It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Millions From 1984's Live Aid Concert Used To Fund Ethiopian Rebels

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 10:20 PM
link   
Wonder if all the people who thought the money they were donating to this 'charitable' cause ever thought they were actually funding civil war in Ethiopia ?

Live Aid donations 'were diverted to arm Ethiopian rebels'

Fresh controversy over aid to Ethiopia erupted today after an investigation concluded that millions intended for victims of the 1984 famine was diverted to anti-government rebel leaders – including the current Ethiopian Prime Minister.

The allegations, made by former rebel compatriots of Meles Zenawi, are the first to detail how millions raised by Bob Geldof’s Live Aid were siphoned off to arm the rebels against the army of Mengistu Haile Mariam.

Although millions of people were saved by the Western aid that poured into Ethiopia after Live Aid, the evidence from the BBC investigation suggests that not all of it went to the most needy.

Although after reading about the $1+ billion sent overseas from our own green energy stimulus program, this doesn't surprise me at all.

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 11:03 PM
link   
Which is the exact reason why I don't give a red cent to these Aid Scams. This is only the tip of the iceberg. It happens all the time. Even the Red Cross cannot be trusted.

When I give aid, I give direct aid... and only to my fellow country men. If a homeless person on the street comes up and asks me for money to by lunch, I actually buy them lunch to make sure it isn't going on drugs or alcohol.

I prefer to make a difference on a local level. These international scams don't interest me one bit. That's why after decades of aid to Africa and billions of dollars, nothing has changed at all.

IRM

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 12:22 AM
link   
I think the biggest scam of all these "donate NoW" campaigns is simply to gather all of the money donated into an interest-bearing account, donate what's expected, and pocket the rest!

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 01:28 AM
link   
Strange how the conspiracy of the famine is directed towards those who tried to help, instead of the nation that caused th efamine in the first place by stealing its water.
But no we cant go there better to blame the Eithiopians.

new topics

top topics

join