It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stephen Hawking says Aliens exist

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 06:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Matrix Rising

Stephen Hawking says Aliens exist.

Interesting post Matrix Rising.

Firstly I want to say that I have a great respect for this man’s marvelous mind and his admirable fighter mentality.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/b2cd99881c5b.jpg[/atsimg]

But despite my respect, are here my thoughts about his in my eyes pretty naïve sayings.

THE aliens are out there and Earth had better watch out, at least according to Stephen Hawking. He has suggested that extraterrestrials are almost certain to exist — but that instead of seeking them out, humanity should be doing all it that can to avoid any contact.

His saying regarding existing Aliens out there, and that because of that, “instead of seeking them out, humanity should be doing all it that can to avoid any contact”, says to me that despite his great and interesting views about universal things, he has obvious no notion whatsoever of what already happens regarding those existing Aliens here on Earth.

Hawking’s logic on aliens is, for him, unusually simple. The universe, he points out, has 100 billion galaxies, each containing hundreds of millions of stars. In such a big place, Earth is unlikely to be the only planet where life has evolved.

You really don’t have to be a Stephen Hawkings for that kind of logic.

“To my mathematical brain, the numbers alone make thinking about aliens perfectly rational,” he said. “The real challenge is to work out what aliens might actually be like.”

Perhaps it would be good for Stephen to let go now and then that only mathematical thinking pattern and start reading the already available information about that.
That would so to say definitely bring him from being up out there back again to Earth.

He suggests that aliens might simply raid Earth for its resources and then move on: “We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn’t want to meet. I imagine they might exist in massive ships, having used up all the resources from their home planet.

Is it not very reasonable to assume that when those civilizations are capable of traveling among the stars, they are therefore also capable of creating most if not all the resources they need themselves.

Such advanced aliens would perhaps become nomads, looking to conquer and colonise whatever planets they can reach.”

Right, they definitely are not all nice guys in my opinion.

Hawking’s belief in aliens places him in good scientific company. In his recent Wonders of the Solar System BBC series, Professor Brian Cox backed the idea, too, suggesting Mars, Europa and Titan, a moon of Saturn, as likely places to look.

Similarly, Lord Rees, the astronomer royal, warned in a lecture earlier this year that aliens might prove to be beyond human understanding.

“I suspect there could be life and intelligence out there in forms we can’t conceive,” he said. “Just as a chimpanzee can’t understand quantum theory, it could be there are aspects of reality that are beyond the capacity of our brains.”

Because as said that Hawking’s belief in aliens places him in good scientific company, makes it so clear to me why we really have nothing at all to expect from scientists like those regarding the UFO phenomenon/Alien presence here on Earth.

An ostrich sticks when needed his head in the sand, but those scientists have sticking their heads obviously far out in space.

Originally posted by Matrix Rising
WOW!!!
This is Stephen Hawking saying this!!!

Right, WOW!!! indeed, and especially because people/scientists like Stephen Hawkings coming forward with such unbelievable naive remarks in 2010.

[edit on 25/4/10 by spacevisitor]

[edit on 25/4/10 by spacevisitor]

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 06:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Exuberant1
The United states should take the lead and orbit some nuclear warheads at various points between our earth and our moon (That's right - they're Ours. They belong to us..)

Anyhow...

These devices could be used to divert or mitigate and asteroid impact. In a worst case scenario they could be used on aliens which are deemed potentially hostile.

At the very least it would show any potential invader that humanity (at least part of it) is prepared to take steps to secure the safety of the people on the earth.

*I am unsure of how many nuclear bombs would be adequate for our needs. I imagine variable yield devices would make the most sense, but it is important to have enough energy at our disposal to deal with (or deter) any threats that may decide to stop by our planet.

Do you really think that our top tech is on par with the lowest end tech possible of a civilization that already manages space travel in ways we can only dream about?

At our current "evolutionary" stage all that any hostile alien race needs to do is come and claim it. We won't be able to do much without destroying the whole thing including ourselves.

If even the "curious" aliens that pass by here already have the tech to simply shutdown any electronic system (even mechanical systems) from a distance do you really think a single one of those "nukes" or whatever would get near their targets and detonate?

I doubt it. The only way would be if one poor soul decides to become kamikaze and sacrifice his own life for a good cause. But even in a case like that he/she would take the risk of being paralyzed, become unconscious or killed before managing to achieve the objective.

I say this because according to the report of abductees they can literally paralyze your body, shut you down into a unconscious state and I guess kill you without much trouble.

For any hostile civilization with the tech to manage space travel in that scale we are nothing more than than pretentious cockroaches.

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 06:23 AM
link   
reply to post by thomas_

You don't know anything about aliens.

But you act like you do.

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 06:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Exuberant1
The United states should take the lead and orbit some nuclear warheads at various points between our earth and our moon (That's right - they're Ours. They belong to us..)

Anyhow...

These devices could be used to divert or mitigate and asteroid impact. In a worst case scenario they could be used on aliens which are deemed potentially hostile.

At the very least it would show any potential invader that humanity (at least part of it) is prepared to take steps to secure the safety of the people on the earth.

*I am unsure of how many nuclear bombs would be adequate for our needs. I imagine variable yield devices would make the most sense, but it is important to have enough energy at our disposal to deal with (or deter) any threats that may decide to stop by our planet.

No offense, but i think this is a terrible idea.

A species with interstellar capability probably have many ways of mitigating the threat of nuclear warheads.

As for telling them we mean business, this could seem prevocational, barbaric (if the aliens are benevolent) and would display our full, and likely pathetic, military potential for distant eyes.

Worst of all, this 'terra-defense' would inevitably be direct at Earth itself in the event of conflicts between our own nations - eg. it would undoubtedly be utilized in a strike against Iran.

As for astroid defense - the benefits of this are hugely nullified by the above.

I'm sure on revue, you'd agree that you jumped the gun just a little on this one

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 06:27 AM
link   
Stephen Hawkings .... Mr. Representative Basket Case human !

SO smart .... but doesn't realise he has met aliens

and spouts THEIR wisdom????????

.... except in this case...

.... where he just repeats mafianomic twang!!!!!!!!

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 06:36 AM
link   
reply to post by McGinty

So you would rather make a bunch of assumptions and then use them to rationalize doing nothing.

Interesting.

*My idea is better than yours.

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 06:38 AM
link   
Hawking paints a very interesting picture. One which is rarely viewed of our Alien visitors and it makes perfect sense. Be careful with all of the fantastic cries for disclosure ...

It would seem that as of late people want to believe that Aliens are small, furry, tell jokes and come from Melmac. Hawking asserts that not all aliens fit this mold and that all aliens may not like reese's pieces. They may prefer tasty low sodium, low fat humans instead.

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 07:06 AM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

.... LOW SODIUM and LOW FAT ???????

Take a look around .... we are fat and sweet !

If Aliens ate humans ... we would NOT need Maccas !

[ ever heard of cannibals ? .... strictly earthy vampire stuff ]

[edit on 25-4-2010 by radarloveguy]

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 07:08 AM
link   
And Hawking said they are to be avoided. i've just read this on the BBC teletext. he said they would "raid" us and then move on. i bet that is wishful thinking; they wouldnt 'move on'...

so,top science man speaking of such things,are we being prepared? remember:YOU CAN'T HANDLE DISCLOSURE!!!

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 07:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by radarloveguy
reply to post by jibeho

.... LOW SODIUM and LOW FAT ???????

Take a look around .... we are fat and sweet !

If Aliens ate humans ... we would NOT need Maccas !

True, but the govt. has other plans for us. Just look at the Federal low sodium initiative and the removal of soda products and junk foods from our schools.

They are preparing the next generation of Alien fodder.
Must be a different Alien species than the species that will eat all of the fat and sweet ones who are rolling around now.

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 07:19 AM
link   
Well, it's a no brainer that the odds are for aliens to exist. Just as Hawking said; the chances of existance of aliens is really big. There are legions of planets existing that are in a simular orbit around simular suns with a simular size of earth. From those legions of planets like eart some are bond to have the same elements as earth and that means life. You simple got to assume the rule that if there is a chance, then life will happen.

There is life on different types of planets and elements and non-planetary cosmic substances as well possible. Only time is a real factor, some places will have life still in its early stages, others in later stages and some places might already be extinct.

But having Hawking saiing it might make some people dubble their effort in finding it the scientific way. Great man that Hawking, have all his books here on my bookshelf, basic natural physics never was that interesting unless it came from his book. Still waiting for someone to actually do some high natural physics, but it seems humanity still isn't advanced enought to actually do that yet. Hurry up with the unification theory already, i'm getting so bored that I might spoil the surprise and exitement of letting you guys discover it yourself.

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 07:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Exuberant1

Making assumptions about the ramifications of our actions are how we avoid bad situations.

And, are you suggesting that if we don't put nukes into orbit, then we are 'doing nothing'?

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 07:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Matrix Rising

we need ETs to bail us out of the mess that that we have been putting ourselves in

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 07:35 AM
link   
Well, this confirms it in my mind that Hawkins is off his rocker. I agree that a certain percentage of ETs might have ulterior motives and might simply want to raid and pillage, but he is basing his findings on culturally dominant mindsets (I.e. non Indigenous). Contact is not only going to occur - it most likely has already been occurring since day one of our inception here on Earth.

'Avoid your family and in-laws' - is a married man's mantra, not that of an inquiring and developing type 1 civilization.

[edit on 10/26/2009 by nethawk]

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 07:39 AM
link   
I have always believed in the existence of aliens, but I am also one who has an active imagination. So, it is easy for me to think about these things, and visualize them in my mind. However, a lot of people are limited by what society tells them is the norm...and do not believe in aliens, or even the possibility of it (except for in movie theaters, and TV shows).

It is good that respected scientists, like Stephen Hawking, are speaking out about the existence of life in our universe. We are not alone, and as he and others have said...do the math and see how easily it can be shown.

But, again, most people do not even know who Stephen Hawking is, or what he does. The man on the street segments, from the old Jay Leno show, will enlighten you on the intelligence of most people.

So, in reality, most people go about their daily lives, and do not care whether aliens exist or not. And, if they did show up, most people would have the same reaction. Are they going to kill me? Ok, if they are, just make it quick and don't hurt my friends and family. If not, what can you do for me?

Sad, really, as I would love to simply learn from them, if I could even comprehend what they had to say. Which, I guess is a bit selfish, but not quite as selfish as what most people would be asking for...money, power, etc.

[edit on 25-4-2010 by Yog-Sothoth]

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 07:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gakus

Originally posted by Jonas86
1) Intelligent life does not exist outside our planet (some still regard that as an option despite the mathematical odds being against it)

odds being against it?

quote a source or continue spewing bull# ..................... still waiting moron

What's your problem?

With all those billions of universes etc don't you think you can say "the odds are against there not being intelligent life anywhere else than on this planet"
You gotta read carefully.

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 07:50 AM
link   
I wouldn't be concerned about "space pirates" as much as they very likely would be carriers of diseases that we have no immunity to.

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 07:57 AM
link   
Can't wait for this documentary. It is on tonight 9pm eastern, discovery channel.

I aggree with everthing Hawkings was paraphrased saying. Especially that we should not seek out contact. After all look at this planet, all of the intelligent life is predatory. Hollywood may have it right

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 08:11 AM
link   
i had to join ATS so i could just put in my two cents.

Whats to say we are doomed if they come unless they can paralyze us remotely. In the movie independence day, we actually go low tech by today's standard and we found a weakness, i think a lot of you ant giving humanity credit.

sometimes low tech is of tactical advantage. just less hi end technology to be maintained. unless shielded somehow a simple emp could render them nearly defenseless, guns don't shut down with emp's.

and who's to say they are so much more advance than us, cryo sleep, or a very long life span could make interstellar travel possible for any intelligent species, even us. as for self suntanning colony's, i don't know.

if they want to eat us, they better already be here making vaccines, so they don't get sick and die.

i think we could learn a lot from aliens and they can learn a lot from us and/or our planet. wouldn't hurt to be prepared.

yeah maybe they enjoy a good hunt like some of us do, but we are hunters too. hunting a hunter might not be as fun.

unless they can disable use remotely or teleport us into space to die, we have a change.

honestly i think there is live within our own solar system, some of the ice moons of the outer solar system are my favorite example. some say there are liquid oceans underneath all that ice, if there is whose to say they aren't some squid like species or something on going about less or more smart that us

[edit on 25-4-2010 by quantumdragon]

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 08:26 AM
link   
For those who believe that aliens/Extra-terresterials will be a threat to mankind hypothesis, then they are givng less credit to mankind than it really deserves.

Throughout mankind's history, we had never fear advance tech or might. Look at the greeks against the Persians, Rome against the might of Hannibal. Slaves against their masters.

Even recent history, look at our bunch of founding fathers, who stoodfast against a numerical and technologically advanced nation that ruled and subjugated the world at that time - England, and yet it was the redcoats that got their asses kicked.

The asians then, who had been kept stupid by their rulers, were easily subdued by the redcoats. Some turned traitor against their own kind. But in the end, asians too took courage from the American example and with courage booted off the redcoats, by the sword and the pen in far more recent times.

Mankind just cannot be kept down for long. A conqueror will have to wipe out every single human life which is impossible, or one day, the attempt to rise up will naturally come. It is only ......human and the reason why we are the dominant species, either a flaw in our genetic makeup or our blessing.

The enemy now may not be the extra-terresterials. The true enemy are those who refuse to divulge alien intentions to us, so that we may have the opportunity to share, discuss and come out with solutions to deal with them. More heads are better than one. The longer such information are kept hidden, the lesser time mankind can prepare.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join