It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thinking about taking College level Astronomy

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2010 @ 10:38 PM
link   
So Ive been thinking about majoring in Astronomy, the reason is just because I think its awesome. Anyways I was wondering what your thoughts about taking about 4 years worth of schooling will be worth it in the future.

Basically what Im trying to ask is, do you think there will be a new field of study realatively soon? Do you think with the way the economy is, are organizations going to lose funding and in turn make it super difficult to actually get career at some places, if we dont get out of the economic crisis in time?

I just want to hear yalls opinions on the subject pretty much because this is a pretty big decision for me and want a good amount of outside opinion.

posted on Feb, 15 2010 @ 10:45 PM
link   
I just started a degree in astrophysics last year. Astronomy is a great field, and the classes are very interesting for me. I have no idea what's going to happen to me at the end, though. Who knows how the world will be when I'm finished?

But I'm doing it for me. I want to learn what there is to learn, and hopefully be able to contribute to the scientific community in some way along the way.

A few words of advice/warning:

1. You. Must. Like. Math. No way around it. There will be calculus and differential equations and every bit of advance math you can imagine.

2. Be prepared for lots of funny looks when you answer the question "Hey, what's your major?"

posted on Feb, 15 2010 @ 10:53 PM
link   
Astronomy can be just as relaxing as art classes are to an aspiring artists. It was truly a fun class, and was nice to see a few planets through the telescope ( Jupiter mainly ), but the best part of it was that I was learning something that I had a fascination with ever since I was in elementary school I've loved Space and all it's wonders. Now you must ask yourself if that is something that you want to do [especially for the rest of you life].

Also as the field evolves you will evolve as well more than likely, so I would have to say you won't have to worry about it changing and leaving you behind so much. If there is a new field that is coming up, you would probably be the first to know about it at least faster than the main stream media I'd say.

First I should ask what do you plan to do with that sort of degree? I have to ask since people usually ask what I want to do with my philosophy degree.

posted on Feb, 15 2010 @ 10:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Gigantea Rosa

I dont really have an exact plan other than its something that Id like to do for the rest of my life. Ive always liked the whole idea of exploring the universe and pretty much everything in the whole field. I dont really know what organization I would want to go to tho. It really wouldnt matter to me where I end up working at, just as long as its what I want to do.

posted on Feb, 15 2010 @ 11:06 PM
link   
reply to post by buni11687

How about teaching? Would that be a viable option for you? Having at least two things planned that you could do would at least be helpful in the long haul just in case one thing doesn't go through. That way if you can't teach you can work in an observatory. If the observatory doesn't work you could always teach, either way both ways would leave you in the astronomy field and learning new things just as well.

posted on Feb, 15 2010 @ 11:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by buni11687
So Ive been thinking about majoring in Astronomy, the reason is just because I think its awesome. Anyways I was wondering what your thoughts about taking about 4 years worth of schooling will be worth it in the future.

Basically what Im trying to ask is, do you think there will be a new field of study realatively soon? Do you think with the way the economy is, are organizations going to lose funding and in turn make it super difficult to actually get career at some places, if we dont get out of the economic crisis in time?

I just want to hear yalls opinions on the subject pretty much because this is a pretty big decision for me and want a good amount of outside opinion.

Honestly, regardless of the situation, if you like astronomy, do it, and minor in business or marketing or something like that if you want to hedge your bets.

That being said, a Bachelor's degree in Astronomy isn't going to get you very far in the field of Astronomy. It's one of those fields where you have to have your eye on at least a Master's and probably a PhD if you want to do any really cool level of research in the field or have any kind of decent job. If you want to pursue Academia and eventually teach, you'd need to get your education from a reputable program because the competition to teach post-graduate is ridiculous.

Everybody and their dog has a business/marketing degree, avoid it like the plague! It's basically an advanced high school diploma and shows a real lack of originality and drive (IMO).

posted on Feb, 15 2010 @ 11:13 PM
link   
Agree. Go into this with a long term plan. B.S. degree will not be enough. However, there are so many options along the way... I looked up the program at UTexas, Austin out of curiosity and it sounds awesome. There are plenty of opportunities for undergrads. to get involved in research programs and do some incredible hands on work. As you get further in the program, you will discover what you like, what you don't and a path will emerge. I say go for it... it's a long road to PhD (which you may decide to do) but the journey will have a lot of opportunity for some amazing contributions.

posted on Feb, 15 2010 @ 11:14 PM
link   
I'm majoring in business and minoring in Astronomy.

About to flip that around though, and Major in Astronomy and Minor in business.

Astronomy is a great class.

If you personally don't know alot about astronomy, or just want a good paying job out of it, probably best to just leave it like other courses you've steered away from, If it's not fun to you, it's going to be terrible, and you'd probably regret it down the road. :/

posted on Feb, 15 2010 @ 11:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Avenginggecko

Yea I definantly do not ever want to be in the corporate/business world. That one thing im going to totally skip over. But if I do plan to go Astronomy all the way, im going to go for the Masters or PhD. Im not for sure if I want to teach it. Being in an observatory would be where Im shooting at.

posted on Feb, 15 2010 @ 11:25 PM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

I also looked into UT Austin and San Antonio and they got some good classes from what ive seen to. Also TCU in Ft Worth has some good classes there to so im thinking I may go to TCU, its closer to where I am now so it would be more convenient at the moment.

posted on Feb, 15 2010 @ 11:28 PM
link   
Oh, what the heck, eh? If you're interested in it, take it. I have known many people in my lifetime who studied something in college and ended up doing something different for a career.

A nephew who majored in art is now a fireman. In fact, he always wanted to be a fireman, but wanted to study art first.

An accounting major who now constructs concrete burial vaults.

An obstetrician who now owns and operates an upscale boutique.

A philosophy major who is a roofing contractor.

An architecture graduate who builds custom cabinets.

I graduated with a degree in accounting, passed the CPA exam and I am an artist.

One thing though, for someone who is going to college and wants to feel safe that there will be employment in the chosen field, medicine. Nursing, any of the doctor fields, anesthesiologist or x-ray technician. I think it's safe to say, these jobs won't be difficult to find employment in.

posted on Feb, 15 2010 @ 11:30 PM
link   
reply to post by buni11687

Great. Just do it. Once you get going, you will figure out where you want to go in the field and with the career. If life permits, I would suggest forgoing "convenience" and choose the program that is most interesting and that offers the most variety of education and experience. Good luck and remember, you are never stuck. Don't like, change it.

[edit on 15-2-2010 by LadySkadi]

posted on Feb, 15 2010 @ 11:46 PM
link   
reply to post by kyred

I may end up doing another course on the side just incase it all dosent go as planned. I was thinking about doing another science course like nanotechnology, but colleges that have courses for that are very few.

posted on Feb, 15 2010 @ 11:51 PM
link   
OP,
If you're planning to major in astronomy and haven't already taken a low level astronomy course; sign up for a 1000 or 101 level class to test the waters first. It will be a big commitment and you should be certain it’s a discipline you are willing to dedicate yourself towards before jumping in head first.

An astronomy degree is tough to work with. You will have to learn most of the same higher mathematics that physicists, chemists, mathematicians, and engineers have to learn; however, the degree won't hold the same weight as one in any of those disciplines would.

The math you will utilize at the 101 level will more than likely be comprised of intermediate Algebra and possibly some minor Trigonometry; however, as you move past 1000/101 (1st year) level courses, understand that most of what you will be learning will be heavily based on higher math, like another response mentioned: Calculus; Differential equations; Matrix Algebra; Linear Algebra; etc.

The degree will be practically worthless in terms of earning potential; only with a Ph.D. or MS, from a good school, will you be able to expect to make any money.

A minor in general business is basically worthless these days, like mentioned earlier, it's like an advanced HS diploma; in my opinion a BSBA in marketing valueless as well. If you're going to go the business degree route a focus in Accounting would be (in my opinion) the best choice in terms of earning potential and it demonstrates you have focus.

Don't take my advice the wrong way, if studying astronomy is what you really want to do with yourself; by all means, go for it!

Dreams do deserve the chance to become realities sometimes.

~CosmicClearance

[edit on 15-2-2010 by CosmicClearance]

posted on Feb, 16 2010 @ 12:38 AM
link   
Exactly how many jobs are out there...especially in a strapped economy..for an astronomer anyhow?

Teachers...erm..and more teachers.

Is there even a call for astronomy anymore in the private sector?

posted on Feb, 16 2010 @ 12:49 AM
link   
If you do decide to go the astronomy route you may want to make it a minor or do a double major with mechanical engineering. That way you could stand a decent chance of getting on with NASA, or another space agency. NASA's robotic exploration funding just increased now that constellation is canceled. Just a thought. Might be able to work on future missions to the planets.

[edit on 16-2-2010 by djvexd]

posted on Feb, 16 2010 @ 01:12 AM
link   
As others have said, you're probably going to end up going for your passion, no matter what you start going to school for.

I'm a sophomore this year and entered college undecided, then declared journalism my major, because i love to write and i love photography. I declared anthropology as my minor, because I thought it was interesting. I started taking the anthro courses and was blown away. I declared it a second major, it's my passion. And you know what, I wasn't surprised at all, either. I remember sitting in my gravel driveway 12 years ago and looking for fossils, i loved breaking open rocks to find fossils, and i loved jurassic park (still do). But even more than that, I loved human evolution. So anthropology was a better choice for me than paleontology, especially because I hate geology.

Anyway, not to go on about myself, I'm just trying to illustrate that your passion will grasp you.

I, too, have a deep love for astronomy, but math and I have never been friends. As one poster said, you MUST love math. My roommate from last semester is an astrophysics major who's going to Penn State next year, and wants to go to MIT after that for his PhD. Without that, you can't do anything. A bachelors in anthropology is going to do me nothing. But I want to teach, and will pursue a PhD in it in order to do that.

Anyway, as Roxette says in their fantastic late 80s hit, listen to your heart.

posted on Feb, 16 2010 @ 02:40 AM
link   
If its something you really want to do and dedicate 4 years of your life to accomplishing, do it.

Just be sure you'll still want to be doing it 1 year, 4 years, and 40 years from now. I've already seen many of my friends and family waste years, even entire bachelor's of science and other fields of study because they either

A) Didn't want to do it anymore

B) Couldn't find any worth while job that puts their study to use

As I said, if you really are positive this is your thing, do it. Just get ready for a TON of math/calculus/physics. I too wanted to do astronomy... until the first month of my physics class... then I didn't want to do it so much anymore

posted on Feb, 16 2010 @ 08:17 AM
link   
Major in Geology, it rocks. hehe

On a serious note, I am a Geology major with about a year left in school. Thinking about going on to get my masters and the field of planetary science is one I am definitely interested in. Talking with one of my teachers and he recommended I try for something that could get me a planetary science job or a regular Geology job. Something like geophysics (which he said is going to be a big field in the future as far as space is concerned).

If you decide against the Astronomy route, take a couple of Geology classes. A ton of practical stuff you can do with a bachelors in Geology and if you go to the right schools (those with some planetary science programs) you can take some upper level classes and see what its really all about.

new topics

top topics

join