It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What's your nomination for Most Important book written in the last 466 years?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 01:15 AM
link   
It can be on any subject
in any deciphered language
obscurity does not disqualify, and
even if it is widely accepted as a hoax
it is still admissible as your nomination for
Most Important Book written in the last 466 years.

David Grouchy

[Update]
(Votes) list sorted by two or more

(5) On the Origin of the species
(4) Philosophiæ Naturalis Principia Mathematica by I. Newton
(3) 1984
(2) Candide
(2) The Celestine Prophecy
(2) The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins
(2) The Structure of scientific revolutions

[edit on 8-4-2010 by davidgrouchy]

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 01:21 AM
link   
I nominate "Cash," by Johnny Cash.

More seriously... this is a good question. Although there have been many important and beautiful works of literature in many languages during this time, I think it would have to be a work of non-fiction. Probably the writings of Newton or Einstein would be high on any such list.

Why 466 years, by the way? Why not a round number like "400" or "500" ?

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 01:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by silent thunder
Why 466 years, by the way? Why not a round number like "400" or "500" ?

I chose the time limit
of 466 years so to exclude
de revolutionibus orbium coelestium.

David Grouchy

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 01:52 AM
link   
Mien Kampf And 1984 and both for the same reason. We must always remain vigilant the enemy is truly at the gates. We must always keep a keen eye looking for the truth. It seems we have opened the gates in the last 10 years and vigilance has given way to apathy and political correctness. We do not see the truth we beleive what men have to say over our own hearts and minds.

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 02:07 AM
link   

Welcome to the dust speck...

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 02:41 AM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/a4f2a43c7f3b.jpg[/atsimg]

If everyone read it, and absorbed it's wisdom, we'd be better off.

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 02:43 AM
link   
I think the things we remember as kids are the most important memories of our lives...............

hence..............

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/06ff7d0e303a.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 02:44 AM
link   
The twelfth planet by Zecharia Sitchin. Get over it already.

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 02:52 AM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/d3385a6d38d0.jpg[/atsimg]
Anastasia The Ringing Cedars of Russia Series

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/66f8944e9990.jpg[/atsimg]
Temple of Spiritual Activism

∞LOVE∞

[edit on 8-4-2010 by awake1234]

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 02:53 AM
link   
On the Origin of Species

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 02:55 AM
link   
1. Rene Descartes: Meditations on First Philosophy
2. Immanuel Kant: Critique of Pure Reason
3. Karl Marx: Capital

EDIT to add:
The OP question is bit stupid IMHO. Marx is not possible without Hegel, Hegel is not possible without Kant and Kant is not possible without Descartes. All of them are not possible without Socrates/Plato/Aristotle. Philosophy is based on tradition and is nonsense without tradition. There is no single most important book. All cannon should be viewed as one book. Philosophy is truly "gigantomachia peri tes ousias" and philosophers are only actors in this never ending quarrel.

EDIT to add2: I should add brief explanation:
1. Descartes is founder of modern scientific method.
2. Kant is founder of great tradition of German idealistic philosophy. Time and space as MIND forms of notion is simply ingenious.
3. Great sociologist, sharp analyzer, inspiration of idea, that even if you are poor you are still human being.

[edit on 8-4-2010 by zeddissad]

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 02:55 AM
link   
George Orwell's Nineteen Eighty-Four.

Even as a work of fiction, the concepts contained in the book are true, or at least controversial in that it is debated to be true or false. Nineteen Eighty-Four is simply timeless, because regardless of when it is read the issues are still prevalent at any time and wherever you are.

Classic.

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 03:04 AM
link   
The Law Of One series

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/13429794eb65.jpg[/atsimg]

Amazing information.

[edit on 8-4-2010 by srsen]

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 03:09 AM
link   
The Spirit of Laws by Baron de Montisquieu

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/9227034c1302.jpg[/atsimg]

[edit on 8-4-2010 by fizzy1]

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 03:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by zeddissad
1. Rene Descartes: Meditations on First Philosophy
2. Immanuel Kant: Critique of Pure Reason
3. Karl Marx: Capital

EDIT to add:
The OP question is bit stupid IMHO. Marx is not possible without Hegel, Hegel is not possible without Kant and Kant is not possible without Descartes. All of them are not possible without Socrates/Plato/Aristotle. Philosophy is based on tradition and is nonsense without tradition. There is no single most important book. All cannon should be viewed as one book. Philosophy is truly "gigantomachia peri tes ousias" and philosophers are only actors in this never ending quarrel.

EDIT to add2: I should add brief explanation:
1. Descartes is founder of modern scientific method.
2. Kant is founder of great tradition of German idealistic philosophy. Time and space as MIND forms of notion is simply ingenious.
3. Great sociologist, sharp analyzer, inspiration of idea, that even if you are poor you are still human being.

Trollop.

This is like saying Picasso is not possible without Cezzane or Georges Braque or for that matter Diego Velázquez.....profoundly influenced, one leading to another, almost plagiarized - but one without the other - is utter rubbish and flies in the face of the actual philosophy your are espousing. Fatalism and destiny - Voltaire should have put you in Candide !!

Saul - Voltaires Bastards !
Chomsky - Manufacturing Consent / Hegemony.
Why Rich countries are Rich and Poor Countries are Poor
The Gulag Archipelago
The Mismeasure of Man
Darwin - On the Origin of Species
Foucault - All of them
Hobbes - Leviathan
Thomas Paine - The Rights of Man
Voltaire - Candide
Dawkins - God is not Great / The greatest Show on Earth.

......Will have to come back to this...

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 04:04 AM
link   
reply to post by fizzy1

To upload an image click the Video and Media link at the top of the page, log in with your ATS info so you will be logged in to ATS Media. Then click the My Account link on the top of the page on the right and scroll down to My Pictures. You should be good from there, upload the photo then copy and paste the code. Its the same thing you do for your avatar only you paste the 'Embed on ATS' code.

As for my pick for most important, I'm not sure what to go with as I've only done a limited amount of reading, once I've read every single book in the last 466 years I'll get back to you

1984 seems a good pick but The Origin of Species changed our view of life on Earth forever.

Oh wait, I got it:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/2d6678a795ad.jpg[/atsimg]

Seems unimportant now but wait until the Zombie Apocalypse hits and remember blades don't need reloading.

Edit to remove second photo, not sure what happened there, I only hit past once.

[edit on 8-4-2010 by Titen-Sxull]

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 04:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by audas

Trollop.

This is like saying Picasso is not possible without Cezzane or Georges Braque or for that matter Diego Velázquez.....profoundly influenced, one leading to another, almost plagiarized - but one without the other - is utter rubbish and flies in the face of the actual philosophy your are espousing. Fatalism and destiny - Voltaire should have put you in Candide !!

Saul - Voltaires Bastards !
Chomsky - Manufacturing Consent / Hegemony.
Why Rich countries are Rich and Poor Countries are Poor
The Gulag Archipelago
The Mismeasure of Man
Darwin - On the Origin of Species
Foucault - All of them
Hobbes - Leviathan
Thomas Paine - The Rights of Man
Voltaire - Candide
Dawkins - God is not Great / The greatest Show on Earth.

......Will have to come back to this...

I'm sorry if I disturbed you by my cumbersome English. Philosophical cannon is not God for me and I enjoy every well pronounced work. Especially Foucault and Chomsky are my favorite authors. Still role of tradition is undeniable for me.
OP question was, what you think is most influential work. The "influence" part need time ... that is why I did not account 20. century (21.) authors - they need time to evaluate.
Once again sorry if I upset you - we have probably more common together then we realize know. BTW last two month I have appetite to read Candide again - I should visit my parents library soon.

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 04:55 AM
link   
I'd say this one has to be up there.

'Clear Intent' by Lawrence Fawcett and Barry Greenwood.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/09e10597b278.jpg[/atsimg]

Every few years a book is published that con­tributes enormously to our understanding of the UFO subject. In 1984 a book appeared that added great­ly to our understanding of the secrecy practiced by the American government in their dealings with UFO sightings.

Clear Intent was written by Lawrence Fawcett and Barry Greenwood, who were instrumental in obtaining doc­uments de-classified under the American Freedom of Information Act passed in the late 1970s.

These documents demonstrated conclusively that during the years when the FBI, CIA and NSA (National Security Agency) had publicly claimed not to be active in UFO investigation - the opposite was in fact true.

The book concentrated on hitherto unknown inci­dents where UFOs had appeared over top-secret mili­tary bases in America and Canada. Clear Intent showed that some level of conspiracy was involved in purposely hiding this information and hence deceiv­ing the general public.

At the time of its publication Clear Intent was hailed as one of the most important books available. Unsurprisingly, because of a similar regime in operation, it never saw publication in the UK.

Link

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 05:13 AM
link   
I think this is my choice : (1) Secret Teachings of All Ages By Manly Palmer Hall and my second choice is : (2) The New Atlantis By Francis Bacon. But the most important book may be William Shakespeare's First folio for its contribution to the English language and the modern world..

(1)

" books.google.no... result&ct=result&resnum=4&ved=0CBQQ6AEwAw#v=onepage&q&f=false "

(2)

" books.google.no...=onepage&q&f=false "

(3)

" books.google.no... "

star N flag!

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 05:40 AM
link   
For myself I would say the novel Hyperion by Dan Simmons.

Wiki link

It describes a future where we take our sins and religious crap deeper in the galaxy, it is so complex and amazing that it holds a lot of truth in my opinion.

Every sci-fi fan should read it.

For Humanity I would say Galileo's "Two new sciences"

Wiki link

This book that was his final collection of scientific work finally got us a step away from corrupted religion closer into the direction of science.

It had to be printed in Holland because the Catholic Inquisition banned all his works.

[edit on 8-4-2010 by Grey Magic]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join