It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who Owns You?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 12:58 PM
link   
One of the greatest conspiracies "Gene Patenting" is unfolding before our eyes ... a soon to be released documentary is about to expose it:

Over the last 20 years, the United States Patent and Trademark Office has been issuing patents to universities and private companies on raw human genes. One company or university is given a legal monopoly over a molecule that is inside every human being and many other animals. This documentary explores the legal, ethical, and clinical ramifications of human gene patenting.

Trailer: vimeo.com...

Official Website: www.whoownsyoufilm.com...

Recent Developments:
www.nytimes.com...
volokh.com...

Related Threads:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

I'm going to dig deeper into this ... I just saw the trailer and thought it was worth sharing and a good starting point for discussion.

Additional Information: Patented Genes (60 Minutes Video)

[edit on 17 May 2010 by schrodingers dog]

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 01:06 PM
link   
My mammy and daddy own me because they made me

Seriously tho thats very interesting, its unbelievable actually, how can they have the audacity to do that?

I'm going to read up more about it.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 01:13 PM
link   
cool, just think, if someone commits 100 murders, they could make them serve 100 life sentances, just keep making new ones to lock up

oh, edit to add something related to the topic

That's messed up, how can someone even begin to think that they can own every molecule in every living thing. It's crazy. Someone ripped him off.

[edit on 17/5/2010 by Acidtastic]

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 01:18 PM
link   
One thing science has, is its total obsession with hatred with anything good. They want to be able to destroy any human and do not care one bit what they do to anyone as long as its not them.

Definition of absolute scum if i ever heard one, is the beasts that do all this stuff and take from any human what they want, pure effing scum.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 01:26 PM
link   
This should be more lucrative than selling carbon credits. I'm off to the patent office to file something for the toejam gene.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by andy1033
One thing science has, is its total obsession with hatred with anything good. They want to be able to destroy any human and do not care one bit what they do to anyone as long as its not them.

Definition of absolute scum if i ever heard one, is the beasts that do all this stuff and take from any human what they want, pure effing scum.

I would respectfully suggest that in this case, a substitution in your comment of the word "science" with the words "big pharma" would be more apt.

It is fact scientists who are fighting against the gene patenting practice and making the case that genes are not and cannot be the property of corporations.

Now, I suppose one could make the case that this issue would be moot had not scientists discovered/decoded the human genome, but that seems to me that asking humans to buck their instinct for discovery and exploration is not only unrealistic but in my opinion also undesirable.

Curiosity is a virtue for all but felines.

[edit on 17 May 2010 by schrodingers dog]

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 02:22 PM
link   
If you can make a buck from it, people will do it.

Is this really a suprise, coming from a species that has more than once sold one another as slaves? Making a patent on our genes seems tame in comparison.

Theres a market for everything.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 02:31 PM
link   
You people do not realize that unis all over your usa, are doing stuff in peoples lifes without there consent.

People have no morals what so ever, and they just love this power over others, and they get away with it.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 04:28 PM
link   
I think the question for this is best posed by our friends over at ieet:

Should one company or university be given a legal monopoly over a molecule that is inside every human being?

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 02:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lady_Tuatha
My mammy and daddy own me because they made me

Seriously tho thats very interesting, its unbelievable actually, how can they have the audacity to do that?

I'm going to read up more about it.

Hey! Not to worry. They can only patent a synthetically made molecule and not natural ones.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 02:33 AM
link   
the only authority over me is the authority i permit over me.

who owns me?

What owns me is what can confine me, and if i permit the limitations of society's words to define my true potential, then the only potential i can attain is what the words permit me to comprehend.

perhaps our true identities are not confined by the boundries of the words provided to us.

top topics

join