It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China's documentation of US Human Rights abuses

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by SOXMIS
I live in China, have been here for one year and, erm, I've never heard of anyone being beaten for downloading a film. In fact I've had less trouble here than I did in Australia. Funny old world isn't it?

Why bother downloading if you can buy a A-movie in D9 quality for 5 RMB?
and/or just log on Kugoo and the other movie watching programs. This illegal DVD market gets even the biggest hits and sell those movies which are officially forbidden in China the fastest like that TW movie about Taiwanese life.....

erhmmm....

anyhow.... what I do notice is that expats with a non-Chinese (yellow) skin normally are exempted from many local weird & corrupted issues as these expats are simply not close enough to the domestic world, very often because of language barrier. This said, I also did not hear about someone for being beaten simply by downloading a film, and if it did, the poster rather provide some proof for it and the background reasons for the beating might be for something totally different.

Anecdote: You do can be beaten to death, simply because you might have insulted a "powerful bastard" without knowing it, like I heard last time that a biker was beaten to death because he was hit by a rich dude who has too many buddies in the police force. If the family and relatives were not so determined to get justice, refused to cremate the body and brought it out outside the local community news, and cried for help on the Internet forums, blogs, sms, causing this to be extended to provincial and even Central governmental level, this terrible incident would have been covered up.

Too many of these local tragic stories, that's why it is utterly important to fight off corruption and injustice. It is a path that a developing country needs to walk through, just like in the 60s and 70s before the anti-corruption movements when even in Hong Kong anyone can be beaten to death for being in the wrong place at the wrong time.....

EDIT: Apology to the OP for being off-topic.

[edit on 4-4-2010 by yiersan]

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 09:23 PM
link   
reply to post by yiersan

anyhow.... what I do notice is that expats with a non-Chinese (yellow) skin normally are exempted from many local weird & corrupted issues as these expats are simply not close enough to the domestic world, very often because of language barrier.

Yes exactly, this is the same all over the world, it is called public image.. Do you think America will you hang with the homeless, or countless number of crack heads within its streets?

If will definitely try to hide it, push them away from public areas to the corners where they can't be seen..

it is the same here in New Zealand, trust me, anyone with an external view of this country would have this idea in their head that New Zealand is the most peaceful country in the world.. Heck no, it is worst than america when it comes to violence, New Zealanders just don't have guns..

Tourists have been killed here for couple of bux, tourists have been raped here for 24 hour straight, these stories are common, let's not forget the individual who got chopped up and put in a bag then dumped in the river.. Let's not forget the teacher stabbings where the student thought the teacher was a racist..

Family violence is huge, Alcohol abuse is worst than US, or even Britain.. But once again, my point is, how it seems from outside, is very different from the inside..

You can wear a suit to look smart, but it really doesn't make you smart, it will give people the illusion of you being smart..

For people who talk about Human Rights, etc etc.. Human Rights is BullSh1t, and I would like to argue this point with anyone who is willing.. Why care about Human Rights when you see parents beating up their kids daily, some even killing them? Why care about Human Rights when you see drunk fathers beating their wives.... I can keep going but my battery is running out..

I'll be back

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 10:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by IgnoranceIsntBlisss
reply to post by mckyle

Um, how are you able to post at this site from China??

Gee! You're too good for me IIB!

I actually live at home with my Mom in West Buffalo, where I work at the local 7/11. I haven't got a girlfriend yet (but give me time - I'm only 42).

Please stop! Your powers of deduction - viz-a-viz inunedo, are astounding!

I shudder at the thought you'll glean more sordid secrets from my posts.

[edit on 4-4-2010 by mckyle]

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by lucid eyes
reply to post by oozyism

Propaganda?

Comparing American Human Rights Situations to Chinese Human Rights Situations is like comparing a petty thief to a mass-murderer. Its outrageously distorted and could only come from Chinese Intelligence or the extremely ignorant

when you consider the considerable number of deaths that the american government is responsible for, at least in the hundreds of thousands, they quite easily rank as mass murderers. whether they outrank the chinese in that regard is beyond my knowledge and perhaps debateable. do you work for TPTB?

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 06:03 PM
link   
China is about to call in the debt it seems.Perhaps all that posturing we do around the world is about to comeback on us.

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 02:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by mckyle

Originally posted by SOXMIS

If it is so bad why stay here for six years? I speak quite freely and have had no problems so perhaps you can enlighten us all to what it is you can't mention?
I would say it's more like comparing a proven mass murderer to an alleged mass murderer.

That's funny. I don't recall saying it was so bad. In fact I don't recall saying anything at all.

I've always found that people who say things such as "so perhaps you can enlighten us all" don't really want to be enlightened at all.

But, if you are serious, you can sit in on one of my lectures in Beijing, if you're in the neighborhood.

I will say this though: during my time in China, I have found that there are ostensibly two types of ex-pats - the ones who admit they have to compromise their integrity to stay there, and the ones who can't even admit it to themselves.

[edit on 4-4-2010 by mckyle]

Im more than happy to be enlightened mckyle but I wont be able to travel to Beijing for quite some time, however if Im in your neighbourhood I'll send you a U2U. If I misread your message then my apologies but it seemed your post at least suggested you were not happy with some form of censorship. I've met a number of Americans here who hate being here yet are not really able to articulate why, perhaps that's why I jumped at your post. Just one question though, why do you keep addressing China as there instead of here if you are indeed here?
With regards to abuses of human rights I've seen or read of nothing here that I've not seen or read of in most of the western countries. In fact I've witnessed some appalling atrocities, poverty, the depths of human depravity with my own eyes in countries such as England, Germany, Scotland and Australia. What we should all realise is that we don't live in a civilised world, none of us so throwing the blame around to countries we perceive, or are told to perceive as our enemies only makes hypocrites out of us and plays into a propaganda game designed to demonise that perceived enemy to justify slaughter.

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 11:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by orangutang

when you consider the considerable number of deaths that the american government is responsible for, at least in the hundreds of thousands, they quite easily rank as mass murderers. whether they outrank the chinese in that regard is beyond my knowledge and perhaps debateable. do you work for TPTB?

A but the Chinese are just low life butchers and murderers.

Americans only kill and torture people for freedom and democracy.

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 02:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Silver Shadow

Originally posted by orangutang

A but the Chinese are just low life butchers and murderers.

Americans only kill and torture people for freedom and democracy.

What a load of rubbish! Are you saying that america went into the Iraq war for freedom and democracy? You look at the state of Iraq now. Its a far worse place than it was before. The only reason they went into iraq was oil, as simple as that. Same reason why they are in Afghanistan. In fact, these wars have just made things worse. Off course people in the middle east are going to see that the only reason america is there, is oil. At at the end of the day, that makes more fanatics who are will to blow themselves up, and take as many people as they can with them.

Yes, China's human rights is bad, but don't for one second think that America, and other countries are "angels of protection" because they are not.

I have lived in China. I lived in Beijing for two years, and travelled China for 3 months. I have seen the good and the bad when it comes to China. Unlike you who gets all his information from the media propaganda

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join