It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Eyjafjallajökull Caldera Eruption

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 12:39 PM
link   
OH! Stay Safe!
And keep us updated.
In that order, lol, not the reverse!

peace to you

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 12:58 PM
link   
I fly into Keflavic airport in 3 days time......

My girlfriend and I booked the trip a week ago and hoped we would catch a bit of the eruption. I was disappointed to hear the eruption was dying down yesterday - what a difference a day makes.

I'm not sure this one looks like it will be as 'tourist friendly' as the last one though. I can't see tour operators doing trips to see the flooding....

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 01:28 PM
link   
The difference between the Fissure eruption and this was that after the first day of data gathering and watching what the Fissure was doing, the Icelandic Authorities were happy to let sightseer's view the eruption for themselves. Only 4x4 and off-road vehicles could only get to the location anyway.

With this eruption is that it's a explosive event, coupled with the Lahaars, the infastructure is pretty much gone around the Volcano from floodwaters, ash deposits or simply unreachable in itself. The magma is now in a Plinian explosive state during its migration to the Caldera from the outer rim, this in mind, I don't think anyone will be allowed near the Volcano whilst its in a eruptive phase (or a long time after.)

MY THOUGHTS...

It seems to me this eruption is steadily turning from a Phreatomagmatic eruption, to a more substantial small-scale Plinian event. As forcing Magma has been somewhat stunted from movement due to the Glacial Phreatomagmatic eruption, which in turn has caused explosive gasses to occur within the Conduit system resulting in this continual explosive eruption.
Eyjaf is merely "clearing its throat" in terms of what's been vented out so far.

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 01:35 PM
link   
This eruption in Eyjafjallajökli will most likely trigger an eruption
in Katla which is a bigger volcano not too far off from there.

Its not for certain ,but the chances of it have just gone up greatly after this.

Some great work today by a worker on a bulldozer
prevented the destruction of some bridges in the area by the floods.

[edit on 14/4/2010 by Mystic Technician]

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Folks, look at the web cam - clearing - major, major black ash cloud

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Anmarie96

you mean that dark at the lower half of screen?

yep see the clouds moving black clouds indeed !

[edit on 14-4-2010 by ressiv]

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 02:19 PM
link   
reply to post by ressiv

Isn't that the mountain rock, then snow, then currently cloud cover but where there's breaks in the cloud is looks really black so I presume that's the ash plume ?

[Edit]Can see the massive ash plume now, it looks scary

[edit on 14/4/10 by Discotech]

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 02:19 PM
link   
reply to post by ressiv

Sorry you missed it - keep watch on the sky area - occasional there is a break in the weather and you can see the black ominous ash cloud billowing upward

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 02:22 PM
link   
An interesting image:
scienceblogs.com...

As is stated in the article, there is a warning for floodings

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Thanks for the info on this volcano. I'm surprised no one has posted about the 6.9 earthquake in China today (well, early Weds in China, about 7:49pm ET Tues). It's on CNN here:

www.cnn.com...

It certainly seems like, since the Haiti quake, large-magnitude earthquakes and volcanic activity have been occurring much more frequently than normal. I recall reading on here about how there were 40 7.0 quakes in one year back in the 40's or 50's so maybe what we're seeing isn't completely unusual, but... so many in one month?

[edit on 14-4-2010 by jane_of_CA]

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 02:41 PM
link   
grrr damned clouds...
any list of online webicorders in iceland????

[edit on 14-4-2010 by ressiv]

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by jane_of_CA

Hi, We have been following posting the earthquakes - in the Quake Watch Thread. And, we have also been following the Volcanoes on the Volcano Watch Thread.

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Not really on topic but when I saw the thread title I thought "Did he just bang his head on the keyboard for a second to get that name?" Then I read the article. Hopefully everyone is evacuated before anything ugly happens with this one.

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Hypntick

They already evacuated the area.

Right now another wave of flooding is expected as black plume of smoke is rising.

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Im very interested in this volcano having set of the volcano nearest to it Katla, everytime it's gone of in recorded history.
Now the volcano in question went of last month, and it's properly gone of today it seem's.
Im no volcanologist or anything, but what is the distance between Katla, and the volcano in question. Why is it this is always a predecesour to the larger volcano Katla? are they connected somehow?

I believe we may be about to witness Katla going of, I live in the UK, guess that kind's of scary really.

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 04:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Mr Zeropoint

Here is a link to a pictures, from Eyjafjallajökli.

img.visir.is...

I was also reading, there will probably be no flights in norway tomorrow, because of ash in the air. So everything is going on here in Iceland

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 04:37 PM
link   
wow awesum picture dude, really cool
Was google earthing, i think Katla is 25-30 Km from Eyjaf

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 04:38 PM
link   
Now are more news, there could be 2 other eruption on the way, here in Iceland. So Iceland is waking up again

People living under the eruption Grímsvötn and Upptyppingum
Grímsvötn are preparing for the next eruption. Then there was a deep tremor in Upptyppingum last night that underpin the eruption may be the next search.
Wednesday 14th April 2010 at 19:59

Author: Einar Þór Sigurðsson ([email protected])

Páll Einarsson jarðeðlisfræðingur.

Grímsvötn have been preparing for since the eruption last erupted in 2004. Then began living with clips Upptyppinga in 2007 that lasted several months. To date, deep earthquakes kræla let down, or up until last night. Páll Einarsson jarðeðlisfræðingur says that evidence suggests that the eruption will begin at these two locations in the near future.

"Grímsvötn have been preparing for his next drink, really since the last Jack in 2004. It has been possible to monitor the magma has accumulated there, "says Paul, but allmyndarlegur tremor was in Grímsvötn morning.

"Grímsvötn are about to be ready to drink and also the water balance to be high. There are likely to run on anything coming up in every other case, and then may do something similar as last year 2004. Then the gel first, so they bring the eruption started. It's a very similar position now. It was handsome in Grímsvötn tremor this morning, "says Paul.

Regarding Upptyppinga Paul say that the clips have been living in the Earth in 2007 and 2008 and it lasted more months. Then came the magma into the lower crust which lifted the country in large sections. Upptyppingar are close to Askja where volcanic eruptions occurred in 1961.

"The site has been tifandi smáskjálfta activity. However, these deep earthquakes themselves carefully. They were just in this period was when the wall insert. It happened again last night, however, that it was launched deep earthquakes in the same time and rhythm in Eyjafjallajökull started last night, "says Paul.

When asked whether the likelihood that people will see the three volcanoes in another he says that the probability exist, however they are not very strong. "This reminds us that we live in the country."

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 04:46 PM
link   
Is there any very dangerous volcanoes that could erupt soon in Iceland due to this eruption? I mean like an eruption that would even hurt the UK or Noway?

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Deleted

[edit on 14-4-2010 by Mr Zeropoint]

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join