It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Member of the Day/Week/Month/Year!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 03:09 AM
link   
Hey ATS! just came up with an idea while doing some creativity exercises.

First i want to say sorry if this is in the wrong forum, which it probably is. So mods, sorry for being an inconvenience but could you please move this to the correct spot?
If not, that's okay, thanks anyways. If so, thanks a bunch!

So, ATS is a great community where many people tend to learn others names after a year or so. We all see each other in different threads, and compare thoughts upon topics together.

So, I think it would tie the community together just a bit more if we had "Member of the Day/Week/Month/Year!"

I know it may sound a bit...useless, but its one of those things that encourages us to do just a bit more research, and too not act out badly on the website.

So maybe if someone said some things that ATS generally doesn't allow, you go up on the Member of the day on bad terms, so outlined in red or something.

Do something good one day, get on the Member of the day on good terms, outlined green.

If your an amazing member, where most of the population on ATS agrees with you, (notable through stars) you go on the Member of the week/month and year.

Of course this idea can be broken down, and completely rebuilt. Just something that would make ATS even better.

Thanks all,

Peace and Love

Gandhi.

[edit on 4-3-2010 by gandhi]

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 04:16 AM
link   
Good Idea...maybe just a "Member of the Month" like at the work place. That way we don't have to vote so often.
End of the year vote for one of the chosen 12....A recap of their top posts.
Im game.....hope they don't start a "Sit in the corner" member of the week.

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 04:23 AM
link   
reply to post by gandhi

Good God ! A Popularity Contest , Here ? ........Hmm I Smell a Conspiracy ! ............

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 04:32 AM
link   
firstly, i would like to nominate myself as the only people who would ever actually win such a trivial award would be the people who live in cyberland trying to decrypt the code to the uber cosmic psycho-dimensional bi-polar-universe... and that ain't me... i drink alcohol...

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 04:38 AM
link   
Great idea, Ghandi!

This type of thing would allow for some useful data to emerge.

Popular members would show up repeatedly.

To be popular on ATS, one must have intelligence, communication skills, and any of a variety of talents which are all present and valued here. This idea would allow those who consistently wow us all with their intellect, insight, etc., should be considered candidates for a possible people's or constitutional party, as has been suggested here by another sharp member.

There is more than enough talent and passion and intelligence to achieve a balanced approach, that, given time and dedication, can avail much.

Our overhead would be very low considering our own site already is in place, with a huge audience and membership...

Favorite members would be a great idea no matter what! I have some I would nominate, for sure.

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 06:02 AM
link   
Great idea! And much more relevant than that 'Flag Contribution Level' nonsense they put on here a while back. Star and flag just as soon as Ive fixed my mouse!

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 06:04 AM
link   
I can see that working!

Star and flag!

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 11:31 AM
link   
reply to post by gandhi

jesus. no offense, i'm sure your heart is in the right place, but this sounds like a horrible idea. it reminds me of elementary school, and is one step away from turning this place into some sort of oddball networking site. (facebook for conspiracy theorists)

such a plan, if implemented, would only take away from the spirit of ats, in my mind.

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 11:36 AM
link   
Hm. This place just isn't fractious enough as it is. Why not single out one member so the 50% who rabidly disagree with him or her will have "proof" that he or she is a "disinfo" agent. You might want to re-think this one a bit.

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 11:55 AM
link   
If this idea should become a reality,everyone would soon know who
is popular and who isn't.I already know which category I fit into.I will
go to my corner and decide if I'll shut up or not.
Pssst,make sure the dunce hat fits! I hate it when it slips off my head
and drops to the floor.

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 12:19 PM
link   
not a good idea.

We have enough people here climbing over other people to get to the top.

It would be a disaster.

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 03:24 PM
link   
I remember hearing that at one point (before my time on ATS) there was a system where threads (not members) were nominated on and voted for as best of the week or month or something. I wouldn't mind seeing that reinstituted, if I haven't imagined it or dreamed it or something. The difference I would see between that and the current way of determining top threads by flag count is that it could give extra reward to OPs who put a lot of work into bringing good but not necessarily attention-grabbing information here, instead of just rewarding whoever was first to post the latest inflammatory headline or new YouTube UFO video.

But I don't like the idea of voting for Member of the [whatever time span]. Perceived popularity competitions here always seem to end badly, with hurt feelings and accusations of brown-nosing and/or disinfo-pushing.

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
not a good idea.

We have enough people here climbing over other people to get to the top.

It would be a disaster.

I second that.

Why can't folks just be glad they can visit?

Stick around long enough and all the badges, stars, flags, applauses and what-not mean very little in comparison to the feeling of simply creating a satisfactory post or thread that people respect with their own replies.

Favouritism would surely bring it's problems.

I wouldn't want to see a "member of the XX" thingy, sorry.

---------------------------------------------

Your thread HAS made me consider this issue though and I'll be preparing my own ideas and possible solution and will either post them in-forum or submit them to staff.

Cheers.

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 04:49 PM
link   
There used to be the Way above Top Secret award it was discontinued because of a lack of participation, If I remember correctly.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 4/3/2010 by Sauron]

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 05:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Sauron

Ah yes, that's what I was talking about

top topics

join