It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Amount of Spill Could Escalate, Company Admits

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 10:22 PM
link   

Closed door confessions: Up to 60,000 barrels a day spilled

www.nytimes.com

WASHINGTON — In a closed-door briefing for members of Congress, a senior BP executive conceded Tuesday that the ruptured oil well in the Gulf of Mexico could conceivably spill as much as 60,000 barrels a day of oil, more than 10 times the estimate of the current flow.

The scope of the problem has grown drastically since the Deepwater Horizon oil rig exploded and sank into the gulf. Now, the discussion with BP on Capitol Hill is certain to intensify pressure on the company, which is facing a crisis similar to what the Toyota Motor Company had with uncontrolled acceleration — despite its
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 4-5-2010 by TheOneElectric]

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 10:22 PM
link   
Wow, 60,000 barrels a day could be leaking into the gulf. I must ask, how is that drill baby drill mentality working out now?

I know such accidents are not supposed to discourage our energy prospects, but I think it is a major wake up call that we as a nation need to move toward clean renewable energy ASAP.

www.nytimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 10:39 PM
link   
reply to post by TheOneElectric

Companies aren't interested in clean renewable energy. Where's the money in that? Accidents (if you want to call it that) such as the one in the Gulf happen every so often. Unfortunately, they're going to try things that they aren't even sure will work as a short-term solution, and the other solution is months away.

No kidding the amount of the spill could escalate. Have they not seen how big its gotten in a few days? Imagine weeks!

new topics

join