It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Students Evacuated From Detroit School After Bomb Detonated

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Students Evacuated From Detroit School After Bomb Detonated

www.foxnews.com

Students were evacuated from a school in Detroit Wednesday morning after a student detonated a homemade explosive in the building, MyFoxDetroit.com reported.

Authorities say the homemade chemical device released "powerful fumes" and some liquid in the hallway of a Detroit school.

There was no fire at Phoenix Multi-Cultural Academy, but smoke did fill the air, Detroit Public Schools officials said, according to MyFoxDetroit.com.

The pre-kindergarten-through-8th grade school with 540 students was evacuated and students were transferred to the nearby Roberto Clemente Learning Academy.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 11:53 AM
link   
This is probably some kids idea of a smoke bomb Home land security has a good way of blowing things out of poportion.

When I went to school , you would here an occasional firecracker go off...now days that is considered a terriost act and a bomb.
These kind of events are sucked up by the likes of MSN and milked to empose more fear and control.
I bet the kid gets jail time.
A 14 year old in shackels for a smoke bomb.

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 12:01 PM
link   
I remember a book my friend had called The Anarchist's Cookbook aka the Poor Man's James Bond.

One of the recipes it had was for a smokebomb that would supposedly cover a city block.

We tried making it (this was back in 83 or so) and setting it off. Total FAIL lol

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by TXRabbit
I remember a book my friend had called The Anarchist's Cookbook aka the Poor Man's James Bond.

One of the recipes it had was for a smokebomb that would supposedly cover a city block.

We tried making it (this was back in 83 or so) and setting it off. Total FAIL lol

aahhh the good old days.

When Kids could be Kids!

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 12:12 PM
link   
While I don't necessarily advocate jail time for such an offense, it shouldn't simply be taken so lightly either.

First, when dealing with explosives, there are many more ways to screw-up than there are to make one that is efficient and effective. Whatever the end result you are looking for.

So, what could have originated as a joke smoke bomb, could have just as easily ended up killing or seriously injuring someone. Had it -- he would have potentially been facing a life sentence.

Lastly, are 14 year olds not really capable of knowing that one doesn't bring a bomb to school nowadays? Again, I don't think jail time will necessarily do anything beneficial for this kid, but come on. The kid wasn't 8 and simply making a fun science experiment to see what happens.

Perhaps a year of house arrest would better suit the crime? I definitely think that there should be serious consequences though. But jail time may be a little too much.

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Sadly house arreest wouldn't be much better, and in fact would punish the economics of the household as much.. Because a legal guardian would have to be home as well.

Jail isn't a great idea either..

I'm not sure what would be an appropriate response for this.

THe child obviously has osme interest in chemicals and such.. perhaps he needs a better understanding of such things and why such things could be potentially very dangerous.

perhaps showing this young man what can happen maybe a good deterrant.

The gravity of the situation deffeintly should be explained, not a criminal record and jail time imposed.

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Lastly, are 14 year olds not really capable of knowing that one doesn't bring a bomb to school nowadays? Again, I don't think jail time will necessarily do anything beneficial for this kid, but come on. The kid wasn't 8 and simply making a fun science experiment to see what happens
reply to post by lpowell0627

Exactly.

While I think jail time is rather harsh, there needs to be serious consequences for this type of behavior. Someone could have been injured, I'm sure there was physical damage done to some extent, and think of the money involved with the response of emergency officials.

Perhaps it was just a prank. Perhaps it was a more serious threat. Regardless, it was inappropriate.

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Well, stupid prank or something more, this was a really bad decision by the student, no doubt.

If this school district operates under "zero tolerance policy" than this student is expelled and likely going to jail. Fair or not. There will be consequences for this and they won't be pretty or tame (I would believe).

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 12:27 PM
link   
I think we're gonna need global regulations mandating random body cavity searches of children to stop this new threat.

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 12:30 PM
link   
What's the little jihadi's name?

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 12:36 PM
link   
reply to post by mike_trivisonno

hahahahaha yes! I love your responses. Always jihadist this and its all about jihad that. Its classic. Thank you for that.

I knew guys in elementary school who used to make bombs and one who set off a smoke bomb in our high school. Their both chemists nows. lol

Cheers

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 02:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Grayelf2009

sounds like a ping pong 'smoke bomb' not actually a bomb or dangerous..
I did it in high school, if you wrap a ping pong ball in foil and heat it, it smokes!! Fun little thing when your a kid, but apparently its a bomb now.
soon matches will be called chemical weapons.

XL5

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 03:35 AM
link   
Smoke bombs do not explode, they have no shell to trap the gasses. I have made them and I have made small bombs and set them off in an empty rock quarry away from the small rocks (on a large rock). Even if you put a smoke bomb in a pop can, nothing would happen.

Around 1997 when I was in highschool, I told anonther student I can make firecrackers, paper ones as in, not made with metal and not that large...a firecracker. A doo-gooder art teacher overheard, marched me down to the office and said I was going to blow up the school! Its just as bad as being 20 and saying a 17yrs old is hot and then getting busted for rape! Least they respected an adults word that firecracker does not mean truckbomb and knowing how to make one is different then bringing one in.

Sooner or later, when doomsday DOES come, all that sillyness will be put away when they have to worry about how they will protect themselves rather then others. I really do hope they blow it out of proportion, if they ever get a gun, they will be the first to run out of ammo and be the first to go.

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 04:51 AM
link   
I'm so glad I went to school pre 9/11. We used the Anarchist's Cookbook and the Jolly Rodger's manual as teens, making smoke bombs and thermite etc with a variety of success.

Today, I'd have been locked up as a terrorist, instead of a curious science nut with a slight pyromaniacle side that most teenage boys go through at one point or another.

Every teenage boy knows that fire and things that go bang are fun!

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 06:10 AM
link   
I'm not a guy, so maybe its a testosterone thing. But I graduated high school in 1993, and I can remember all my guy friends would have fireworks wars. Apparently they would go into a field and shoot fireworks at each other, like roman candles or bottle rockets or something. I don't think anyone was ever seriously injured, but several had burned off their eyebrows (which, come to think of, is a very strange thing to do with a firecracker. exactly how would that wokr???)

Silly, silly boys.

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 06:24 AM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

Yep, unfortunately, us lads think we're immortal at that age, believe me, I have the scars to prove it!

We do some really stupid things, but at the end of the day, it's just kids being kids. Hell, we used to cross motorway bridges hanging from our hands off the edge. How bloody crazy is that?

top topics

join