It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Feeling like an human torch while meditating

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2010 @ 03:11 PM
link   
I recently started practicing an healing meditation technique. I get the usual sensation between the navel and coccyx as soon as I form the specific mudra with both hands but once in a while, a rather intense heat sensation invade the whole body so I feel like an human torch. As if all the cells of the body were on fire. When it happens, as I don't know where this phenomenon could lead and don't feel the need of such a thing as results can be achieved without it - a normal heat & vibration sensation below the navel suffice -, I prefer to immediatly halt the meditation. This said sensation can persist during some hours and I don't feel dehydrated. Let me open a parenthesis: this is not the result of my imagination.

I need Tai Ch'i, Qigong or Reiki experts to answer the following question:

Is it dangerous to stay in this state (feeling of the whole body on fire) for a long period while meditating?

[edit on 18-3-2010 by D1ss1dent]

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Well... No replies is what I was expecting. To answer my own question, after further "experimentations", there is no risks. It's rather quite the opposite. Mother nature is always seeking for an equilibrium. Jiddu Krishnamurti once said: "Be your own light". To this I add that there's no other ways.

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 06:53 PM
link   
I get this sometimes.
Mostly in my hands, but occasionally it spreads through me.
I agree that its not dangerous and am working on finding out what kind of work it can/wants to do for/with me.
You may be miles ahead of me but this is my two cents.

Peter.

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 06:57 PM
link   
reply to post by D1ss1dent

Maybe you should tell us what the mudra is.

Otherwise you want to store your energy just below and behind the navel.

The heat should turn into electromagnetic energy.

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 07:32 PM
link   
I never experienced that in meditation, however the closest thing I can think of that you are talking about is a type of vibration in the head region, which feels like a wind rippling or a flame igniting, but I never felt heated or like on fire.

My meditation usually involves clearing my mind and realizing my higher self, like floating above my mind, able to turn towards myself and illuminate my soul.

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 07:34 PM
link   
The torch sensation is called "tummo" or N/um by the Bushmen, the original yoga-qigong alchemists. It's from the ionization of water via ultrasound cavitation.

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 08:22 PM
link   
reply to post by drew hempel

The mudra is a slight variation of the pure yang mudra. I personally call it the five-pointed star or sun mudra. Instead of forming an half-like sphere with your fingers, you must extend them so the little fingers will point downward, the ring, middle and index fingers will point forward and the thumbs will point upward. Only the distal phalanges of the joined fingers are touching. The index and ring fingers remain unjoined and must not touch the other joined fingers. This will form a pyramid-like shape with the four unjoined fingers symbolizing its four sides. Place this mudra on your belly. The navel must be in the middle of the figure made with both hands. In other words, the pyramid apex (the top of the inverse V formed with the middle fingers) must be in parallel with the navel.

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 08:33 PM
link   

Touching the thumbs will close off energy transmitting from the body so that will increase the internal heat. The pinkies are the heart channel. That makes sense.

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 10:05 PM
link   
If you guys try this pure yang mudra variation explained above, while the eyes are closed, in the lotus position, relax and ONLY focus your attention on your body in a detached manner. Do not focus on any specific parts and there must be no mental imageries. Your body will send you signals of many kinds but do not participate and don't move. Only OBSERVE. Observation without participation is the key.

I'd be interested to know what you're experiencing. Mudras seems not to be working with everybody.

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 11:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by drew hempel
The torch sensation is called "tummo" or N/um by the Bushmen, the original yoga-qigong alchemists. It's from the ionization of water via ultrasound cavitation.

Thanks for the information. In my case, this technique hydrate the whole body (among other things) and the "ignition" happens after a while but there's an equilibrium (harmony) between the fire and water elements.

[edit on 9-4-2010 by D1ss1dent]

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 03:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by drew hempel

I doubt very very much indeed that the OP is experiencing Tummo.

It is not achieved by Mudra, is a very difficult yoga to achieve, and requires certain visualisations, and lots of chakra work before hand. Probably the same with Qi Gong but in traditional Tummo yoga it takes a few years of intensive practise to do. However just maybe the OP if gifted in this area.

Simple way to find out, OP go to somewhere where it is below freezing, sit on the ICe, have very few clothes on, do the meditation and if you can stay in this state for a few hours and melt the ice around you, you are achieving Tummo.

In my limited experience I have had similair experience to the OP, and it was not by any means close to Tummo. It is just an change of perception awareness, becoming aware of the energy latent in all of us. Most people who have practised Yoga properly (of the body rather than just mind) get after a while sweats and warm flushes, the same as the OP. It relates to as drew should know to meridians opening up and Chi flowing properly, energising the cells of the body. However it is a far cry from Tummo.

I can jump in the air now, you could say I am flying, I am certainly not levitating though.

On my Media Page on ATS video I have more of the following OP if you are interested:

(click to open player in new window)

Kind Regards,

Elf

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 11:58 AM
link   
reply to post by MischeviousElf

Forget about the ice melting test. It is rather ridiculous. I will never ever try that. I don't see the point of doing so. Whatever name is given for this "latent force", one thing I know is that it can be used to heal yourself.

[edit on 9-4-2010 by D1ss1dent]

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 09:11 AM
link   
reply to post by drew hempel

What I'm experiencing is exoteric and esoteric Tummo. There seems to be nothing extraordinary at all with esoteric Tummo but exoteric Tummo is said to be rarer.

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Is it dangerous to stay in this state (feeling of the whole body on fire) for a long period while meditating?

Sorry buddy but you are NOT meditating. You should NOT feel what you say you are feeling. You should reach a state of complete mental silence, a void without thinking, without mind bla bla bla, without distractions and your body should be relaxed, comfortable with the asana (posture) you're sitting. IMO the heat you are feeling and odd sensation in the base of column is due your sexual energy is unbalanced. I don't know details of your sexual life, but depending on you are doing, you can turn your sexual chakra "sick", unbalanced, disturbed. I don't know if you have a Yoga master or teacher, but you should start to fix it with breathing exercises, Pranayamas. There are many breathing practices that help balance the sexual energy and make it flow easy along the body. If you are a self-practicing of meditation, without orientation you are in the WRONG path.

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 11:48 AM
link   
reply to post by ucalien

Mental silence is what is achieved (discussing the amplitude is futile), there's no imbalance below the navel and I'm familiar with what you call Pranayamas. My motto is: "Real knowledge is only acquired through personal experiences and observations". A teacher isn't needed. Krishnamurti was right.

I'm not in the wrong path... FAR from it.

[edit on 10-4-2010 by D1ss1dent]

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 12:04 PM
link   
I also get something of what you are describing at times. My gut tells me though to cool down - so I breathe out the heat. I do this as it cools me down. Not certain as to whether it is what others should - or are expected to do.

I can't get this to embed - but here is some serious heat.

www.youtube.com...

[edit on 10-4-2010 by spinkyboo]

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 10:50 AM
link   
reply to post by spinkyboo

Indeed, that is some serious heat but there's no way to tell if this video is true or not. Talking about Qi, here's a document that might interest you: Guanzi: "The Inner Enterprise".

new topics

top topics

join