It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Slow' quake shifts Gisborne. New Zealand, 70mm

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 01:27 AM
link   

Once again, the Gisborne region is slip-sliding away, with a change of direction. A new episode of "rapid" deformation - a "slow quake" - is taking place near Gisborne, on the Raukumara Peninsula, geologists say. Below Poverty Bay, the movement of tectonic plates below the Earth's crust means the Pacific Plate dives into the earth, under the Australian Plate with which it is colliding. Normally the Pacific Plate and the overlying New Zealand crust are locked together, which causes the southern Raukumara Peninsula to be pushed slowly westwards at a few millimetres per year. But sometimes there is a slow slip, during which the "lock" is temporarily released, allowing the overlying crust to move back eastwards at rates of a few millimetres a day.

www.stuff.co.nz...

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 01:32 AM
link   
Thats great news, it actually means NZ is getting further away from Oz, any closer and they will think of building a bridge

Wally

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 01:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by auswally
Thats great news, it actually means NZ is getting further away from Oz, any closer and they will think of building a bridge

Wally

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 02:47 AM
link   
reply to post by auswally

Building a bridge towards the Chathams, thanks.

Although some NZers think it would be great to be part of Oz, I don't.

Why do you think we broke up in the first place?

Never try and rekindle a defunct relationship.

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 03:00 AM
link   

Building a bridge towards the Chathams, thanks. Although some NZers think it would be great to be part of Oz, I don't. Why do you think we broke up in the first place? Never try and rekindle a defunct relationship.

Your 1 in a thousand because the other 999 are here already
I got no problem with it, it was in jest, i love my friends from fush and chup land. and proudly stand along side them,

please explain this comment (Never try and rekindle a defunct relationship.)

Wally

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 03:38 AM
link   

Hi Wally,

I also love my friends from the land of the Seedny Harbour Breedge.

I was just kidding - all I meant was, that if and when our little land mass broke away from your huge land mass, it was a divorce!!! Bring on the champers!!!

Seriously, I know and love a lot of Aussies - just stirring, mate.

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 09:31 AM
link   
I had never heard of the term "slow quakes" before. Thanks for sharing this information.

I remember reading about an "uplift" on an Alaskan beach that happened without a related earthquake. I wonder if this could be a similar situation to the process described in the article.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Well if I am reading this right Gisborne is in the West of the North Island and the fault runs between the two halves of the North Island.

Far from building a bridge to Oz, if the movement became to great they would need a bridge between the two halves of the North Island

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by PuterMan

Well if I am reading this right Gisborne is in the West of the North Island and the fault runs between the two halves of the North Island.

Far from building a bridge to Oz, if the movement became to great they would need a bridge between the two halves of the North Island

Gizzy is on the East Coast of the North Island

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 03:46 AM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

Gisborne is the fabled land to the east, probably the land of mythical creatures - maybe the hobbits...

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 03:21 AM
link   
reply to post by MoorfNZ

So it is but my comment still stands! I just don't know my East from my West any more than I know my left from my right.

If you are driving and I am giving directions never listen to what I say, look at where I point. That bit I usually get right!

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 04:24 AM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

I think you're related to 'him indoors'...

new topics

top topics

join