1959. Some of the prophecies were published in 1963 by Frank Waters in The Book of the Hopi. The account begins by describing how, while driving along a desert highway one hot day in the summer of 1958, a minister named David Young stopped to offer a ride to an Indian elder, who accepted with a nod. After riding in silence for several minutes, the Indian said:

I stand by my claim that the prophecy is new, not ancient.

[edit on 27-5-2010 by stereologist]

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 09:38 PM
link   
Joke Answer: Apophis? Eh, get SG-1 on it.

Real Answer: There is an extremely small chance of Apophis hitting Earth. Also, in 20 years, our technology may be advanced enough to do something about it.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 09:40 PM
link   
reply to post by dragnet53

Dude the apocalypse is coming look!www.abovetopsecret.com... lol

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 08:21 AM
link   
We will never know what will happen. Scientists can say all they want or we can get out the history books. But the fact of the matter is people have been thinking the end of the world will come sometime in the future always. My mother has been around 50 some odd years, and she's heard so many stories of times the end of the world will happen. When it happens we'll never know. But I tell you what if something really is going to happen. NASA better be working there asses off to make sure we're prepared for something like this. But wait... We're too worried about money and war that that will never happen. It's a shame really. How about we as a world make some space ships and get the hell off this planet if something supposed to happen? I mean lets stop charging for stuff and work together. Honestly that'll probably be the only time things will be back to normal. Until then things will get really bad for the future.

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 08:21 AM
link   
We will never know what will happen. Scientists can say all they want or we can get out the history books. But the fact of the matter is people have been thinking the end of the world will come sometime in the future always. My mother has been around 50 some odd years, and she's heard so many stories of times the end of the world will happen. When it happens we'll never know. But I tell you what if something really is going to happen. NASA better be working there asses off to make sure we're prepared for something like this. But wait... We're too worried about money and war that that will never happen. It's a shame really. How about we as a world make some space ships and get the hell off this planet if something supposed to happen? I mean lets stop charging for stuff and work together. Honestly that'll probably be the only time things will be back to normal. Until then things will get really bad for the future.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join