It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UFO casts shadow on moon as it passes

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2010 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Found this posted an hour ago. If anyone has experience examining videos please chime in. Is there a reasonable explanation or CGI?

I haven't analyzed the shadow to see if it forms around the contour of the terrain or just remains constant.

posted on Feb, 16 2010 @ 01:41 PM
link   
This is rather interesting because as the video takes you closer in, you can see the shadow and then the actual object not too far above it
Also, there's a higher possibility that there could be aliens on the moon I think because of the whole "Moon nuke testing" conspiracy ;D Nice find.

posted on Feb, 16 2010 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Photoshop job, and here's why. For the shadow to be where it's seen, the light source (the sun) would have to be just to the right of the camera. The sun, however, is clearly to the left and above center of the camera as is evidenced by the dark side of the moon. It's a fake, and not a very clever one at that...

posted on Feb, 16 2010 @ 01:51 PM
link   
I'm no expert in science or physics, but how in the world could something like that cast a shadow from such a great distance away from the the moon's surface? You can see the object, but the surface of the moon is still quite far off with little detail that can be deciphered on it. So this leads me to believe this object is a great distance away from the moon. I don't see our space vessels casting shadows on earth when they orbit our planet.

posted on Feb, 16 2010 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by JaxonRoberts

I thought the same thing but you do not know exactly were the sun is at in relation to the object. At first glance I might agree. But if the object is multiple miles long which it appears to be or the actual shape of the object could reflect a different ground shadow. If you assume the object is flat flying flat over a surface than you might be correct. If the object is oblong or triangular or something else entirely the observation of shadow might be incorrect.

posted on Feb, 16 2010 @ 01:59 PM
link   
reply to post by ExPostFacto

Angles are angles, and regardless of size, the angles are all wrong in the vid at the end where the pic is actually clear and the dark and light sides of the moon are clearly defined. In the first part, the vid is so blurry, you can't even be sure it's the moon. It could be one of the planets with the shadow being one of it's own moons... I'm sticking with HOAX on this one...

posted on Feb, 16 2010 @ 02:08 PM
link   
reply to post by NightGypsy

That is a great question regarding shadows. If I pick a rock off the ground and watch the shadow, does the shadow of the rock become bigger than the rock or smaller? What about if it wasn't a rock, maybe a plane flying overhead? Would the shadow be larger than the plane? What a great question regarding shadows I had never considered.

***heading outside to do some tests lol

posted on Feb, 16 2010 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Definitely a hoax.
As said before, shadow position is all wrong.
Also, the thing would have to be miles in diameter.
Good try though.

posted on Feb, 16 2010 @ 02:41 PM
link   
the parallax of the shadow is way off. see how the right side of the moon is dark? thats because the sun is to the left. the sun would have to be BEHIND the camera for the shadow to be where the person CGed it.

posted on Feb, 16 2010 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by ExPostFacto
reply to post by NightGypsy

That is a great question regarding shadows. If I pick a rock off the ground and watch the shadow, does the shadow of the rock become bigger than the rock or smaller? What about if it wasn't a rock, maybe a plane flying overhead? Would the shadow be larger than the plane? What a great question regarding shadows I had never considered.

***heading outside to do some tests lol

Its funny but while I think this vids bunk like others have said, it would be interesting if we where looking at the wrong object. ie the actual ufo is the smaller spot... and the larger upper right spot is the shadow.

That would correct the shadow direction issue, it could also mean the object is grey in color or at least similar enough to the moons color when seen through earths atmosphere that it is hard to spot, ie the shadow is easy to spot, while the object isnt for most of the footage. The problem with that is youd see the object cross over into the earth shadow on the moon as a bright spot, which this doesnt.

Im pretty sure that shadows do get larger the further the shadow casting object is away from the surface, the problem is the further the object is away from the surface its casting a shadow onto, the more diffuse the shadow gets eventually becoming so fuzzy and overcome with ambient light that it disappears. The other thing is, just how big was the object if it was real, since a large enough object could still cast a good shadow from a large height from a surface, given this object your looking at something that is truly huge... also no idea what affect not being in earths atmosphere would have on shadow casting (moon shadows tend to be very dark and very crisp compared to shadows on earth).

So I call fake also, but could be otherwise when look at differently... although the lack of a bright spot moving into the dark portion of the moon kinda negates that.

posted on Feb, 16 2010 @ 03:54 PM
link   
reply to post by BigfootNZ

It is an interesting video to ponder for sure. One thing about the shadow upon slowing it down. Shadows are cast onto the ground in relation to the direction of light. If you are standing near a light source in an empty room your shadow would display on the floor. Now if you moved and placed yourself between the light source and the wall your shadow may display on a wall. Even though your light source didn't move your shadow position is cast on the elevation the light would have reached had you not blocked it. So if you are at the top of a hill looking down on a floating object the shadow would display at a different location than if there was no hill. I'm just hypothesizing on this is all I don't know that for a fact, but it is an interesting topic to me to figure out.

posted on Feb, 16 2010 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Sorry it is a fake

Shadow is incorrect firstly, light source in wrong direction. Secondly, the UFO would have to be hundreds of miles in diameter to create a shadow like that.

Definite hoax unfortunantly

posted on Feb, 16 2010 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by NightGypsy
I'm no expert in science or physics, but how in the world could something like that cast a shadow from such a great distance away from the the moon's surface? You can see the object, but the surface of the moon is still quite far off with little detail that can be deciphered on it. So this leads me to believe this object is a great distance away from the moon. I don't see our space vessels casting shadows on earth when they orbit our planet.

I'm no real expert either but I think you'll find that it may be more possible that shadows could be cast onto the moons surface by anything orbiting than say our own shuttles on earth because the moon has no atmosphere to disrupt the shadow.

I don't really know though but I think that could be an answer to your question

posted on Feb, 16 2010 @ 04:13 PM
link   
the first part of the video posted by the OP came from this clip:

i believe the 2nd part showing the supposed object casting a shadow on the moon was created and inspired by the clip i have posted above.

an ongoing thread discussing the clip i posted can be found in the link below:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Feb, 16 2010 @ 04:23 PM
link   
The shadow seems much larger than the object casting it. It wouldn't look like that if this were the genuine article. Also, how come there are at least two different videos of the exact same event? The close ups are of much greater resolution than the opening shot. Using a single telescope/camera setup, that's impossible.

WG3

posted on Feb, 16 2010 @ 04:26 PM
link   
In my personal opinion this is a hoax, the shadow size relative to the object in question appears far too large. I would say this is a likely photoshop job, an attempt to make something simple, yet compelling.

EDIT to add: Which by the way, the perpetrator of this hoax likely intentionally made the shadow too large, in an effort to bring out the shadow to gain attention to the viewers.

[edit on 2/16/2010 by jkrog08]

new topics

top topics

join