It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Army's Plans for an Unmanned Air Force

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 08:01 PM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/e64db7e4ee61.jpg[/atsimg]

Stoking its rivalry with the Air Force, the Army plots a way forward for its fleet of unmanned airplanes -- predicting a wider range of missions, the rise of remotely piloted helicopters and the arrival of swarms of indoor-flying mini-drones. Army officials Thursday released a plan that lays out how the service will use unmanned aerial vehicles over the next 15 years, proposing a future where autonomous UAVs fly for days over battlefields or for scant minutes inside buildings.

Maj. Gen. James Barclay III, the commanding general in charge of Army aviation, today released the "Unmanned Aircraft Systems [UAS] Roadmap 2010–2035" at an Army aviation conference in Fort Worth, Texas. Its subtitle, "Eyes of the Army," hints at the plan's early focus on reconnaissance, but the scope of the roadmap expands enough so that, by 2025, a single soldier will be able to use a common controller to operate multiple kinds of unmanned aerial vehicles, including tiny robots that can fly indoors.

Army officials flatly state that this will not happen. "We don't believe in the next 25 years you will see a level of autonomy that we as an American people would allow ... a platform to kill autonomously," Carlile says. "It comes down to this: The technology will exist before we, as a people and as a nation, will accept it."

Source: www.foxnews.com...

I tell you, war will be like COD before too long. I think it is terrific the Army is incoporating these things into there arsenal. I won't be surprised if someday down the road it comes out the US Military was the designers and supporters of COD and games like it.

Look at this pic with bombs attached. I wonder if both bombs have to be dropped at once to prevent uneven weight distribution etc?

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/80ae7d91eec9.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 08:18 PM
link   
Your title is misleading

But yea there are drastic steps being takin to get a lot more UAV's out on the battlefield for assisting our soldiers. But at the same time nothing will ever replace a pilot's intuition. Granted they will be controlled by people but at the same time having someone in the cockpit is much more effective for positive identification of targets rather that seeing them on a computer screen.

Great find S+F

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 08:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Reign02

Not my Thread Title-the new piece's title. I posted it as required when posting.

Sorry, and I do agree but I wasn't going to alter it.

join