It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Favorite Sci-Fi Character?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2010 @ 05:14 PM
link   
i really hope this counts, but i really liked the Transformers when i was little. I thought it would have been bad arse if i could have a (pet) robot and go explore space and time etc.

posted on Oct, 17 2010 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Marvin the Martian.

I mean, seriously... The little dude rocks.

posted on Oct, 17 2010 @ 11:24 AM
link   
Who's that dude from the Metal Gear Solid games? The guy that is like a robot ninja, Raden, Raiden? I don't know his name but yeah..that guy. Also I like Zap Brannigan from Futurama.
He his such the perfect parody of every conceited SciFi guy I have ever seen.. Oh yeah I like Captain Kirk too.

posted on Oct, 17 2010 @ 12:00 PM
link   
After this, my geekhood is totally exposed. *contemplates, sighs, and continues...*

This is a huge genre and I can't believe we can only pick one. Good thing I'm not accustomed to following rules. Muhahaha!

In full disclosure, I must admit I named my daughter after Capt. Kathryn Janeway. I love a strong, independent female lead. Seven of Nine isn't bad to look at either

In all things, my tastes tend to veer in dark direction. I was recently, and pleasantly, surprised to discover Darth Bane. I simply must read every single night. I had run out of material and begun eyeing a trio of books I had bought my husband for Fathers Day. I was very resistant as I felt reading a Star Wars book would tip the nerd scales, I'm already a huge gamer and would prefer to remain in that realm of geekhood. Under the cloak and secrecy of nighttime, I opened the first book and began reading.

I quickly burned through all three books. These are well written, suspenseful books and if I wasn't so embarrassed, I would recommend them highly! Darth Bane is an intriguing character with a lot of depth. He brought down the entire 'Dark Brotherhood' and reinstituted the Rule of Two. I won't give away any more then that. I find myself hoping there is a fourth book. *blushes brightly*

I'm so glad this thread wasn't about the genre of fantasy or I would have been pondering my answer for days! So there, I've admitted my dark secret. If you tell anyone I've read a Star Wars book, I will stab you in the eye with my red light saber!

posted on Oct, 17 2010 @ 12:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Whisper67

If its any consolation I too named my daughter in a fit of SciFi rage. "Snowen Krystanna"
Snowen after a passing character from an Asimov short story, and Krystanna after the actress that played the female terminator in rise of the machines. What a nerd I am.

edit on 17-10-2010 by snowen20 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Has to be Batman for me. A dude who can fight and beat something as cosmic as "The God of Evil" on the same day he punches the Devil in the face only to pause briefly to travel through time before goin back to beating the crap out of strret level rapists and bank robbers is pretty hard to beat.

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Ben Linus was awesome, as too was the holographic doctor on voyager & lets not forget 7 of 9 yeeaeaahh & the borg queen too!

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 10:26 PM
link   
Well number one hands down the alien that has guided me my whole life Yoda. You just can't find any wiser.
Followed by G'Kar and Londo Mollari From Babylon 5.
After that it's pretty much a coin toss but John Sheridan, Susan Ivanova, Micheal Garibaldi. Also from Babylon 5.
Sorry its such a great show and with the characters well written it is hard to put any one of them above the others.

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 07:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by seagull
Marvin the Martian.

I mean, seriously... The little dude rocks.

he is the best

on the sci-fi book side, there is a writer called michael moorcock who wrote about the adventures of the clapham anti-christ, jerry cornelius

en.wikipedia.org...

there is a film from the first book - the final programme

www.imdb.com...

one of my favourite characters

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 07:54 AM
link   
reply to post by solvectra

A Marvin the Martian fan? I like you...

Micheal Moorcock was one of my favorite authors when was younger, but somehow, over the years, he's not nearly as appealing to me as he once was... ...and I can't tell you why. Changing tastes, I guess.

But I loved all his characters, major and supporting, spent hours reading, sometimes rereading his stories.

Robert Heinlein is still my very most favorite author. The heiroine of "Friday", Friday Jones, is my favorite Heinlein character. Tough, sexy, smart, and street savvy...did I mention tough?

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 08:32 AM
link   
Signory Weaver as Ripley in the first Alien Movie.

Right when she is to go back down to get Newt, she is packed to the hilt in fire power, weighed down, she enters the elevator, leans against the side and for a brief moment, looks scared and shows her humanly fraility.

But knowing within her heart, she cannot abandon someone weaker than herself, closes her eyes for a minute to pull herself together and pushes the button to descend into the maws of hell to do whatever she has to in order to save Newt.

I only hope when and if I am ever tested, I have half the mettle this charactor showed.

As I have gotten older, I do not read a lot of Sci-Fi like I use to, now it's mainly political and current event books - however I did come across a most interesting set of 3 books that I bought for my grand daughter, "The Midnighters" by Scott Westerfeld and the charactor that impressed me the most was Melissa, the Mindcaster. The charactor portrayed is a individual with true power and yet, she questions her motives and actions. She doesn't sell her soul.

Now, this book is listed for "young adults" but I found all three Midnighter books by Scott Westerfeld quite interesting because the storyline dealt with time and mutiple dimensions.

I also like charactors that are out of the ordinary, not your run of the mill Barb & Ken. These kids were "the outcast".

1) The Secret Hour
2) Touch of Darkness
3) Blue Noon
edit on 7-11-2010 by ofhumandescent because: grammar & spelling

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 08:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Whisper67

Wow, very cool indeed Whisper. Maybe your daughter will one day aspire to being a starship captain or perhaps her daugher..........who knows.

Yes, I liked Captain Kathryn Janeway.

She was strong, yet never willing to give up her principles. A real roll model.

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 08:41 AM
link   
reply to post by seagull

Yes you are most correct, and this little dude didn't take any bs from anyone either.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/df3b6850e51d.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 08:35 PM
link   
The Doctor most defintenly. Or maybe Col. Jack O'neil from Stargate. Ohh I can't decide. I love them both. Or

maybe Clark Kent......hmm. Someone stop me please! I am gonna short out my keyboard!!

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 07:49 AM
link   
Colonel Jack o'neill

Classic from Stargate.

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 08:54 AM
link   
I just remembered my other favourite Sci Fi characters from my childhood.

The Cuboids and the Zeroids from Terrahawkes, they were so cute, in a lazer eyed robot type way

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/a6082e0a838f.jpg[/atsimg]
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/4c0e90795294.jpg[/atsimg]

I have no clue if anyone else remembers them, but I'm tempted to try and find one on Ebay while my girlfriend is in Edinburgh

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 05:46 PM
link   
Ok, so these are more scifan than scifi but there we are,

Aiken Drum, the Nonborn King from Julian May's Saga of the Exiles

Moorcock's anti-hero, Elric of Melniboné, the stealer of souls.

Heinlein's Valentine Michael Smith (Stranger in a Strange Land)

Gordon Strorm, the spider man, from Wyndham's the Chrysalids

Walter and Zimmerman from Ben Elton's Stark

Huxley's John (the Savage) from Brave New World

And of course not forgetting Orwell's Winston.

And from the movies it's got to be Edward Scissorhands or maybe Ripley.

Or maybe I should be concerned about how involved I can get with the fictional mavericks and antiheros that win the day, even if by dint of their character's ultimate darkness or bathos, they fail in the end!

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 07:31 PM
link   
Some good choices, but.....

number

1) Lazarus Long

Lazarus Long is a fictional character featured in a number of science fiction novels by Robert A. Heinlein. Born in 1912 in the third generation of a long-life selective breeding experiment run by the Ira Howard Foundation, Lazarus (whose birth name is Woodrow Wilson Smith) turns out to be unusually long-lived, living well over two thousand years with the aid of occasional rejuvenation treatments.

Add on, stealing starships, plotting and fighting in rebellion, colonizing planets, ect.. (did I mention time traveler)

2)Hari Seldon

Hari Seldon, a fictional character, is the intellectual hero of Isaac Asimov's Foundation Series. In his capacity as mathematics professor at Streeling University on Trantor, he developed psychohistory, allowing him to predict the future in probabilistic terms. His prediction of the eventual fall of the Galactic Empire is the reason behind his nickname "The Raven" Seldon.

Brains, (insert evil laugh by me)

3) Sylar

Gabriel Gray, more commonly known by his assumed name of Sylar (a name obtained from a brand of watch he encountered as a watchmaker), is one of the primary antagonists and antiheroes in the NBC drama Heroes. Portrayed by Zachary Quinto, he is a superpowered serial killer who targets other superhumans in order to steal their powers. He served as the primary villain of the first season and then as a recurring antagonist. After being rescued from a mental prison by Peter Petrelli in "The Wall", Sylar has now identified himself as a hero in "Brave New World".

Coolness factor

4)Parry (for love of evil)

Parry, not understanding what she's asking of him and wanting to honor this last wish before he succumbs to death, does as Lilah requests, and is suddenly transformed into the new Incarnation of Evil and takes the name Satan. (It is later explained that if no-one claims the office, it seeks out the most qualified person for that position. So if Parry hadn't claimed the office as Lilah had told him, it would have found the most evil person on earth to take Lucifer's place.)

He became evil's personification

just a small part of the list

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 07:44 PM
link   
Starbuck for a TV show

For a movie Dr. Reinhardt from The black Hole

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 08:36 PM
link   
I would have to say Dr. Daniel Jackson from Stargate SG-1. I liked the way he was always learning how ancient technologies worked.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join