It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Abortion: The Reality Show

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Have we gone too far for entertainment value?

Well, ATS friends...the world keeps getting stranger.

A new show lets viewers weigh in on whether the characters have abortions. Is it a smart way to spark discussion about abortion, or tone deaf and callous?
It's a "fake" reality show in which three actresses portray women facing unintended pregnancies. These characters, entirely fictional, have agreed to appear on a reality TV show and let the public weigh in on what they should do about their pregnancies: keep it, terminate it, adoption?

Does anyone else think this is reaching....even stretching?

This seems a little ridiculous. No matter how you feel about the subject. Personally, Im a little offended. No, not about the subject matter. Im offended that people have created this, KNOWING that it would be popular. It's a sure-fire hit.

Because it combines two things that our society SALIVATES for.

1. Controversy and drama

2. Our own personal opinions and convictions

But I guess we can expect more of this nonsense. You know what gets ratings? "The Jersey Shore"...."The Real Housewives".....

Except with this show, now you can interact.

Get ready society! Exercise your self-importance!!

So I ask you ATS....

Are we getting to the point, that we are being desensitized to "sensitive issues"?

Do you see the entertainment value?

Source Article

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by InertiaZero

So I ask you ATS....

Are we getting to the point, that we are being desensitized to "sensitive issues"?

Do you see the entertainment value?

We are not getting to the point. I think this is desensitizing an issue, as you said it.

I won't be watching it for one thing, it's stupid and pointless.

Just a little input. I don't think abortion should be controlled by the state. It is the choice of the women and the family in question. No government should decide what's right for another person.

Nice avatar BTW. It changed, but it's still from FFVII.

I should really proof read my posts...

[edit on 8-2-2010 by Phlynx]

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 05:40 PM
link   
You get a star and flag from me.

When it comes to entertainment in this day and age, it appeals to one thing, and one things only: The ego.

All of these "interactive" reality shows are nothing more than an ego trip designed to suck you in, often suggest you should phone an expensive number to "Vote" for your favourite contestant, and then leave you feeling like you have achieved something.

The reality is you have just spend an hour or so in a vegetative state in front of a plastic box full of electronics, and possibly two or three minutes (possibly longer) in a state of panic as you realist that the phone lines used to vote are all busy. The final part of it, is that your telephone call costs money, most of which wil sit in the bank account of a big faceless corporation, and provide a big fat bonus to the producers of the show, so that they can drive big fast cars.

It then gets worse as the producers think up ever more sick and controversial ways to "entertain" us.

I for one will not be tuning in - espcially as I took my television and disposed of it some time ago.

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Alright, my stance on abortion is pro choice.

The reason is I am a man, and since I can never bear children it's not my place to tell a woman what and what not to do with her own body.

Now, concerning this issue...

Purely disgusting.

You just don't make a reality TV program about abortions and then allow the populace to vote or whatever.

This isn't Abortion Idol.

I understand they want ratings, and I am sure it will garner A LOT of attention, but it's still wrong.

These are personnal matters and should be kept as such.

~Keeper

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 08:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Phlynx

Sometimes I feel like Tifa...strong and smart....but mostly Aerith....Innocent and alone. Best story ever.

But..on topic!

I will not watch it either. In fact, if it makes it to network television (MTV, I presume. They already have one show exploiting ignorant teen moms) then I will call for boycott. Petition?

Actually, what can you really do?

Would this show cause an uproar of religious types?

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 09:07 PM
link   
Reality Show.

Click.

NEXT!

new topics

top topics

join