It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Constitution is this year's big best-seller

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Constitution is this year's big best-seller

thehill.com

Demand for copies of the U.S. Constitution is skyrocketing.

The increased interest comes amid the rise of the Tea Party movement and as both parties cite the Constitution to advance their agendas.

The pocket edition of the Constitution and Declaration of Independence ranked 10th on the Government Printing Office’s (GPO) best-seller list in March.

Since September 2009, the GPO has sold more than 8,700 copies of the pocket Constitution to the public, according to GPO spokesman Gary Somerset. That is a higher sell rate than in recent years.

Those sales are in addition to the thousan
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Well, it seems as if the People are finally doing some homework. The time is long overdue for us all to understand what powers belong to whom and to understand how easy it is to understand the Constitution. Read it. Take it literally. Exercise your Liberty.

This gives me Hope for this Nation. We are seeing incumbents ousted and true conservatives taking the places of the neocons and liberals. Power to the People is in this Document.

thehill.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Nice find Stonergeek! I especially like the idea of requesting one from your Representative. I wonder how many requests come from Barney Frank's and Nancy Pelosi's districts?
I used to have copies of those in my youth. Now I believe I will contact Eric Cantor and see if he'll send me one. (I'm betting he will.)

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 02:13 PM
link   
Your constitution is not a big deal. I will never understand your fascination.

It's probably that TPTB has found a nice way to lure you into thinking that a piece of paper will set you free. But they are #ting on it, yet they use it to prevent you to be creative and think of a revolution. They want you to believe that a piece of paper will guarantee your rights while it's obviously not enought.

They don't want you to see that the constitution is weak, and should be reformed/extended/enforced. So they created this constitution cult to prevent you from thinking about alternatives. But seriously the constitution itself is worthless.

[edit on 21-5-2010 by ickylevel]

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Constitiution Best Seller on Capitol Hill......ongoing thread

Everyone should own a copy, I already have my digital one.

[edit on 21-5-2010 by prionace glauca]

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 02:17 PM
link   
That is an interesting piece of news, for what ever it is going to mean in the end.

Just for the record I have had a copy of the deceleration hanging on my wall for about ten years now or so.

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Here it is in Spanish in case anyone needs that

Constitución de los Estados Unidos de América

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 02:22 PM
link   
From original article

Centrist Republican Rep. Steven LaTourette (Ohio) said he has fielded more questions on the Constitution when he travels around his district.

The former prosecutor warned, however, that “there’s the school of thought that you shouldn’t do anything that doesn’t emanate from the Constitution, but the difficulty in that is, among other things, in the original Constitution, only white male landowners could vote. And clearly we’ve moved past that on a number of fronts, so the folks that say you have to adhere to the Constitution as written really ignore 200 years of jurisprudence.”

This sort of mentality is exactly the problem. That's what Amendments are for.
To hear that sort of argument, you'd think he was speaking of even excluding The Bill of Rights. One of the BEST features of the Constitution is that even a repealed Amendment remains in the document. This way future generations are able to see where mistakes were made. Imagine if the repeal of Prohibition simply erased the 18th Amendment from the Constitution.

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by ickylevel

But seriously the constitution itself is worthless.

I believe the 14th and 19th ammendments, that allowed people other than white men to vote, may of had some value to some people...

[edit on 21-5-2010 by Thermo Klein]

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Thermo Klein

That was the best I've seen all day!

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 02:33 PM
link   
i just bought mine, i never thought of having one to carry, its a good idea to many authorites forget these rights themselves, and its not like they ever take your word for it.

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by ickylevel

It's probably that TPTB has found a nice way to lure you into thinking that a piece of paper will set you free. But they are #ting on it, yet they use it to prevent you to be creative and think of a revolution. They want you to believe that a piece of paper will guarantee your rights while it's obviously not enought.

They don't want you to see that the constitution is weak, and should be reformed/extended/enforced. So they created this constitution cult to prevent you from thinking about alternatives. But seriously the constitution itself is worthless.

[edit on 21-5-2010 by ickylevel]
Well, is this a fact, or is it just your opinion?

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 01:41 PM
link   
So they created this "constitution cult" in 1776?

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 07:54 PM
link   
I received a pocket constitution from the CATO institute. I really like it. I can't wait to use it in arguments with other people. It's going to be fun

reply to post by ickylevel

You have a point. But the constitution actually is really important. Article 1 lays out the powers of congress. Article 2 sets out the functions of the executive branch. Article 3 of the constitution talks about how the Supreme Court should be the superior branch of the federal government and it details how they have the power to make rulings that are the supreme law of the land (in article 3 section 2). Article 3 section 2 also gives us the right to trials by jury. Article 4 section 1 says that states must give faith and credit to all their deeds, and, what not. Article 4 section 2 deals with extradition, and, it says that every citizens of the several states has the same rights as each other (the 14th amendment says that states can't deny these rights to us either).

Article 4 section 3 gives us the right to annex new states from new territories or from existing territories. Article 4 section 4 gives us the right to a Republican government. We can change the constittuion because of the 5th amendment. And article 6 requires all members for political office to take an oath to the constitution (so it's illegal to them to break it), and, it also contains the supremacy clause that says the laws are supreme (people aren't supposed to break them).

So, in actuality, the constitution is very important. And so are the bill of rights and the other amendments of the constitution. It provides a system of governance, and, the bill of rights, and the other 17 amendments are very important to our society. If we didn't have it we wouldn't have the rights and liberties that we have today

[edit on 22-5-2010 by Frankidealist35]

top topics

join