It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Arizona Law Not Racially Motivated: so says US AG Eric Holder

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Holder Fears 'Slippery Slope' of Racial Profiling

Sunday, 09 May 2010 04:46 PM [atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/1c627aea8c41.jpg[/atsimg]

Attorney General Eric Holder said Sunday he does not think Arizona's law cracking down on illegal immigrants is racially motivated but voiced concern that its enforcement could lead to racial profiling. Holder said the U.S. has a national immigration problem that cannot be cured with a "state-by-state solution."

The top U.S. prosecutor said he understands the frustration behind the Arizona law, but he warned during an appearance on ABC's "This Week" that "we could potentially get on a slippery slope where people will be picked on because of how they look as opposed to what they have done."
The law empowers police to question anyone they suspect of being in the country illegally, and that could lead to what some see as harassment of the state's large Hispanic population.

Holder said the Justice Department was "considering all of our options," including a lawsuit either on grounds that the Arizona law had pre-empted federal powers or was a violation of federal civil rights statutes.

Source: newsmax.com...
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/41da424b4348.jpg[/atsimg]

The first major crack in the Feds attack on Arizona for the passing of it's new tough immigraion law. Nice to know one can count on the Feds to cover your back when you have to deal with a tough issue!

Holder is again showing himself as incapible and inept at his position. Ten to 1 the White House puts out a story today contering what he said. Adding to the confusion.

By-the-way, do we yet know if or when the Gitmo Fellas trials are and where to be held at? NO-they still tying to determine where they think they can get the biggest political bang for the buck. Absolutely disgusting he holds the post of US AG.

The Feds will learn that STATES RIGHTS outweigh their political agendas!!!

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/99769d876dce.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 08:19 PM
link   
No one wishes to opine on this? Interesitng.

In that Holder is the TOP Law Enforcement official in the Country. He just shot the White Houses plan of attack on Arizona-via using Civil Rights and other trumped up, untested, feel-good laws/suits on them.

Any atty will love defending Arizona on this.

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Arizona's law is modeled on federal immigration enforcement laws.
Arizona, just re-wrote the law so they cannot stop anyone without probable cause.

I wonder how long it will take Obama to replace the AG ?

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 09:13 PM
link   
Yeah, I was hearing on the evening news...several lawsuits, and the Obama White House is forming a lawsuit. I thought for a second, and thought what the hell! The Arizona Law is the exact same language as the Federal Law, and the State Law merely enforces the existing Federal Law. So who exactly is Obama suing here? His own Judicial System? Haven't these idiots ever heard of the Separation of Powers?

2 Ariz. City Councils Vote to Sue Over New Law

U.S. may sue Arizona over new immigration law

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 09:19 PM
link   
The Obama Administration suing Arizona for using the same law as the Feds would simply expose the Feds for not enforcing the existing law.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 12:41 PM
link   
reply to post by babybunnies

Bingo, and that is why it WON'T happen. More tough talk with nothing to back it up-and it really doesn't matter to the White House/Obama anyway.

This recent concern on the W.H.'s part is all fabricated to get support up for Harry Reid and any other Dems running in this issue states.

Just let him (Obama) keep talking and proving he is an idiot.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 12:50 PM
link   
reply to post by anon72

In that Holder is the TOP Law Enforcement official in the Country. He just shot the White Houses plan of attack on Arizona-via using Civil Rights and other trumped up, untested, feel-good laws/suits on them.

Did you even read the article?

Just because he says it wasn't racially MOTIVATED doesn't mean that in practice it could still violate civil rights of AMERICAN CITIZENS.

He even says in the article it could lead to racial profiling.

Not sure why you are so excited about this...it doesn't change the fact that this law will be challenged and most likely struck down.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by OutKast Searcher
Not sure why you are so excited about this...it doesn't change the fact that this law will be challenged and most likely struck down.

Yeah, I'm confused, too. Not sure how this shows that Holder is incapable and inept??? I agree with Holder. The motivation for the law isn't racial, but it could easily be used to racially profile. Inept? I don't get it.

Oh, well, it's another Obama-bash-fest so we might as well celebrate!
We don't have enough of those on the board today!

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 01:09 PM
link   
Obama is a moron that's why. He knows nothing about economics, knows nothing about science and medicine, knows nothing about foreign policy and history..........he was a do nothing community organizer and do nothing Senator running one of the most powerful countries in the world. As they say.........only in America!

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 01:22 PM
link   
people were pretty quick to scream racism with the passing of AZ's new law however it never was about being overrun with Mexicans... it was about being overrun with soring crimes and drugs destroying the country towns and cities... it just so happens a large percent of those crimes are committed by ilegales

I've seen a few different stats that claim 60 to 90% of illegal drugs that reach the US come through AZ's borders.... even if that figure is at the low end of the scale they have to do something to stem the flow...Stop their state from being an open highway for these cartels, straight into the heartland of America...

Kudos to the AG for seeing past all the misconceptions about what the law is and isnt...

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

I dont' think the law will be overturned.

I feel he is incapable of doing a good and proper job as USAG. He has already shown that he is political sided by NOT prosecuting the New Black Pantner Party folks from the Blocking Enterances into Voting places-only to white people. And, adding to the mess is the NYC terrorist trials and his mixed/confused messages surrounding all of that.

Inept by again making statements he knows are improper. It is his opinion that law may lead to racil profiling. Wow, May. He needs to stay out of the States way and get involved IF a complaint is made to his office. He is just running his jaw trying to show the illegals (and legals) that Obama is on their side etc-when they know they won't get this law overturned. IMO.

That was a quick response but I think I covered it from MY POV.

And not to mention the couple of opinion briefs he failed to disclose during his Congressional confirmation hearings.

top topics

join