It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Justice John Paul Stevens to retire from Supreme Court bench; Get ready for the fire this time

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 01:11 PM
link   
trueslant.com...

If Justice Sonia Sotomayor’s confirmation to the bench was a trip across the Atlantic in a canoe, confirming whoever will succeed Justice Stevens is going to be like the voyage across the Drake Passage to Antarctica.

Bear in mind that Justice Sotomayor is a woman with decades of experience as a judge, and has never shown herself to be a radical in any of her rulings. And yet Republicans in the Senate and their conservative allies on the outside hurled every epithet they could imagine at her politics.

That all came prior to the nine months of political poison we endured in the course of the never-ending health care reform debate. And even before that all went down, before the town halls and the bricks through windows, before ‘You lie!’ and ‘It’s a baby killer!’ Senator Jeff Sessions, the Alabama Republican who is the Senate Judiciary Committee’s Ranking Minority Member, declared in a speech after Sotomayor’s next session that he would fight with even more teeth and nails against whoever President Obama picks next.

[mod edit: added external source tags]
Mod Edit: No Quote/Plagiarism – Please Review This Link.
Mod Edit: External Source Tags – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 9-4-2010 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 01:14 PM
link   
We thought we saw a circus last time. I can't even imagine how this is going to turn out. Anybody know of any possible next choices for Barry?

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Every expert report I've seen has him nominating a moderate liberal, trying to avoid a major fight and keeping the balance of the court as it is. Politically it is much harder for the Republicans to oppose a nomination that generally does not change anything really.

I'm looking for the fireworks too but Obama is looking for a fizzle not a bang.

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Sorry about that. I didn't mean to make it look that way. I'll be more careful next time.

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by devildogUSMC
Anybody know of any possible next choices for Barry?

Well, no matter who is chosen, it will be labelled a far left stalinist, maoist, commie pinko...so, he might as well simply shove in Michael Moore and give them something to truely cry about.

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 02:56 PM
link   
As far as I'm concerned, whoever gets nominated, whatever their policital ideology, they should be scrutinized heavily. They will be there for probably the rest of their life, or at least until they're too old to do it anymore and there is no court higher in America. Do you really think it should be easy for any president to put anyone on the supreme court? I mean, its the highest court in the country. Scrutinize every little thing they have done.

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Wouldn't it be cool to get a supreme justice that actually goes not by ideology and simply by word of law and constitution as written without the need to push any agenda whatsoever?

Put a damn computer in charge...let emotion completely go wasted and have just technical rulings determine outcome.

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Justice Stevens is considered a liberal judge. When he retires Obama will replace him with another liberal so the balance of power will not change in the Supreme Court. Things will stay pretty much the same.

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 01:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Erasurehead

It looks like judge Stevens might have shaken things up a little before he leaves. I wonder if will still be retiring if he has to deal that matter.

new topics

top topics

join