It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

4.000.000.000. degrees recorded using an atom smasher.

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 08:42 AM
link   
reply to post by DClairvoyant

Sorry i didn't make myself clear. I meant would it be possible to reverse the effects of those two atoms heated by trillions of degree's celcius so you could have the opposite effects of explosive heat to an instant freeze?

To be perfectly honest... I'm not entirely sure that I understand where you are going with this one.....

Are you suggesting turning heat energy into "Cold" energy or something like that?

Or are you suggesting cooling the atoms to 4 trillion degrees below zero, or something?

-Edrick

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 09:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Edrick

What I gather is that he's talking about once having the collision, and separating the material into a plasma state or quark/gluon "soup" state, rapidly bringing the temperature back down, to study the reformation of the particles.

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 10:18 AM
link   
Well I just heard that 4 trillion has almost been doubled and they just reported tempetures of 7.2 Trillion degrees!!!

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by whiterabbit85
reply to post by Edrick

What I gather is that he's talking about once having the collision, and separating the material into a plasma state or quark/gluon "soup" state, rapidly bringing the temperature back down, to study the reformation of the particles.

I gather that is what they would do if they had the capability to contain the subatomic particles inside the detector for the time it takes to bring the temperature back down....

But the truth of the matter is, once the particles collide, the resulting quarks/gluons expand rather rapidly, and so they can only detect the results for thousandths of a second.

-Edrick

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by vip867
Well I just heard that 4 trillion has almost been doubled and they just reported tempetures of 7.2 Trillion degrees!!!

Yeah, 4 trillion Celcius approximately equals 7.2 trillion Farenheit.

All it took was a calculator. I even duplicated it at home. Amazing!

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bluebelle
reply to post by EnlightenUp

There's some big words there, and I agree with them. Unfortunately though your speech is wasted on me because I was in fact joking.
My humour is wasted on you people. :shk:

Yes, smashing words. Your humor wasn't wasted, it was exploited like a natural resource.

String Theory apparently has something to say about strange behavior observed in the soup:

The Relativistic Heavy Ion Collider (RHIC) hosts collisions between the nuclei of gold atoms that are moving at roughly 99 percent of the speed of light, creating a quark soup similar to the one that existed immediately after the big bang. But the scientists running the experiments started noticing something funny about the data: instead of expanding evenly outward, the collision debris were ellipsoidal (think a 3-D ellipse). What was even stranger was that this sort of behavior had already been described, for a gas of lithium atoms at the opposite end of the temperature spectrum, at a fraction of a microkelvin. As these groups were talking about a collaboration, things got stranger still when string theorists started citing this work, since the behavior had already been predicted through their work—a fact that the physicists weren't aware of until a science reporter called to ask what they thought about it.

String theory officially useful, may not represent reality

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 11:03 AM
link   
I want to know how you contain something that hot on earth.

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by sv_gravity 800
I want to know how you contain something that hot on earth.

You contain it inside a vacuum chamber, suspended away from the chamber walls using magnetic fields.

Great reading on the subject can be found by researching Tokamak reactors:

en.wikipedia.org...

A plasma, is the fourths state of matter (Solid, liquid, gas, plasma) describes as a super hot gas, whose electrons have been stripped from the orbit of their accompanying nuclei.

Since the plasma is basically an Ionic Soup... it flows along magnetic fields lines.

So, all you have to do, is design a chamber whose internal magnetic field lines never touch the sides of the camber, and BOOM, you can store UBER hot plasma, in a vacuum, away from the walls of the chamber.

Plasma physics is an exiting new field of science, and the behavior of plasma within magnetic fields are well understood.

Take the Aurora's for example....

High energy plasma from the sun (Solar Wind) flows along the earths magnetic field lines toward the poles.

-Edrick

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Wow !

I thought the science was interesting but I think all of you posting on it, is even more interesting.

Thanks ! I definitely grew a little bit here. As my understanding on thread was and still is minimal.

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by whiterabbit85
reply to post by Edrick

Thankyou as I appreciate your time that you took Whiterabbit85 to read my comment and explain it better than I. As I have the knowledge but its all mixed and muddled together in my brain and I struggle to explain myself to an understandable level.

[edit on 17-2-2010 by DClairvoyant]

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 10:35 PM
link   
its hard to understand anything electromagnetic, or plasma whatever being able to contain a temperature so hot

posted on Nov, 14 2013 @ 09:40 PM
link   
Great post, wish i knew the insulator...

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 08:57 AM
link   
I'm guessing this is a faux trillion?
Ya'know, the silly American one thousand billion,
As opposed to the true trillion,
The original million billion (1,000,000,000,000,000,000)

Or is everything being measured on the faux scale now?
edit on 15/11/2013 by AmmonSeth because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2013 @ 02:20 AM
link   

AmmonSeth
I'm guessing this is a faux trillion?
Ya'know, the silly American one thousand billion,
As opposed to the true trillion,
The original million billion (1,000,000,000,000,000,000)

Or is everything being measured on the faux scale now?
It's called the long scale and the short scale, not the faux scale, and yes the US and UK are fairly dominant presence in the world even though the UK decline started longer ago and the US decline is more recent...they are both still very influential so the scale they use seems to be dominant in a lot of scientific literature I read. That much is serious, the next part isn't so much.

First, a milliard sounds more like a type of duck to me than a number.

Second, the UK finally got on board with the short scale when they officially switched over to it in 1974 though the transition began long before that, maybe because they got tired of not having anything to refer to 1,000,000,000 that didn't sound like a duck.
Third, I guess some countries are taking longer than the UK to get on board with the system that actually has a name for 10 to the 15th power that doesn't sound like a billiard ball.

Just poking a little fun, as I suppose you were with your "faux" comment, but I find it amazing countries can't agree on what to call big numbers.

Also, to the people asking about insulation etc...a few atoms aren't going to melt anything except a few more atoms which you'd hardly notice. This is why you'd freeze to death at a temperature of 1 million degrees in interstellar space. There are so few million degree atoms, they can't keep you warm enough to stop you from freezing solid.

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

If everyone suddenly decided to call two 'one',
It wouldn't actually make two 'one'

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join