It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Women Should Keep Silent In The Churches

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 01:59 PM
link   
reply to post by whitewave

I think that 150 years of suffrage would go out the window in about 15 minutes in a post apocalyptic setting as "might makes right" in chaotic situations. That tidbit of human nature is probably how we got in this situation to start with. It was probably for our own good (allegedly) to order women around in order to protect them from harm. Then it just became habit over time.

I don't know-just spitballin' here. Still, I prefer to view females as being similar to a left hand. Try to get along just one day using only your right hand (if you're predominantly right-handed, of course). It can probably be done but you'll be exhausted and frustrated at the end of the day. Is your left hand "inferior" or is it just another part of your body, useful in specific ways?

Your left and right hand addage really fits the Anglo/Saxon soceity.. with Spear (men) half and Spindle (Women) half creating 2 halfs that go into making a whole healthy relationship and society..

It is deep shame that the Norman's and later Gregorian forced attitudes to men and religion changed the face of our society so much so that even today we can not see how we are completing a full circle.

You see a 150 years of sufferage, and I see a 1,000 year cycle filled with bloodshed and sadness..

But I think in all honesty that in a post appocolyptic setting those moral rules that spear and spindle half would be repeated instead of lost.. reinforced instead of eroded that once again men and women would work as 2 halfs that make a whole...

this is an interesting link in to that dark age society
linky

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by BeastMaster2012
Women are the ultimate humans in my view. I wish the world were ruled by women, the world would be a more peaceful place. All hail women!

Seriously? I see women being more manipulative, petty, and back biting than men.

Don't get me wrong, I love women, but wholly ruled by women? No thanks, I would rather see equality among the sexes in the ruling class so the natural destructive tendencies of both can be dampened by the other.

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Maybe the Amazon tribe had the right idea.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 01:17 AM
link   
Klaas, I wasn't aware of those tidbits of information about men. Thanks for making me aware of it. You've got me wondering now if you're pulling my leg. Is all that really true?

@stormdancer777
I'd be very interested to see the pattern you discovered in your studies of the bible. Do you have a thread on it here somewhere? If not, please start one or send me a U2U.

Cheryl Schatz has a series of DVD's in which she explains in depth this verse in Corinthians as well as the one in I Timothy 2:11-15.
J. Zens whose summary is found in the OP also sells the DVD's. I have no affiliation with them and don't want to offend by posting links to people selling stuff, I mention the sources again for those who may want to study the subject more thoroughly.

I appreciate everyone's well-considered responses.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 01:29 AM
link   

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 09:18 AM
link   

The verse in Corinthians COULD not mean what religion says it means; that women should keep silent in the churches. For one, the early organic CHRISTian church was understood to not be a physical place built by man.

It was understood that the people were the church, not a building. Secondly, women sang in the places of worship so they were not silent anyway and no one complained about it (at least we have no record of such).

Maybe this is one of those questions about the Chrisitan faith where we have secular witness.

In the famous letter written by Pliny the Younger in about 112 CE, widely accepted as authentic (although everything concerning early Christianity has some controversy),

www.fordham.edu...

he reports finding among the Christians in Bithynia "two female slaves who were called deaconesses."

So, we have reason to think that some early, but after Paul, Christians allowed women to exercise leadership in the Church. The theory laid out in the OP, that Paul was mentioning a Jewish rule in order to exclude it from Christian worship makes perfect sense, too.

S&F, of course.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 10:29 AM
link   
reply to post by whitewave

I'm not pulling your leg really.

I just read it only weeks ago. I'll see if I can find the articles.
You don't speak Dutch by any chance do you ?

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 10:09 AM
link   
reply to post by eight bits

Great find eight bits!

Thanks for bringing that to the table.

@Sinter Klaas
No sprechen de Deutch (sp?)

Had a Dutch friend that used to say, "If you aint Dutch, you aint much". Does that count?

On a personal note, I've been told by a few churches that I'm too mouthy and I should learn my place which irks me to no end. I had a (now ex) husband that actually called the church elders out to the house so they could scold me for not being submissive and minding my husband. It was very intimidating (and infuriating).

After an hour of going over verses in which I pointed out that a man who doesn't support his own, especially those of his own household are worse than an infidel (husband had no job) then they finally left with a scolding for him too.

The only time I've ever been a literal "bible thumper". Was ready to "thump" them all over the head with it. LOL.

*Also keep getting asked for a link even though I've cited the sources (twice). Since I got the information from an advertisement for a set of DVD's, I've had to spend some time looking for where this info might be listed online with a link that might make everyone happy. Found a blog where Cheryl Schatz herself makes an appearance. Hope this helps.

a source

[edit on 11-5-2010 by whitewave]

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join