It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Unbelievable New Miniaturised Kidney Dialysis Technology

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 05:01 PM
link   
As per my previous threads highlighting just a few of the many fantastic achievements of the medical industry, here is a brilliant new miniaturised kidney dialysis technology.

Here is a picture of one the “current technology” kidney dialysis systems:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/1a9c582e251b.jpg[/atsimg]

Here is a picture of the miniaturised “new technology” kidney dialysis system:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/121bf3ca0e09.jpg[/atsimg]

www.nxstage.com...

Here is a BBC article & video regarding this new technology:

news.bbc.co.uk...

The fantastic thing about this new technology system is that it can be used at home very easily…..it requires only normal water & power, with no special plumbing or anything like that.

In fact, patients can take it with them when they visit people, go on holidays, etc…

This means that patients can use it much more often, which is the “holy grail” for dialysis patients…..in fact, they can even use it whilst they are sleeping!

This means the patients…..

- Feel unbelievably better

- Can often resume normal work & even play sport, etc….

- Have a much extended life expectancy

- Will never have to go back to sit in a hospital dialysis unit

- Can take the units on holidays, as per the large group that just went on a Caribbean cruise with their systems

Here are some fantastic patient stories, wherein they are telling about how their lives changed with this new technology:

www.nxstage.com...

I continue to be amazed at the incredibly intelligent & hard working people in the medical industry who make this sort of thing possible.

Kind regards
Maybe…maybe not

[edit on 22-4-2010 by Maybe...maybe not]

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Absolutely amazing.

Instead of starting all these spurious wars, we should be concentrating on this kind of invention, which actually helps people.

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by mithrawept
Absolutely amazing.

Instead of starting all these spurious wars, we should be concentrating on this kind of invention, which actually helps people.

Mithrawept.....

I agree completely.....so many more positive things could be achieved.

Kind regards
Maybe...maybe not

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 05:20 PM
link   
wow this is quite AWESOME!!
So let me tell u from MY point of view. I take my grandmother 3 times a week to Dialysis. Thankfully its somewhat close. BUt it takes me about an hour and a half to GET There...help her get situated and come home. And about another hour and a half to go back and bring her back. You can see how this is time consuming during the day. Most of the facility and workers are great. But its really tireing on my grandmothers mental health. to have to sit in a chair...for most of her day...just to come home and be horribly tired and just sleep the rest. Needless to say not much of a weekday life going on.
THEY DO have home dialysis units...only thing is...its the same as the machine above, but the iv goes into the STOMACH, and you have to have a nurse there, or someone who will take "responsibility" if something happens. It seems more of a hassle than help. My grandmother doesn't want to go anywhere far now, visit anyone out of town, go to places, eNJOY life...cause of the shackles to this dialysis. It might not be ready for HER to use in this life time. But im super happy to see that SOMEONE ELSE in the future might not have to go threw the same mental obstacles as my grandmother.

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by kaskade
wow this is quite AWESOME!!
So let me tell u from MY point of view. I take my grandmother 3 times a week to Dialysis. Thankfully its somewhat close. BUt it takes me about an hour and a half to GET There...help her get situated and come home. And about another hour and a half to go back and bring her back. You can see how this is time consuming during the day. Most of the facility and workers are great. But its really tireing on my grandmothers mental health. to have to sit in a chair...for most of her day...just to come home and be horribly tired and just sleep the rest. Needless to say not much of a weekday life going on.
THEY DO have home dialysis units...only thing is...its the same as the machine above, but the iv goes into the STOMACH, and you have to have a nurse there, or someone who will take "responsibility" if something happens. It seems more of a hassle than help. My grandmother doesn't want to go anywhere far now, visit anyone out of town, go to places, eNJOY life...cause of the shackles to this dialysis. It might not be ready for HER to use in this life time. But im super happy to see that SOMEONE ELSE in the future might not have to go threw the same mental obstacles as my grandmother.

Kaskade.....

That's really tough on you & your grandmother.....what a fantastic person you are to help her through this.

You are describing peritoneal dialysis.....the new system can replace that.

The new system is also available in California right now.

It is designed to be used at home without a nurse.

Kind regards
Maybe...maybe not

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 05:37 PM
link   
Wow that's amazing !

But... does it also work on battery power ? You know. In the case of a black out.

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sinter Klaas
Wow that's amazing !
But... does it also work on battery power ? You know. In the case of a black out.

Sinter Klaas.....

It is recommended that backup power be available.

Nevertheless I will find details for you regarding the situation you describe.

Kind regards
Maybe...maybe not

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 05:47 PM
link   
That is awesome!
I was born with one kidney, and 12 years ago my urologist predicted that it would probably fail within 10 to 12 years. Well, so far he was wrong, but that doesn't mean it won't happen one day. If I ever need dialysis, that little machine would be perfect!

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Patriot
That is awesome!
I was born with one kidney, and 12 years ago my urologist predicted that it would probably fail within 10 to 12 years. Well, so far he was wrong, but that doesn't mean it won't happen one day. If I ever need dialysis, that little machine would be perfect!

The Patriot.....

I agree.....

They're fantastic devices

Kind regards
Maybe...maybe not

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 05:51 PM
link   
Here's a video about a group of people who took their systems & went on a Caribbean cruise!

How good's that!

Kind regards
Maybe...maybe not

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 05:54 PM
link   
Absolutely fantastic.

Apart from the obvious "ease-of-use" and quality of life improvements for patients in the Western world (and I promise, most of my patients would *kill* for the chance to have a dialysis device that doesn't require lengthy treatments and being stuck in a clinic), I can only imagine what a boon this will be for third world health care.

I'm in the process of working my way into a public health group that routinely goes to eastern Europe (where my language might actually be of some use) and Africa. Having a portable means of providing dialysis available in the field on such trips would be incredibly useful, both for the doctors and patients.

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 06:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Maybe...maybe not

All it needs is the possibilty to work on a car battery unit. But is 12 volts enough? If you change it to a normal output of 220 /30 You would still need fuel to keep it going. ( A good thing of course ) It's not if you have to plug it in to charge.

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 06:11 PM
link   

Wow that's amazing !

Sinter Klaas.....

Here is the relative simple & established process that must be followed in case of a power outage where no back-up power is available:

- If the power returns within 3 minutes, the patient can continue the dialysis without a problem.

- If the power does not return within 3 minutes, the patient must discontinue the dialysis because of the risk of clotting.

- The patient would manually return the blood by squeezing the saline bag after clamping the dialysate line.

- This is a recognized process & an approved procedure utilised to return the patient’s blood & cease the treatment.

Kind regards
Maybe...maybe not

[edit on 22-4-2010 by Maybe...maybe not]

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 06:16 PM
link   
reply to post by VneZonyDostupa

VneZonyDostupa.....

I agree.....it's a tremendous advance.

The technology is only just now becoming available outside the USA......in fact I think there might only be 1 patient presently using this technology outside the USA!

It would be interesting to know the Co's response for the applications of this technology in the areas you have mentioned.

Kind regards
Maybe...maybe not

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Good afternoon Maybe...maybe not.

With all the flotsam and jetsam going on in the world, it's sometimes hard to find positive things such as this.

It warms my heart knowing there still is compassion in the world we live in, and this is but a small example of it.

Great find and thanks for sharing

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 06:35 PM
link   

All it needs is the possibilty to work on a car battery unit. But is 12 volts enough? If you change it to a normal output of 220 /30 You would still need fuel to keep it going. ( A good thing of course ) It's not if you have to plug it in to charge.

Sinter Klaas.....

Here is some info for you:

forums.homedialysis.org...

Howdy, although I am no expert by any means, a little online research yielded this. Due to the power requirements of the nxstage cycler, which is around 700 watts for the length of time required, 3 to 4 hours ( and warmer too ) the price from most UPS companies would be in the several hundred dollar range. Some are above the $1000 mark. Generally speaking UPS systems are used to either power the computer(s) until they can can be safely shut down OR until a back up generator can be brought online, which can take a minute or two in some cases. There is another alternative, and that is a battery/inverter system used by folks who "live off the grid". In other words they use their own power system instead of hooking up to the local electric company. In this case for the Nxstage cycler one scenario would be this: A pair of 12 volt deep cycle batteries, similar to those used in automobiles would be wired to an inverter/power manager/charger device that is of sufficient capacity to handle the load of the cycler(and perhaps an emergency light) The inverter device would convert the power from the batteries to the proper voltage for the cycler as well as make it palatable for the cycler as well as keep the batteries properly charged for instant use. Ther are a number of companies around the US and world that provide this kind of technology. In my research, I found that a system like this can be purchased in the US for between $200-$300 dollars. I can post webistes if anyone is interested.

Kind regards
Maybe...maybe not

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZombieJesus

Good afternoon Maybe...maybe not.

With all the flotsam and jetsam going on in the world, it's sometimes hard to find positive things such as this.

It warms my heart knowing there still is compassion in the world we live in, and this is but a small example of it.

Great find and thanks for sharing

ZombieJesus.....

I just have so much admiration & respect for the people in the medical industry who can develop such technology.

They are hard working & brilliant!

Kind regards
Maybe...maybe not

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 07:19 PM
link   

That's nice. Seriously, that is nice. Way more than what has been available to date. But I'm holding onto my transplant until I can have a small unit I can wear under my shirt.

Or better, yet, take my DNA and replicate my very own kidney.

Yeah, I am going to live until this is possible.

Great kudos to all medical persons and scientists who can help kidney failed peeps live a better life, along with all heart patients, etc.

Now if these folks can only find a way to keep me from being a moron or idiot from time to time.

[edit on 22-4-2010 by kyred]

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 07:26 PM
link   
reply to post by kyred

Kyred.....

I recently spoke to a lady who has been on dialysis for 25 years.

She said this new technology changed her life within 3 days.....she said she "never realised she could feel this good again!"

Kind regards
Maybe...maybe not

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 05:07 PM
link   
ATS Team:

Here is an interesting article about a fellow who has been able to adopt a “travelling” lifestyle by using the NxStage technology.

“Above & beyond” the “travelling” lifestyle, his normal “day to day” quality of life has improved a great deal due to his use of NxStage technology.

Texan Hits The Road In Support Of In-Home Dialysis

By Jordan Wompierski, 10 Aug 2010

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/7056ddaa91d0.jpg[/atsimg]

“This is my kidney” the 58-year-old Texas resident said as he pointed toward his NxStage portable in-home hemodialysis machine, the size of a 13-inch television.
Wells has end-stage renal disease, the fifth and final stage of chronic kidney disease. In 1998 he had a kidney transplant courtesy of his wife, but after eight years the kidney failed, relegating Wells to a lifetime of dialysis.

“The difference was 180 degrees” he said. “By my fourth day on this machine, I just felt so much better. I looked at my wife and said, “This is going to be so much better”……

Here is the link to the full article:

Texa n Hits The Road In Support Of In-Home Dialysis

Kind regards
Maybe...maybe not

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join