It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does Apophis have our name written on it?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Apophis is a asteroid that will pass us in 2029 not to worry,

However it's it's return orbit track is scheduled to occur 2036 yes worry, scientists fear this rock will come so close to our Mother Earth, it will be "drawn in" and kaboom will hit somewhere.

Video link is interesting. I'll be really old. My husband will probably be released from this 3d prison by then.

April 13, 2036 - mark your calendar. I'm sure by then we will be able to "deflect" this rock but never the less I found the video link below and article interesting.

Apophis is a 900-foot asteroid that according to JPL calculations released on Christmas Eve 2004 appeared to show that there was a greater than 2 percent chance the asteroid would hit the Earth in 2029, judged a 4 on the Torino Impact Hazard Scale for a short time, the highest rating any near-Earth object has received. More accurate observations brought the risk of collision down to just 1 in 250,000. Though the asteroid doesn’t look like it’s going to hit Earth, on April 13, 2029, it will come closer than any other near-Earth object that we know of, passing just 18,300 miles above the planet’s surface.

www.youtube.com...

[edit on 12-3-2010 by ofhumandescent]

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 11:29 AM
link   
I wouldn't worry too much... as you wrote we'll probably be able to deflect it by then and if not... well, tough luck.

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 12:26 PM
link   
I won't be around that long. So, I'm not worried.

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 07:06 AM
link   

New Light on the Black Death: The Cosmic Connection Laura Knight-Jadczyk
New Light on the Black Death: The Cosmic Connection by dendrochronologist Mike Baillie of Queen's University, Belfast, Ireland.

I just finished reading this one and all I can say is: Wow! This was an intense book! Not a long one, either - just 208 pages including appendices. It's tight and economical with no wasted words or idle rambling around. Every example and temporary diversion is crucial to the central argument which is - brace yourself for this one - Mike Baillie (yeah, a real scientist and not a crackpot), is saying that the Black Death, one of the most deadly pandemics in human history, said to have killed possibly two thirds of the entire population of Europe, not to mention millions all over the planet, probably wasn't Bubonic Plague but was rather Death By Comet(s)!

Oh yeah! That's far out, isn't it?

Maybe not. Baillie has the scientific evidence to support his theory and his evidence actually supports - and is supported by - what the people of the time were saying: earthquakes, comets, rains of death and fire, corrupted atmosphere, and death on a scale that is almost unimaginable. Most people nowadays are not really aware of what happened just 660 years ago. (Hmmm... the inquiring mind immediately wonders what might happen when we hit 666 years after?! That would be 2012...)

Anyway, China, where the Black Death is said to have originated, lost around half of its entire population (going from around 123 million to around 65 million).

Recent research into European death tolls also suggest a figure of 45% to 50% of the total European population dying during a four-year period though the figure fluctuated from place to place (which is a problem as we will see).

In Mediterranean Europe and Italy, the South of France and Spain, where the plague ran for about four years consecutively, it was probably closer to 70% to 75% of the total population. (In the USA today, that would be equivalent to reducing the population from its current 300 million total to 75 million in less than four years. That would also amount to having to bury or dispose of around 225 million corpses!)

In Germany and England it was probably closer to 20%. Northeastern Germany, Bohemia, Poland and Hungary are believed to have suffered less for some reason (and there are a few theories which are not entirely satisfactory).

There are no estimates available for Russia or the Balkans so it seems that they may have suffered little, if at all. Africa lost approximately 1/8th of its population (from around 80 million to 70 million). (These figures actually highlight one of the problems that Baillie brings up: the variability of death rates according to location.)

Whatever the death rate in any given location, the bottom line is that the Black Death produced the largest death toll from any known pandemic in recorded history and, as Baillie points out, nobody really knows what it was! Oh, of course, for a very long time everybody just "knew" it was Bubonic plague, so how is it that Baillie questions this well-established fact? He's not the only one.

In case readers think this is simply rhetoric, this is as good a place as any to mention a forthcoming event. On 13 April 2029 an asteroid named Apophis will pass by the earth at a distance of less than 50,000km. If you're alive at the time, and it is not cloudy, you'll be able to see it pass with the naked eye. Apophis is more than 300m in diameter. If, as it passed the earth, it just happens to pass through a certain narrow window in space, then, in 2036 it will return and hit the earth (this narrow window is a point where the earth's gravity would deflect the orbit of Apophis just enough to ensure an impact in 2036). If Apophis hits the earth the impact will be in the 3000-megaton class. It is entirely reasonable to state that such an impact, taking place anywhere on the planet, would collapse our current civilization and return the survivors, metaphorically speaking, to the Dark Ages (it is believed that in such an event globalised institutions, such as the financial and insurance markets would collapse, bringing down the entire interconnected monetary, trade and transport systems). Impacts from space are not fiction, and it seems highly likely that quite a number have taken place in the last few millennia (over and above the small crater-forming examples already mentioned). It is just that, for some reason, most people who study the past have chosen to avoid, or ignore, the issue. (Baillie)
www.sott.net...

top topics

join