It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So, what is in a name?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Hello everyone. I was thinking about an ATS members name recently, after reading a posting of theirs and it got me to thinking:

HOW DOES ONE PICK THEIR NAME for ATS? I couldn't find any forum that I thought I could post this in as in most of the older members (I believe) could careless about telling how they chose their ATS ID. So then I thought, why not try to get the new folks coming on board to tell a little about their name selection (if they desire to).

Example: anon72

A friend of mine gave me a re-built computer so he and I could play an old PC game on it (Veitcong-yes I know-old school). Anyway, I got home-hooked it all up-turned it on and the screen saver eventually popped up and I saw a big blue ANON moving all around the screen.

I called him up and said what is ANON? He laughed and then told me he does that to all of his computers that he re-builds. He choose that as a short name for: anonymous. Well, I kept the name for the PC game (hello if any of you remember AnoN from V.C-hello).

Well, when I would try to join different things over the years, I saw that anon was used very often-as well as accompaning numbers (anon1, anon2, anon3 etc). Well I went with 72 at that was my old football number. I put it in and it worked. Been that way ever since. I originally liked the whole anonymous name idea but that all went away after awhile. Now it just sticks with me.

See, that wasn't hard or bad. I am just the kind of person who looks at members ID and some of their responses and then try to imagine what/who they are. I seriously hope I am not the only one who thinks like that.........

So, if you new members are reading this (and any older ones who wish to participate) please tell us (me) about your name, what it means to you and why you picked it.

Mods, I attempted to generate interest in this topic for the new people so I put it on this forum as oppossed to, say BTS, as more people will see it here etc. I will understand if you move it. OR if you really like this idea, maybe we could do it in another format etc.

Thanks everyone and welcome to ATS.

[edit on 4/27/2010 by anon72]

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 03:28 PM
link   
reply to post by anon72

I'm a life-long student of history
Tending to the Conservative side in politics.
"Churchill" seemed a little too grandiose.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 03:41 PM
link   
My name comes from a quote from the cartoon Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends. I've used it ever sonce.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Mines simply because I like the band Rise Against.

Nothing more to it than that.

.....Gosh, I'm such a simpleton.

So then I thought, why not try to get the new folks coming on board to tell a little about their name selection (if they desire to).

I'm just newbie enough to post in this thread!.

[edit on 27-4-2010 by Rising Against]

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 03:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Rising Against

Good enough. Not all will have a great and/or interesting process behind it but I like the idea of hearing about everyone.

And, you don't have to be a noob to be on here but.....I see it going that way. Oh well, I hope for the most.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 03:53 PM
link   
I picked my name because I wonder and day-dream a lot, and 302 is the engine size of my hubby's first mustang. Actually 302 is in all of my online names.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 03:53 PM
link   
Interesting question.. One I often think when seeing some member's names on here.

I look forward to more people sharing.

Mine for one, is pretty simple: My first name is Brooks. Middle initial is A. Last name is Hester. broahes

Nothing profound in that.. just something I can't easily forget

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 03:55 PM
link   
AlreadyGone...an old Eagles song...I abide by the lyrics:

Just remember this my girl, ...when you look up in the sky,...you can see the stars and still not see the light.

So often times it happens,... that we live our lives in chain...and we never even know we have the key.

Likewise, literally and figuratively and philosophically, I am AlreadyGone.... moved to the country...sho'nuf country. Plus, I'm a little crazy...lol

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Good enough. Not all will have a great and/or interesting process behind it but I like the idea of hearing about everyone.

Hey! Are you saying mines not interesting?

JK

I would agree though tbh lol

Especially since I don't even listen to them that much anymore.

[edit on 27-4-2010 by Rising Against]

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Ok i seem to be the only one who took alot of time to think of a good name to use online... lol

Anyway..... Ibex

Its an extinct mountain goat and i like goats, plus it links up with my starsign (Capricorn)

When i was thinking of a name to come up with i first thought of my starsign then thought what word could i use instead of it but still resembled the meaning of Capricorn and thats where ibex came from.

I add different numbers to the end depending on the year or availability, usually its Ibex08 though.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 04:04 PM
link   
Mines self explanatory.
If there is any confusion then we might have a problem.
I am an accordian player.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by DrumsRfun

LOOL makes perfect sense!

2nd line

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 04:21 PM
link   
My utterly unoriginal name is simply my initials I'm afraid. If I was to use my main alias I would be afraid that no one would take me seriously as it is a character from sesame street.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 04:26 PM
link   
I'm exactly a new fellow, but...

I came up with my name over time, a few years back.

I was very forgetful and kept forgetting my log ins, and would have to come up with a new one each time, as it was for my email account and I'd forget the password.

Don't judge me, I was young and naive...

Eventually I came to this one, and it stuck. I like it, and at one point my friends refereed to me by it for while instead of my real name.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 04:28 PM
link   
When I first decided to become a member here, after just reading on the site for about a year and a half, I was looking at alot of threads about the Marine Corp. and since I was in the Marine Corp. and devildog is a nickname for Marines I made my name DevildogUSMC.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 05:27 PM
link   
Great thread!
My name represents US Route 23 that runs from MI through KY, VA, and TN to FL.
This road is known as the "Hillbilly Highway" to many, since Appalachians have for years followed this road to find work.
The section between Ashland, KY and Big Stone Gap, VA is sometimes called the Country Music Highway. The Judds, Billy Ray Cyrus ( Miley's dad), Loretta Lynn ( Coal Miner's Daughter), Ricky Skaggs, Dwight Yaokum, Patty Loveless, The Stanley Brothers, Patsy Cline and many others all hail from this short stretch of road.
It's also the land of barefeet, moonshine, and the Hatfield-McCoy feud.
Even though I'm now a 23 refugee, I still bristle when "hillbilly" is used as a derogatory term. Take note at how often this ethnicity is still disparaged by even the most politically correct.

[edit on 27-4-2010 by 23refugee]

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 06:03 PM
link   
I spent over an hour trying to pick out a name for my self on this site I was going to pick hairyharry but lucifersjester poped into my mind just as I began typeing so I used that insted

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 06:13 PM
link   
Mine is for the political climate in my home state of California. Stormy. The day I signed up we were also having a bad summer storm that was unusual for california, and I thought to myself OOH looks like our weather is mimicking whats happening in the capitol building. It happened to be a very eventful week with the whole I.O.U 's and and mass budget cuts to all the wrong programs and no cuts to the ones that needed to be cut, so... yea...

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Folks,I have a bucket load of comments but I will save them for now. I can't respond to every one (as not to waste space etc) but I gotta tell you I am LOVING this.

Remember to flag so we draw attention to thiis thread. I WANT ATSers to see this-and hopefully participate (so most likely I just killed this thread with that statement!-prove me wrong).

Please keep it up.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 09:10 PM
link   
I was 15 and got it from some book I saw in my school library that was titled "Everything is Eventual". I'm not sure if that was the exact title or not.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join