It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Possible conflict between space tourism and the military?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Hello everyone,

We, humans, are progressing fast, gound breaking technological advancements occur daily by now, humanity has never before in recorded history gained so much momentum, and it won't be long till we reach out into the seemingly infinite space and develope new ways to efficiently transport our people up there, and lets not forget, it should be affordable too.

One term that gains awareness these days is "space tourism", with many public spaceports being planned all around the world and the first spaceport being opened by Virgin Galactic very soon, will redefine space exploration and how we go about it dramatically...

...that is if we are allowed to go further than a sub-orbital flight.

You know, there are a lot of classified satellites and objects orbiting our planet, and very few know about them, here is a list of classified yet acknowledged NRO (National Reconnaissance Office) satellites: Link
And I think the list would double/triple if all were to be mentioned at wikipedia

That's just the NRO, what about the Air Force/Navy Space Command? They sure do have classified material flowing about our heads?! I guess it would be a dead thread if I wouldn't mention flying saucers and space critters, and those black projects of course. How about them?

Well here is an article about Trevor Paglen. Link

BERKELEY, California -- For most people, photographing something that isn't there might be tough. Not so for Trevor Paglen. His shots of 189 secret spy satellites are the subject of a new exhibit -- despite the fact that, officially speaking, the satellites don't exist.

189? Oh really?!
Let me get to my point of the discussion: Will the space tourism industry fail due to the militarization of space?

Isn't it much easier for the average joe to observe classified material in a, lets say, space hotel/station?

[edit on 20-1-2010 by Clairaudience]

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 01:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Clairaudience

I think the private sector will when out. For one reason here in the US (as far as I am aware) there are no laws prohibting nor can there be laws prohibiting Americans from traveling in space. What makes it redundat for them to try is that the Russians and the Chinese as well as the E.U have many manned and Un-manned space flights already. You cant stop forward progress, esp when American Consumners and inventors want to go there.

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 05:52 AM
link   
reply to post by poedxsoldiervet

This is a very true statement, it is becoming an unstoppable trend and it would be indeed hard to pass laws prohiting any world citizen to travel to space. Yet the problem maintains, especially if the rumors of a black buget military space program are true for example... There are already many people tracking unidentified objects in orbit from earth, up there it will be a lot easier...

join