It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Google Knows Where I Live?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Was using a mate's laptop this morning and a message popd up in the Google toolbar specificaly asking me if i would like to share my location with Google, it even tickd the box for me to agree, how handy is that???. I of course clickd no and have decided to run linux and never use google for anything again.

What the # is this all about why in the hell would they want to know where i live?, the only thing i can think off is selling more detaild advertising info onto to other companys OR if you give them your location volunteraly it would help authorities bypass the lengthy process of obtaining court orders for your address from an ISP as google could legaly just hand it to them.

Anyone else had this?

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Johnze
OR if you give them your location volunteraly it would help authorities bypass the lengthy process of obtaining court orders for your address from an ISP as google could legaly just hand it to them.

BINGO!
The US Gov is doing everything to prevent people from using the free speech right, by every means necessary (patriot act).

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 01:33 PM
link   
sorry to let you know this but...........everyone knows where you live!!!!!!!!!

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by l neXus l

Nobody knows where i live apart from my family, beyond that im fairly off the radar, i have not updated my drivers license in years, i dont have a bank account anymore with no direct debits tied to any address, i use gas and electric cards for power and rent paid in cash. Ive pretty much did everthing i can so the police dont know where i live other than maybe an address that at least 3 moves ago.

And it probably makes sense the authorities would like google to know where desperados[lol] like myself are.

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 01:39 PM
link   
It will be able to pinpoint your exact location via your IP address whatever system you use.

You can still have a star for switching to Linux though - because it's a very good idea.

Check my sig

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Johnze

you might not want to tell people nobody can find you, it makes you sound like a serial killer or A TERRORIST

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 01:53 PM
link   
You use a wireless network, right? If you're on Google streetview, they know the approximate location of your access point, as the streetview camera polls for wireless AP and wireless NIC data.

There are other companies that do the same - if you're in a good-sized town in the US, there are cars driving around mapping wireless access points.

Your ISP's location is well known, so I can always tell what area you're in in general unless you use a proxy.

Try going to www.ip2location.com and see how closely they pick out your location, it is really accurate for some ISPs, not so much for others.

new topics

top topics

join