It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

South Korea Suspects North Korean Torpedo Behind Ship Sinking

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 02:40 AM
link   

South Korea Suspects North Korean Torpedo Behind Ship Sinking

www.foxnews.com

South Korea suspects a North Korean torpedo caused the mysterious sinking of one of its navy ships last month, Reuters reported, citing South Korea's Yonhap News.

The South Korean military points to intelligence gathered in a joint investigation with the United States, marking the strongest accusations yet that North Korea was behind the March 26 incident.

Fifty-eight of the ship's crew were rescued while the ship was sinking and 38 bodies have been found, most of them last week, when the stern was raised from the water. Eight crew members are still unaccounted for.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
**BREAKING**-North Korea Denies sinking South's warship

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 02:40 AM
link   
Ships don't just break apart that often. It is looking more and more like a torpedo was the cause and that North Korea was the culprit!

The South Korean military points to intelligence gathered in a joint investigation with the United States, marking the strongest accusations yet that North Korea was behind the March 26 incident.

Last week, North Korea accused South Korea of spreading false rumors about the incident. North Korean officials have denied involvement in the blast that broke the 1,200-ton Cheonan into two pieces during a routine patrol near the countries' sea border.

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 02:43 AM
link   
What's the US doing investigating this? Are SK so retarded and helpless they can't do a proper investigation on their own?

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 02:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by charlie_the_loafer
What's the US doing investigating this? Are SK so retarded and helpless they can't do a proper investigation on their own?

What's wrong with that? Oh wait let me guess, a false flag by the U.S. as always?

[edit on 22-4-2010 by Clisen33]

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 03:09 AM
link   
As i see it it's not the US business over there and it only the investigation less credible .
Just like the polish people think about the investigation in Russia conducted by Putin and they started an investigation on their own.

It ain't a false flag for me but the US have a history of interfering in many regions , only because of interests , and actions are masked behind other motives.
Do you get my point now?

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 03:09 AM
link   
Last I heard/read in the Stars&Stripes newspaper was that they were sure it was an internal explosion caused probably by hitting a coral reef or such.

US and SK are partners in military. In order to ensure our cooperation we aid them in a lot of ways. In this case of the threat of a war in the pacific between two nuclear powers, the US will intervene. Both SK and NK want each other dead, so its best to have a neutral partner help investigate.

[edit on 22-4-2010 by DeltaCommando5]

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 03:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by charlie_the_loafer
As i see it it's not the US business over there and it only the investigation less credible .
Just like the polish people think about the investigation in Russia conducted by Putin and they started an investigation on their own.

It ain't a false flag for me but the US have a history of interfering in many regions , only because of interests , and actions are masked behind other motives.
Do you get my point now?

Maybe they were asked to assist? I'm not sure myself to be honest, but SK could have just said "let us do it". Who knows.

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 04:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by DeltaCommando5
its best to have a neutral partner help investigate.

[edit on 22-4-2010 by DeltaCommando5]

I don't think you were serious with the "neutral " part....
By no means is the US neutral when it comes to a conflict between NK and SK .

For further documentation please read this page and you will understand why : en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 07:06 AM
link   
reply to post by plumranch

S&F

I read an article two days ago stating South Korea Vowed revenge for the sinking. That clued me in this was coming before this story broke.

Stay tuned.

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 07:09 AM
link   
reply to post by charlie_the_loafer

I think it may be beacue there are over 20,000 American troops still stationed in SK. And one can only assume there are also CIA and other intelligence agencies in the country.

I don't think SK have much choice in accepting American 'help' in this investigation.

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 07:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Peruvianmonk

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 11:34 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

I read an article two days ago stating South Korea Vowed revenge for the sinking. That clued me in this was coming before this story broke.

Something like a N. Korean ship and crew suddenly goes missing. Something with some plausible deny-ability but obvious to N. Korea?

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 11:45 AM
link   
reply to post by plumranch

You know what this could have been?

A Nervous Trigger happy N Korean Skipper.

Afterwords both sides were like

Oh... CRAP>

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 07:49 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

I think you could be right. No apologies in the news but N. Korea has been quiet lately, perhaps they have their tail between their legs, hoping nothing will come of this.

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 08:10 PM
link   
N Korea denies it sank the ship.

S Korea's leader is more concerned about the finances than retaliation.

www.reuters.com...
"The reclusive North has denied it had anything to do with the sinking near the disputed sea border off the west coast that has been the scene of two deadly naval battles in the past decade.....Market players have been calmed by the South's measured response.....there is little South Korea can do even if Pyongyang is found to be the culprit, because a military response was likely to hurt its own quickly recovering economy...South Korea has few economic options left to hurt the North. It has already suspended its unconditional handouts that once were worth more than $1 billion to the North"

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 08:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcouncil=wisdom

Thanks!

And from the same Reuter's article:

Yonhap said the South Korean and U.S. military suspected the North was stepping up drills to infiltrate a submarine south of the naval border, hidden among Chinese fishing boats, and wage a surprise attack against the South.

Sneeky.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 11:33 AM
link   
Suicide submariners

www.telegraph.co.uk...
"sources say they have been told that the attack was carried out on the orders of Mr Kim and involved a unit of 13 specially trained commandos and modified midget submarines....The submarines were manoeuvred close to their target before being detonated, probably along with their crews"

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcouncil=wisdom

More from the Telegraph:

The submarines were manoeuvred close to their target before being detonated, probably along with their crews. Alternatively, the attackers may have used timed charges.

If North Korea was behind the attack, it would be the bloodiest single incident since an uneasy truce brought the Korean War to an end in 1953.

If the mini sub report is right there should be a lot of submarine debris lying around! It happened in shallow water.

top topics

join