It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Under the Dome: Stephen King

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2010 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Anyone finished that behemoth-of-a-book Under the Dome?! Don't want to spoil it for anyone, but I thought it was such a great story! Lots of parallels and metaphorical references to the world we live in today.

I wanted to reach through the pages and strangle Big Jim Rennie a few times! I didn't buy the special edition with the character sketches, but I did look them up online - Anyone recognize the sketch of Big Jim?

Another interesting aspect of the book is the online viral marketing approach they took - Just about every major place named in the book has its own fake website - Kind of frivolous in my opinion, but I guess Mr King is trying to break new ground in terms of reader entrenchment?

What were your thoughts?

[edit on 2/15/2010 by EnronOutrunHomerun]

posted on Feb, 15 2010 @ 12:02 PM
link   
reply to post by EnronOutrunHomerun

I didn't read your post properly because I was afraid of spoilers and I am thinking of buying Under The Dome. Would you recommend it?

I'm currently racing through his Dark Tower series, I'm up to Wizard and Glass at the moment. Great books

posted on Feb, 15 2010 @ 12:22 PM
link   
reply to post by LiveForever8

It's an epic work - Would definitely recommend it! Along the lines of "The Stand" in terms of overarching stories and good vs. evil. I've read quite a bit of his work, and prior to reading Under the Dome, my favorite of his was Desperation...This book takes my number one spot now

Of all his work I've read though, I still haven't touched the Dark Tower series

That's on my to-do list I guess - Especially if I want to call myself a Stephen King fan - LOL - Would you recommend the Dark Tower series?!

posted on Feb, 15 2010 @ 12:30 PM
link   

The Dark Tower series are the only books of his I have read, I think they're quality. I would definitely recommend them

They are making the books into a film/television series too so try and get them read before that comes out.

en.wikipedia.org...

I shall add Under The Dome to my ever growing list

posted on Feb, 15 2010 @ 11:46 PM
link   
I have been hesitant to spend the money for the book. I read Duma Key, The Cell, and Lisey's Story. King really seemed to be in a slump to me. Lisey's Story and Duma Key were long and really lacked any reason for being so long. They both seemed like a more vicious editor was needed to get them in shape. The Cell was okay, but I kind of felt a been there done that vibe while reading it.

So, honestly is this better than those three?

posted on Feb, 16 2010 @ 08:55 AM
link   
reply to post by MikeNice81

I've read The Cell and Duma Key - I know what you mean...I guess you could say that regardless, there will always be a little kitschy quality to some of King's work...And for the most part, it's because like you said - It's got a been there done that vibe to it, considering how prolific he writes.

I would say Under the Dome is worth picking up though - The Cell and Duma Key were very limited in scope - The cast of characters was smaller, the sequence of events was much more self-contained...Under the Dome takes place in a small town, and you meet just about everyone there...There's a lot of tie-ins and back-and-forth story telling - Not to the point of confusion, but it keeps you turning the page - I think King even says it himself...It's a different "type" of book than what he typically spits out

by LiveForever8
They are making the books into a film/television series too so try and get them read before that comes out.

Awesome! I just hope they do it right for once...His book-to-movie track record is terrible - LOL

[edit on 2/16/2010 by EnronOutrunHomerun]

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 10:51 AM
link   
I always felt the Cell was more like a movie than a book, while reading it...like it was written more as a screenplay.... I actually liked it though. I read a teaser chapter of the Dome, but haven't picked it up yet...

I still have to read the latest Dan Brown book... I've been slacking with some cheaper Dragonlance novels lately...

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by LiveForever8

I didn't read your post properly because I was afraid of spoilers and I am thinking of buying Under The Dome. Would you recommend it?

I'm currently racing through his Dark Tower series, I'm up to Wizard and Glass at the moment. Great books

I must now read 'Under the Dome'. I like a lot of King's books and I really liked Duma Key and the Dark Tower series was an incredible journey through.....everything. I love reading a series and you start to wonder, 'how in the world will he figure out a way to end this?'

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 09:22 AM
link   
I have to admit, it's weird (Duma Key) hearing King writing about places near me (here in FL), vs. up in Maine... I heard he has another home somewhere around here, that he winters at...

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 07:30 AM
link   
I forgot I had this book as my sis had borrowed it before she gave it to me for Xmas and it's been over there for a while. I'll have to finish the books I picked up from the library and No Logo before I get into this one.

The whole Florida thing hasn't worked for me. I found Lisey's Story quite boring and have yet to finish it and haven't even started Duma Key yet. Have to work on that but Florida doesn't fit King, for me. Universal Studios, Disney World, South Beach, Stephen King. Which one of these things doesn't fit LOL!

Sis said Dome was good so I'm looking forward to it. I should turn off ATS more often and read these books.

posted on Apr, 2 2010 @ 11:20 AM
link   
I can't wait to read this. It reminds me of Needful Things which is my favorite book by him. The Dark Tower series was okay, my favorite part was Rolands ending.

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 06:07 PM
link   
Spoiler Alert....do not read this post if you have not read the book

I just finished reading this book and I really enjoyed it. I loved that it was over 1000 pages because it was such good summer entertainment, I could savor it and enjoy it over the course of a few days.

When the dome came down...I, who consider myself a little clever at figuring out what the cause is or represents, had a tremendous difficulty guessing what caused the dome and why.

I was thinking of sophisticated high tech government sponsored evil experiments.

That it is a childish plaything is so interesting to consider...even after you put the book down. Look at our amazing technology we have today...not less that 40 to 30 years ago, computers which only stored records and did basic computation, took up major space in corporate headquarters and required strict security to even go into the computer rooms.....

Now we hand off this technology with no thought to our children...cell phones, video games, facebook and twitter. And look at how the biggest danger of this is them hurting each other with it! This is an interesting metaphor for the book given he started writing it in 1970 something. Kids today are stuck under a techno dome of school and facebook where they cannot escape.

But I do not think that was Mr. Kings point. My all time favorite book is "Needful Things" and this seems like an extension of that book somehow. The good and the evil in Needful Things are delineated and clear...but in Under the Dome they are a little more muddled.....in Under the Dome goodness comes from strength to persevere and evil grows where people give up the fight and leave it to someone else.

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 10:32 PM
link   
I read it...I found some interesting correlations to the plotline and some of our conspiracy theories (I forget the specifics now; I read it months ago)...

Decent book, entertaining and I certainly wanted to ring the neck of Big Jim Rennie myself the entire way.

Worth the read...

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 08:18 PM
link   
I finished it a few days ago. Just happened to see it at Wal-Mart last Saturday. The thing that hit me was this is what it will be like when TSHTF. The human condition with all its warts and wrinkles is what King does best. I was enthralled from begining to end. The size of the cast of characters reminded me of The Stand which is my all-time favorite. I loved that he included young people as heros in this novel. I hated the way Cell ended, but I really liked Duma Key and Lisey's Story. Under the Dome is one of his best though.

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 08:27 PM
link   
I read the book while handling various other activities. I thought it was a great book and it takes the spot of "favorite King novel."

However I think the ending was a little weak. I don't want to give too much away so I won't say much. I just felt like somebody said "okay Stephen people don't read epic books any more. Wrap it up before it becomes longer than The Stand."

I usually don't like the way author's end books. So take my opinion for what it is worth.

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 06:04 PM
link   
I loved it. One of his best IMO. Such a variety of character development! There were so many people you have to keep flipping backwards to the
character page, but once you know who everyone is - hold on!

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 05:22 PM
link   
I'm re-reading it for the third or fourth time. I love that one. There is a lot of ATS type material in there.

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Did anybody else catch the Jack Reacher reference in the book. I questioned it a bit with Lee Child's endorsement on the front of the book. I kind of developed my own little conspiracy. Mainly because it struck me as not really fitting with the Reacher mythos.

Anybody else catch it or even know what I am talking about?

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 06:34 PM
link   
I read Under the Dome a while back and I absolutely loved it. Couldn't stop reading it for one second. I've never had any real interest in Stephen King but after reading Under the Dome I've become a huge fan. Busy reading a few of his other books including a collection of his short stories. There's just something about the way he writes that gets you hooked. Think it's the way he describes things and the characters, how he brings them to life.

I'd say Under the Dome is a must. Haven't read The Tower series yet but I've heard it's just as good.

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 11:24 PM
link   
reply to post by SlovenlyGhost

You'll like it. It ties a lot of his work together.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join