It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So, I have made my decision;

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 03:14 PM
link   
I have a life long freind who ran for mayor of a town. He did relatively well, or better than expected, but still lost.

It's not what you know, it's who you know!

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 03:15 PM
link   
to run and not get voted in is far better than not running and wondering what if. You take the step myself and many others never do: action

I know the world is messed up, I believe things can be better and have ideas, some vague, some more concrete, on what could be done but I do nothing more.

Thoughts and personal convictions spewed to the internet, friends and family and yet, here I am congradulating you on what I am not big enough to try.

I wish you the best of luck and hope you offer some much needed sensibility and responsibility to your community. To work in service of the community with the pure intent of fulfilling the duties with the spirit and respect of such a post is admirable.

I do not know you but the desire you express is inspiring and I hope you know win or lose, a person hundreds of miles north of you in another country was moved and stopped take a good long hard look at himself and what he could be doing in his own corner of the world.

Cheers

[edit on 22-4-2010 by thebulldog]

[edit on 22-4-2010 by thebulldog]

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 05:05 PM
link   
Your post gladdens my heart ! This is the first post I have seen about running for something as a way to help make things better. I commend your effort!
When I was much younger, I went to a local meeting to discuss corporate plans for a new health facility to be placed on the grounds of my home town's greatest landmark and claim to fame. The hospital would change the character of the community forever, so I had to go see what was up. Here is the lesson I learned:
The corporate suit dudes rattled on and brought our plans and maps, etc. People sat like sheeple and politely listened. I was an 8-month pregnant tiny woman with a tent-like pink blouse on, not impressive in the business sense. But I couldn't take the apathy, so I stood up to inspect those maps and plans for myself.
I was shocked when I looked back. Everyone in the room got up after me and started looking at the plans and talking about the issue. The lesson I learned was,
People love a leader, they are seeking a leader. They love when you get up and do something, they will respond. Best of luck to you ! Keep us informed !

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 09:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by CestLaVie
Your post gladdens my heart ! This is the first post I have seen about running for something as a way to help make things better. I commend your effort!
When I was much younger, I went to a local meeting to discuss corporate plans for a new health facility to be placed on the grounds of my home town's greatest landmark and claim to fame. The hospital would change the character of the community forever, so I had to go see what was up. Here is the lesson I learned:
The corporate suit dudes rattled on and brought our plans and maps, etc. People sat like sheeple and politely listened. I was an 8-month pregnant tiny woman with a tent-like pink blouse on, not impressive in the business sense. But I couldn't take the apathy, so I stood up to inspect those maps and plans for myself.
I was shocked when I looked back. Everyone in the room got up after me and started looking at the plans and talking about the issue. The lesson I learned was,
People love a leader, they are seeking a leader. They love when you get up and do something, they will respond. Best of luck to you ! Keep us informed !

I have learned from my time in the military that sometimes all it takes is for one person to get up and take the lead, just as you did, and they will follow. That's the problem with this world (not just our country). People are complacent with their situations and do not want to "rock the boat" so to speak. No matter how successful (or unsuccessful) I may ever be, I will never be complacent with my current situation no matter how good or bad it may be.
What happened to our good ol' USA spirit? What happened to living the American dream? Striving and pushing yourself beyond your comfort limits to achieve better for yourself and your family...it's all but dead.
It does not matter whether I win or lose. As long as I know I gave it my best shot, I will be satisfied. A loss will push me that much harder to win the next election. If I win and can effect a positive change in my small town, then so can anyone else who is reading this thread. It all starts with your home town and can only grow. People have delusions of grandeur. You don't go straight to the Fed for change; start locally. You want to restore this country to her former glory? Start with your home and work your way up. It may take longer but the long term outcome is well worth it. Talk of armed revolution is poppycock; run for a local government office and make the changes that will benefit all Americans one small town at a time. I said it before and I will say it again: baby steps.

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 09:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by prionace glauca
Well best of luck with your future endeavors. I would suggest one thing for you before you start your political future. That would be to change your ATS Screen Name from what it is now. "Acid_Burn.." doesn't really bring the best thoughts and it can put a damper for the path you have chosen.

After a quick search, it appears this is not possible unless I start another account. I don't really want to do that. Unless you have some info that I don't; not possible.

No worries, Acid Burn is from one of my all time favorite movies; Hackers. If my ATS account shows up in my candidacy for Mayor then someone is doing some serious digging for dirt. I don't really think this will be an issue, but good lookin' out!

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 10:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Acid_Burn2009

To be honest, I don't know you so I don't know if you are the best person for the job or not. Just being an ATS member gives you no special qualification. ATS is just another website, open to wingnuts as well as well-wishers.

But don't take that personally. I only say it to modulate some of the responders who are swelling your head with notions that somehow being a member of ATS makes you more qualified in some way.

Don't fall for it.

But if you are sincere, then I will offer a suggestion to the question you asked:

Perhaps you would care to give me a little practice regarding my stances on various subjects?

The only practice you need is to be able to listen to your community. Ask them what problems they see in the town. And work on fixing them.

Be realistic. Don't promise to bring jobs to the area if you can't. But promise to pave the potholes and fix the broken traffic lights and keep the sidewalks swept - things you can immediately control.

Be yourself, listen to your towns people, and have fun. And listen to the people. Did I remember to say listen to your towns people?

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 10:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by mishigas
reply to post by Acid_Burn2009

To be honest, I don't know you so I don't know if you are the best person for the job or not. Just being an ATS member gives you no special qualification. ATS is just another website, open to wingnuts as well as well-wishers.

But don't take that personally. I only say it to modulate some of the responders who are swelling your head with notions that somehow being a member of ATS makes you more qualified in some way.

Don't fall for it.

But if you are sincere, then I will offer a suggestion to the question you asked:

Perhaps you would care to give me a little practice regarding my stances on various subjects?

The only practice you need is to be able to listen to your community. Ask them what problems they see in the town. And work on fixing them.

Be realistic. Don't promise to bring jobs to the area if you can't. But promise to pave the potholes and fix the broken traffic lights and keep the sidewalks swept - things you can immediately control.

Be yourself, listen to your towns people, and have fun. And listen to the people. Did I remember to say listen to your towns people?

No worries. I am realistic and I know that this forum does not qualify me for anything...except for maybe a loony bin after reading some of the more outlandish threads

Lies are no basis for a campaign of any political office. I said in a previous post, that if elected, I am the one voice for the collective people that voted me in office. That's what it's all about, isn't it? Listening to the people? Achieving objectives that are in the best interests of the town's people? I have always been a leader who is confident in his abilities. I will never wage a campaign filled with lies that I know will never happen.

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 10:30 PM
link   

Lies are no basis for a campaign of any political office. I said in a previous post, that if elected, I am the one voice for the collective people that voted me in office. That's what it's all about, isn't it? Listening to the people? Achieving objectives that are in the best interests of the town's people?

It's good that you are confident. But I still think you are missing the key. Be results-oriented. You are the voice of all the people, and that means not only the ones who voted for you. A problem that may seem small to you may be huge to a resident.

Ciao.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join