It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Has anyone here seen the movie Solaris (2002)?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 05:33 PM
link   
Excellent sci-fi movie. Maybe one of the best ever. There are what one could call "aliens" in the movie. The whole premise of the movie is mind-boggling and very original (even though it was a remake of the original movie). This is definitely not a movie for mental midgets. Those who don't like to think when watching movies can get bored with this movie.

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 05:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Viper2

I thought the remake was absolutely abysmal. On the other hand Tarkovsky's original version was a work of cinematic genius and should be seen by every lover of film. It's disappoints me that Tarkovsky's work is so underappreciated by the Western world. I'd definitely rank him up there with the likes of Kurosawa and Kubrick. So, if you liked the remake definitely check out the original as well as Tarkovsky's other masterpiece, Stalker, which I think is even better than Solaris and even more of a mind-trip.

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 07:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcalibur254

and read the novel Stalker is based on! It's called Roadside Picnic and was written by Arkady and Boris Strugatsky. Good stuff.

As for the Solaris remake, I didn't care for it that much.

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 07:21 PM
link   
I saw it, ... and I loved it, .... my favorite quote from the movie was: ... god I can't remember, but it was something along the lines of " I pretend, I perform the thousands of gestures which make up human existence untill they become routine again.

does anyone remember that one ??

I also saw part of the original, and although it was in russian it seemed very stylish and ahead of it's time.

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 12:22 AM
link   
I enjoyed it, the music was really awesome and haunting as well. I wouldn't say it is among my favorites, though.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 09:19 PM
link   
The original is one of my all time faves. The remake I liked for different reasons. It placed some focus in different aspects than the original, and made it somewhat of its own thing.

Stalker on the other hand is absolutely mind-melting. The pacing alone tells you its own story.

The Solaris redo is worth the watch i think, but should be no substitute for the original.

and for the record, I am an open-minded film snob.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 05:40 AM
link   
Never knew the original existed and I found Clooney's one to be a massive borefest.
Sorry, I hated it.

top topics

join