It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My BTS quote project, I urge you all to participate!

page: 9
<< 6  7  8   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 01:27 PM
link   
“When another person makes you suffer, it is because he suffers deeply within himself, and his suffering is spilling over. He does not need punishment; he needs help. That's the message he is sending.” – Thich Nhat Hanh

“When you plant lettuce, if it does not grow well, you
don't blame the lettuce. You look for reasons it is not
doing well. It may need fertilizer, or more water, or
less sun. You never blame the lettuce. Yet if we have
problems with our friends or family, we blame the other
person. But if we know how to take care of them, they will
grow well, like the lettuce. Blaming has no positive
effect at all, nor does trying to persuade using reason
and argument. That is my experience. No blame, no
reasoning, no argument, just understanding. If you
understand, and you show that you understand, you can
love, and the situation will change” – Thich Nhat Hanh

“Hope is important because it can make the present moment less difficult to bear. If we believe that tomorrow will be better, we can bear a hardship today.” – Thich Nhat Hanh

“When you say something really unkind, when you do something in retaliation your anger increases. You make the other person suffer, and he will try hard to say or to do something back to get relief from his suffering. That is how conflict escalates.” – Thich Nhat Hanh

“In order to rally people, governments need enemies. They want us to be afraid, to hate, so we will rally behind them. And if they do not have a real enemy, they will invent one in order to mobilize us.” – Thich Nhat Hanh

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 01:44 PM
link   
“It’s useless to hold a person to anything he says while he’s in love, drunk, or running for office.” – Shirley Maclaine

"The United States was founded by the brightest people in the country - and we haven't seen them since." – Gore Vidal

"Half of the American people have never read a newspaper. Half never voted for President. One hopes it is the same half." – Gore Vidal

"In America, if you want a successful career in politics, there is one subject you must never mention, and that is politics. If you talk about standing tall, and it's morning in America, and you press the good-news buttons, you're fine. If you talk about budgets, tax reform, bigotry, and so on, you are in trouble. So if we aren't going to talk issues, what can we talk about? Well, the sex lives of the candidates, because that is about the most meaningless thing that you can talk about." – Gore Vidal

"When anyone says to me, 'Can you keep a secret?' I say, 'Why should I, if you can't?'" – Gore Vidal

"Every four years the naive half who vote are encouraged to believe that if we can elect a really nice man or woman President everything will be all right. But it won't be." – Gore Vidal

"Apparently, a democracy is a place where numerous elections are held at great cost without issues and with interchangeable candidates." – Gore Vidal

"The genius of our ruling class is that it has kept a majority of the people from ever questioning the inequity of a system where most people drudge along, paying heavy taxes for which they get nothing in return" – Gore Vidal

'Liberal' comes from the Latin liberalis, which means pertaining to a free man. In politics, to be liberal is to want to extend democracy through change and reform. One can see why the word had to be erased from our political lexicon.” – Gore Vidal

“Happily for the busy lunatics who rule over us, we are permanently the United States of Amnesia. We learn nothing because we remember nothing.” – Gore Vidal

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 01:45 PM
link   
“I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it.” – Groucho Marx

“Only one man in a thousand is a leader of men, the other 999 follow women” – Groucho Marx

“I've had a wonderful time, but this wasn't it” – Groucho Marx

“If you've heard this story before, don't stop me, because I'd like to hear it again.” – Groucho Marx

“I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.” – Groucho Marx

“A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.” – Groucho Marx

“I've been looking for a girl like you - not you, but a girl like you” – Groucho Marx

“Love is the answer. But while you're waiting for the answer, sex raises some pretty good questions.” - Woody Allen

“There have been times when I've thought of suicide but with my luck it'd probably be a temporary solution.” - Woody Allen

“To love is to suffer. To avoid suffering, one must not love. But, then one suffers from not loving. Therefore, to love is to suffer, not to love is to suffer, to suffer is to suffer. To be happy is to love, to be happy, then, is to suffer, but suffering makes one unhappy, therefore, to be unhappy one must love, or love to suffer, or suffer from too much happiness — I hope you're getting this down.” – Woody Allen

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 01:47 PM
link   
“Eating words has never given me indigestion” – Winston Churchill

“If we open a quarrel between the past and the present, we shall find that we have lost the future.” – Winston Churchill

“In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and is widely regarded as a bad move.” – Douglas Adams

“The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.”

“After twelve years of therapy my psychiatrist said something that brought tears to my eyes. He said, "No hablo ingles."

“I talk to myself because I like dealing with a better class of people.”

“May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house.” – George Carlin

“Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you will ever regret – Ambrose Bierce”

“What can everyone do? Praise and blame. This is human virtue, this is human madness.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

“The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong.” – Gandhi

“I have decided to stick with love. Hate is too great a burden to bear.” – Martin Luther King

“A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual doom.” – Martin Luther King

“Have we not come to such an impasse in the modern world that we must love our enemies - or else? The chain reaction of evil - hate begetting hate, wars producing more wars - must be broken, or else we shall be plunged into the dark abyss of annihilation.” – Martin Luther King

“Sometimes you find yourself in the middle of nowhere, and sometimes in the middle of nowhere, you find yourself.”

“Friendship is like a book. It takes a few seconds to burn, but it takes years to write.”

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 01:48 PM
link   
“Before asking someone why they hate you, ask yourself why you even care.”

“There are two kinds of people who don’t say much: those who are quiet and those who talk a lot.”

“I do what I do and I do it well.”

“Some people are so poor, all they have is money.”

“The Earth provides enough to satisfy every man's need but not for every man's greed.” – Gandhi

“If everyone demanded peace instead of another television set, then there'd be peace.” – John Lennon

“The secret of being boring is to say everything.” – Voltaire

“Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. The mediocre mind is incapable of understanding the man who refuses to bow blindly to conventional prejudices and chooses instead to express his opinions courageously and honestly.” – Albert Einstein

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 01:49 PM
link   
“Off goes the head of the king, and tyranny gives way to freedom. The change seems abysmal. Then, bit by bit, the face of freedom hardens, and by and by it is the old face of tyranny. Then another cycle, and another. But under the play of all these opposites there is something fundamental and permanent — the basic delusion that men may be governed and yet be free.” - H. L Mencken

“When a candidate for public office faces the voters he does not face men of sense; he faces a mob of men whose chief distinguishing mark is the fact that they are quite incapable of weighing ideas, or even of comprehending any save the most elemental — men whose whole thinking is done in terms of emotion, and whose dominant emotion is dread of what they cannot understand.” - H. L Mencken

“The American of today, in fact, probably enjoys less personal liberty than any other man of Christendom, and even his political liberty is fast succumbing to the new dogma that certain theories of government are virtuous and lawful, and others abhorrent and felonious. Laws limiting the radius of his free activity multiply year by year: It is now practically impossible for him to exhibit anything describable as genuine individuality, either in action or in thought, without running afoul of some harsh and unintelligible penalty. It would surprise no impartial observer if the motto “In God we trust” were one day expunged from the coins of the republic by the Junkers at Washington, and the far more appropriate word, “verboten,” substituted. Nor would it astound any save the most romantic if, at the same time, the goddess of liberty were taken off the silver dollars to make room for a bas-relief of a policeman in a spiked helmet. Moreover, this gradual (and, of late, rapidly progressive) decay of freedom goes almost without challenge; the American has grown so accustomed to the denial of his constitutional rights and to the minute regulation of his conduct by swarms of spies, letter-openers, informers and agents provocateurs that he no longer makes any serious protest.” - H. L Mencken

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8   >>

join