It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Arizona bill targeting ethnic studies signed into law

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 06:20 PM
link   

Arizona bill targeting ethnic studies signed into law

www.latimes.com

Gov. Jan Brewer signs the bill that bans schools from teaching classes designed for students of a particular ethnic group. School districts may appeal the law, which becomes effective Dec. 31.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Well, this is walking a fine line, in my opinion. What I mean is, where is the line drawn between being proud of your heritage... and using it for "ethnic solidarity"?

I can see the point, I guess... but do they really need a law for it?

Seems to be a bit odd to me.

I guess there will be more outcry from California

I did check to see if this had been put up already, but didn't find any threads on it.

www.latimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 06:27 PM
link   
In my opinion it's a good thing. This is America and so students should learn american history, their state history, and world history. If the want to learn on how they are being opressed then go back to their home country and learn it there. Now my tax money won't pay for those classes.

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 07:00 PM
link   
From the article-

Horne has been trying to end the program for years, saying it divides students by race and promotes resentment. He singled out one history book used in some classes, "Occupied America: A History of Chicanos," by Rodolfo Acuna, a professor and founder of the Chicano studies program at Cal State Northridge.

"To begin with, the title of the book implies to the kids that they live in occupied America, or occupied Mexico," Horne said last week in a telephone interview.

What else is their to say. They are teaching that the US is occupying Mexican land. WTF!

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 07:08 PM
link   
Regardless of where a person stands on this in the Mexican vs American vs Mexican American, no one can deny that people in general have an extremely poor grasp of geography and world history (and for that matter, civics & government). The curriculum wasn't THAT great when I was in school a million years ago and I'm STILL figuring things out.
It would be one thing to have "mini seminars" (do schools ever still do that?) each semester, but there are enough basics that kids aren't getting to be throwing in specialized history or cultural classes.
Just my opinion.

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 07:35 PM
link   
reply to post by endisnighe

What you say makes perfect sense, but you know there a lot of liberal folks that probably think we should teach every student in america to hate the rich and to destroy the nation.

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 08:32 PM
link   
Hello there. Please contribute to the previous discussion:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Thank you. Thread closed.

new topics

top topics

join