It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Woman fights phone company for a decade over just 14 cents

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 07:07 PM
link   
Here's a story so outrageous I had to post it but I knew it would get dumped here anyway.

Some pennypinching old broad fought with a telephone company for 10 years because they owed her 14cents! Finally some TV station came to her rescue. I guess they didn't have anything better to report. :shk:

Relentless woman fights for 14 cents owed

LIVERMORE, CA (KGO) -- You've heard us say it before in our 7 On Your Side reports -- it isn't about the money, it's about what is right. Here's a story that proves we mean that.

Janet Maitland is nothing if not a good telephone services consumer. Back about a decade ago, she got her long distance phone service through Costco. It was called TTI and it offered a smoking deal.

"They offered a deal where it was 5.4 cents a minute and they broke it down into 6-second increments, so we are talking little tiny bills here. I've got one here that is for 2 cents," she said.

She had put $5 on account and nearly a decade later, she still has 14 cents left. But then out of nowhere, that 14 cents disappeared. She called several times and was told the money would be sent or charged back to her credit card, or that the money would not be returned.

"It is 14 cents, but it is my 14 cents, and they were after me for 2 cents. They sent me a bill for 2 cents, they expected their money," Maitland said.

The customer service reps seemed to be getting fed up over these 14 cents. But eventually, one representative agreed to help.

"He gave me his direct number, it was a chat line and no surprise, he wasn't there," she said.

It turns out TTI is an obscure company in an obscure town. TTI was formerly known as MCI and is now a subsidiary of Verizon Business Global LLC, an obscure division of Verizon.

"It appears Verizon took on a pre-existing condition," she said.

So 7 On Your Side took Maitland 's problem to Verizon corporate who tracked down the obscure subsidiary and agreed she was owed 14 cents and Verizon was willing to pay up.

Soon after, Maitland got a check for 14 cents.

"I am very pleased. I knew it was coming, I knew you had the magic that you do," she said.

Read more and watch the news vid: ABC 7

It's great to see the TV station standing up for the little guy.

Meanwhile, I’m sure some guy is sitting in his house after a tragic car accident, unable to get a prosthetic leg from his shady health insurance company. But thank God 7 On Your Side got this OCD old bag enough money to buy two packs of Bazooka Gum with enough money left over to make four mediocre wishes in a mall fountain. Keep fighting the good fight, you heroes.

Guyism.com

I hope she doesn't spend it all in one place.

[edit on 19-2-2010 by FortAnthem]

[edit on 20-2-2010 by FortAnthem]

posted on Feb, 20 2010 @ 12:44 PM
link   
If I was her I wouldn't cash it.It will screw their books up forever.

Some poor slob a couple years later will be at a lost as to why the books are always 14 cents over.

Lesson I learned.If you ever get a ticket write a check for 1 cent over.

They will send you a refund for the 1 cent.

Don't cash it.

The points on your record will not be taken off until the check for the over payment is cleared through their bank.

posted on Feb, 20 2010 @ 05:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Oneolddude

I really really like the way your mind works!!!!!

posted on Feb, 21 2010 @ 05:33 AM
link   
for god sake,i understand there should not be any crime,and normal people shouldnt be screwed constantly,by phone companys silently stealing our money.
here in bulgaria theyr trying to do it all the time,they even send you ADS on your phone,and you have to hold the red button to close the ad,its the only way,or you have to buy the song. can you imagine 10000 people that dont know to hold the red button. just handing at a caffe,and getting the ad?
NOW THATS SOMETHING TO FIGHT FOR.
but old grannys that theyr have nothing better to do then go make lines at doctors and ruining the fun of young people,they just look for something to b**** about. i say get a life granny:shk:

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Oneolddude

Some poor slob a couple years later will be at a lost as to why the books are always 14 cents over.

Lesson I learned.If you ever get a ticket write a check for 1 cent over.

They will send you a refund for the 1 cent.

Don't cash it.

The points on your record will not be taken off until the check for the over payment is cleared through their bank.

That's a great idea for stickin it to the man.

Unfortunately "the man" has caught on to this trick and most checks from big companies like this now have an expiration date. :bnghd:

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Not really. It would show as an outstanding amount in Accounts Payable. Eventually, it will be written off to an AP clearing account in the general ledger chart of accounts, based on the time criteria the company's bookkeepers have established. Many checks are only payable within 30 days, so my guess is that after 90 days, they'd clear it out.

Same thing with the ticket, though with the government, that timeframe is likely a few years, vs. a few months...so conceivably, it could buy you some time.

new topics

top topics

join