It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

1/3rd of Women in US Military Raped

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 10:50 PM
link   
excuse me, but when i was stationed at the air force academy, it wasnt the NPR reporting on the massive rape scandal there, it was the military's own JAG. Further, i was in the military and know several women who were raped there.

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 10:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by rcwj1975
reply to post by Aeons

I agree...deal with it everday! But we DO have times where we can prove it. We can show that she is lying or being deceitful, have gotten them to admit to it being a sham and they WON'T prosecute, or get a slap on the wrist for false statements....yet I have seen men raked over the coals in the media, in the city, by people in general even after it WAS PROVEN he didn't rape her...the alligation itself is punishment to a man.

The same is true with Domestic Violence scenarios. I have seen men, time and again, arrested for fights between they and their wives/gf, even when it was the wife/gf who quite literally beat the living snot out of the male. There is always this societal presumption that a male is always to blame in a physical encounter with a woman, despite the fact that there are some truly psycho and murderous females out there.

In the Caribbean once I even noticed a lady pummeling a guy on the street corner, and the only reason the man didn't knock the woman's block off, is because he refused to hit her. People will obviously feel bad for the guy in such a scenario, but in the U.S., it seems that 90% of the time if that guy rightfully defended himself and hit the woman back, that he would be arrested and prosecuted for it. It is also acknowledged within the justice system that women often use the DV laws as a "shield" to hold against their male counterparts, so that they can make them do what they wish, or so they can get back at them. That is why prosecutors are often unwilling to drop such cases, even when the female has finally professed the male's innocence in the case (Which is wrong, every which way you look at it).

As for the rape cases, the worst part is that the guy will get his butt kicked in jail for being a "rapist", even if he is only being initially arrested before arraignment (Which means that he has yet to be proven guilty). Such allegations can cause permanent emotional, as well as physical scars and disabilities (From broken limbs, bashed heads, etc.).

posted on Jan, 28 2010 @ 01:34 AM
link   
No doubt, there have been cases of rape and sexual harassment in the US military. If your busted, your career is history, and there is more than one shleprock sitting behind bars doing hard time in Leavenworth right now for rape. But I can tell you for a fact that there is a hell of a lot of concensual sex going on as well. Usually it will happen among similar ranking soldiers, mostly enlisted E4 and below. Officers and NCO´s mixing it up with lower enlisted...especially females, is highly dangerous, and doesn´t happen as often because of their leadership status. Sexual violations by high ranking personnel are often more seriously punished...which is also why such incidents often are surpressed by intimidation and swept under the rug, or the attempt is at least made to do so.

[edit on 28-1-2010 by fockewulf190]

posted on Jan, 28 2010 @ 01:43 AM
link   
Whatever happened to cameraderie - the "we are in this together, we stand or fall together" thing?

I imagine that for any woman to join the military, she is probably convinced that she is joining a brave army who will fight for rights.

Sadly, there is corruption there, as there is everywhere.

I bet a lot of men in the military have also been raped.

It is a sad commentary on the state of human beings.

posted on Jan, 28 2010 @ 04:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by learningtofly
Whatever happened to cameraderie - the "we are in this together, we stand or fall together" thing?

I imagine that for any woman to join the military, she is probably convinced that she is joining a brave army who will fight for rights.

Sadly, there is corruption there, as there is everywhere.

I bet a lot of men in the military have also been raped.

It is a sad commentary on the state of human beings.

Remember please, the US military is not the only armed force on this planet who also have female soldiers. I seriously doubt any military which includes both sexes does not have to deal with sexual crimes. I would, however, wager that the level of incidents is far fewer compared to civilian life.

posted on Jan, 28 2010 @ 05:16 AM
link   
I don't believe it. Flat out. Don't believe it. I think the women were asked a lot of questions in a survey. Then the answers were massaged to create the ''rape'' outcome.

Miriam-Webster defines rape as ''an act or instance of robbing or despoiling or carrying away a person by force'' and also as ''an outrageous violation''.

Miriam-Webster defines despoil as meaning ''to strip of belongings, possessions, or value''.

Get it? This is how Elizabeth Smart can say in court that she was raped daily. Absurd.

Now get somebody with an agenda to pass out questionnaires to military women. If some women in the military are asked ''when you entered into military service did anybody ever take something away from you?'' and they answer affirmatively.... RAPED! [hair was cut, had to change clothing]

''Were you ever transported from one place to another?''.... RAPED!

''Has anybody every made you feel bad about yourself or feel less of a human being?''.... RAPED!

''Did you ever have something taken away from you... as punishment.... or to teach you a lesson?''.... RAPED!

''Do you ~feeeeel~ like you have ever been made to tolerate outrageous behavior?''.... RAPED!

When you thought your hand grenade had landed close enough to the target to do damage, even if only minimal fragmentary damage, but your instructor scored you low and told you that you could do better..... RAPED!

Elizabeth Smart was recovered in early 2003, almost seven years ago. She was walking on the sidewalk with her presumed captor. They still haven't figured this one out yet. Almost SEVEN years later and they still haven't wrapped it up yet. But she says she was raped daily.

posted on Jan, 28 2010 @ 05:28 AM
link   
reply to post by fockewulf190

I am talking about all the armed forces.

And I think what happens everywhere also happens within the armed forces.

Just because you are in the armed forces does not mean you are not human.

posted on Jan, 28 2010 @ 06:35 AM
link   
The 1/3rd refers to sexual harrassment and not always actual rape.

Not that thats any better.

We have heard studies done that as many as 1/8 women in the US period has been raped or molested. In many militaries it is much lower as the punishment is harsher but in less structured ones I could imagine much higher.

Rape is intrinsically related to power and you will find in probably all cases it comes from an individual who feels they have no power/control in their life or simply desire a feeling of complete mastery over another, emotional and physical.

Power is an addictive thing for humans and those with desire and none do terrible things to obtain it.

I have counselled more than a few victims and one thing in common is that they did not report it initally because they feel helpless and weak and embarrassed and useless. I would say statistics are much higher than reported than anything. But again, in this study it is just for harrassment which could be groping etc.

If I had it my way they'd all be lined up and shot, or worse, as there is absolutely no excuse or reason to commit rape, on ANY grounds.

reply to post by Taupin Desciple

I agree, when you start linking killing to sex, some minds get #ed up and I am sure they would not fare well in society after. Not that women are not capable, of course they are wonderful as soldiers, but what do you think every other guy soldier has on his mind then.

posted on Jan, 28 2010 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Should we be surprised? They don't exactly recruit Rhodes Scholars to do combat. A good portion (not all obviously) are the lowest of the low of society with cranial capacities of a walnut. The reason for that is to have soldiers that are not capable of critical thinking that just do what they are told no matter how barbaric or illegal it is. Then you throw these types of men in with female soliders, what do you think is going to happen?

If you are woman thinking of joining the military...don't. It's not worth it and you are just helping a War Machine that does no lick of good for the planet. If you're smart enough you can find a better paying career that doesn't involve bunking with neanderthals.

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 12:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Roid_Rage27
Should we be surprised? They don't exactly recruit Rhodes Scholars to do combat. A good portion (not all obviously) are the lowest of the low of society with cranial capacities of a walnut. The reason for that is to have soldiers that are not capable of critical thinking that just do what they are told no matter how barbaric or illegal it is. Then you throw these types of men in with female soliders, what do you think is going to happen?

If you are woman thinking of joining the military...don't. It's not worth it and you are just helping a War Machine that does no lick of good for the planet. If you're smart enough you can find a better paying career that doesn't involve bunking with neanderthals.

Quick question.

Have you served?

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 10:48 AM
link   
I love the underlying assumption that women shouldn't be soldiers because they might be raped by their comrades - and if they are, well what do you expect?!?

This fabulous reasoning. I can apply it to all forms of criminal behaviour. A soldier steals? Well, what do you expect - don't have nice things for him to take! A soldier goes wild and runs out of the base with a tank? What do you expect. That's just what you should expect from them!

No? Oh. It is reasoning one can only apply to SEX. I see.

(one of the original guys to run off a base with a tank was a great uncle of mine. Ah. The glory. Just in case someone thinks that would never happen.)

[edit on 2010/1/29 by Aeons]

posted on Jan, 30 2010 @ 10:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aeons
I love the underlying assumption that women shouldn't be soldiers because they might be raped by their comrades - and if they are, well what do you expect?!?

This fabulous reasoning. I can apply it to all forms of criminal behaviour. A soldier steals? Well, what do you expect - don't have nice things for him to take! A soldier goes wild and runs out of the base with a tank? What do you expect. That's just what you should expect from them!

(one of the original guys to run off a base with a tank was a great uncle of mine. Ah. The glory. Just in case someone thinks that would never happen.)

Sex - for men at least - is a biological need. Stealing, looting and killing others are not biological needs. It's always this assumption that men cannot control themselves and are just pigs. Well, when you are put under stress so are your biological needs. It's hard for soldiers to satisfy their biological needs and thus it leads them to do stupid things. This does not excuse rape, but it is one of the underlying factors that contribute to rape taking place in the army.

[edit on 30/1/2010 by Dark Ghost]

posted on Jan, 30 2010 @ 11:04 PM
link   
QUESTION: why would one fully accept this report - - without question?

Because you want to? Because you don't support women in military?

Is there a reason this particular reporter/author would lean heavily to one side?

A reporter/author can ask leading questions to steer a subject in a specific direction.

What determines harassment? To some commenting to a woman she is pretty - - is harassment.

I'm gonna need a second opinion. At least.

posted on Jan, 31 2010 @ 01:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

Is there a reason this particular reporter/author would lean heavily to one side?

A reporter/author can ask leading questions to steer a subject in a specific direction.

What determines harassment? To some commenting to a woman she is pretty - - is harassment.

I don't know the answers to your questions, but a second opinion (perhaps more general than you might want) I can do.

Women in the military are a problem, simple as that. Not only for the women, but for the men.

Generally, I'd say they cause more problems by being there than they solve, however I do not blame the women specifically. We, Americans, have very stupid and twisted views on women, and for the most part women have done little to change it.

Women fought to change the things they wanted to do, but for some reason we didn't give them the crap that comes with being legally the same as men, and this is also true in the military.

The solution is either all in or all out. You can't have this halfway garbage and expect it to work.

Either women are totally in the military and are expected to register for the draft like men and be allowed into active combat roles, or they do not serve at all.

I'd suggest we do the former, but the latter is faster. I doubt, however, that most women would choose real equality though. It currently allows those who wish to serve, while protecting those who don't. The lack of skin in the game is bothersome and weak.

The choice is yours.

Peace,
KJ

[edit on 31-1-2010 by KrazyJethro]

posted on Jan, 31 2010 @ 10:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Cabaret Voltaire

Presumed captor?

Wow. Seriously. WOW.

I suppose in your interesting little world, pretty 15 year old girls are all attracted to disgusting dirty hairy old crazy men. Personal fantasy.

posted on Jan, 31 2010 @ 10:52 AM
link   
There is so much wrong with this post I have no where to start.

Everything from the base up is wrong.

However, it is enlightening of what is going on in the heads of people who are apologists for bad behaviour.

You don't have the OPTION of rape. Even if you do it to the enemy, the fact is that you leave behind a trail of problems in the civilian populce that has impact which comes back to bite you in the ass. You aren't a terrorist organization with a loose structure. You're one of the few large scale armies on the planet, attached to a government and a people with international interests of all types. Most of which are harmed by such undisciplined expectations.

EVEN if you start with accepting even the top layer of wrong assumptions on your post.

Originally posted by Dark Ghost

Sex - for men at least - is a biological need. Stealing, looting and killing others are not biological needs. It's always this assumption that men cannot control themselves and are just pigs. Well, when you are put under stress so are your biological needs. It's hard for soldiers to satisfy their biological needs and thus it leads them to do stupid things. This does not excuse rape, but it is one of the underlying factors that contribute to rape taking place in the army.

[edit on 30/1/2010 by Dark Ghost]

posted on Jan, 31 2010 @ 10:59 AM
link   
If this is more likely things that are considered sexual harasement, then I wouldn't be surprised because it would be inline with the general population.

There are levels - most of which are just handled on a personal basis.

What is generally missing from the scenarios is the discussion of if the woman in question felt that in the situation there was some level of threat or discomfort. Whether the behaviour is creating an atmosphere which is not conducive to work or personal safety.

Originally posted by Annee

posted on Jan, 31 2010 @ 11:05 AM
link   
The laws for draft were changed in several of the First World countries about 5 years ago. Women are eligible for the draft.

I assure you, the twisted thing about people's views on women aren't the ones that assume that I am a capable human being.

The twisted ones are the ones that have been common on the planet - to which I ask - do you really prefer for your daughters the life that women have been forced into in most cultures over the last 2000 years? Because you have some underlying assumption that men are beasts and women are fragile?

reply to post by KrazyJethro

posted on Jan, 31 2010 @ 11:48 AM
link   

The laws for draft were changed in several of the First World countries about 5 years ago. Women are eligible for the draft.

I was speaking about America and America only. In terms of America, women are not required to apply to the Selective Service and are not eligible for the draft.

Women may also not be in direct combat jobs.

I assure you, the twisted thing about people's views on women aren't the ones that assume that I am a capable human being.

Point out where I said otherwise. I assure you that I did not contradict your statement.

The twisted ones are the ones that have been common on the planet - to which I ask - do you really prefer for your daughters the life that women have been forced into in most cultures over the last 2000 years? Because you have some underlying assumption that men are beasts and women are fragile?

Foolishness. Did you miss the part where I advocated removing all restrictions on women's role in the military and supported their ability to be drafted?

I think you misunderstand me. If you have questions or believe I believe something untoward about women, ask and I will let you know.

posted on Jan, 31 2010 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Cabaret Voltaire

I remember learning a nasty little thing about surveys and statistics in sociology class. I was a freshman in college. We were asked how many people "knew" that half of all women had been raped. Of course this started a debate. Then the professor "proved" his point with statistics from a study done at a major university. Everybody was shocked. Then he showed us the actuall questions asked of the girls.

A small percentage said they had been raped. The majority of supposed rapes were women that answered other questions. If a woman felt "pressured" by her partner to perform a sexual act after a date it was considerred rape. If the pressure was self created it was still counted as rape. Neither type of pressure actually had to lead to actual sexual contact. Even being touched in a way that was awkward or uncomfortable was counted as rape.

I cannot believe such high numbers without seeing exactly how the results were reached. 1 in 3 would be be a huge leap from th society at large. That would be double what RAINN claims for the civillian population. According to the statistics you view it could be a much larger jump.

I call the number questionable.

[edit on 31-1-2010 by MikeNice81]

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join