It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Let's put Haiti into perspective on a global scale!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 07:19 AM
link   
I think we can all agree that what has happened to the Haitian people is a terrible terrible catastrophe none of us would ever wish on anyone. However, I find it a little ironic that when things like this happen Hollywood celebs, ex-politicians, and many other organizations come flying out of the woodwork to be heard or seen. Even in America there are millions of people that are homeless including thousands of children. There are hundreds of thousands of people right here in America that live in as much poverty as many Haitians do. Multiply that on a global scale and it's easy to forget the Haitian people are not the only human beings struggling in this world. Let us be reminded especially here in America that even though Haiti is going through a terrible nightmarish disaster we need to get our act together in our own country as well.

Why isn't Larry King, Bill Clinton, George Bush, Ben Stiller, and P. Diddy doing more for their own right here in America? Let's do all we can for Haiti.......for sure.............but let's use this as a time to reflect on our own poverty stricken citizens that we've been ignoring as well.
www.pbs.org...

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 07:27 AM
link   
All sound questions

The US encourages people to regard 'disasters' as entertainment ... particularly disasters that happen Somewhere Else

This banding together in outpourings of sympathy is exactly that --- it works as a glue and creates the illusion of 'togetherness' as well as promoting national pride and as such, helps people to forget for Fifteen Minutes, the problems in their OWN nation as well as their personal woes

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 07:38 AM
link   
There has been some criticism on the net, of a cruise ship docked some 60 miles away from the main afflicted area. They did provide some relief aid - though some passengers continued to party.
My response, as you have pointed out, is that suffering is all around us, all the time. I think just about everybody realises this, but most of us prefer to shove it to the backs of our minds. After all, we don't want guilt to get in the way of buying that new TV or a nice bottle of wine for dinner.
And which of us has gone without to give help to someone more needy?
As for celebrities, I guess if it publicises a cause, it can't be bad. But I'll reserve my admiration for those who plug away, in the background, with a charitable cause, as a way of giving some back. Fortunately there are a few.

[edit on 20-1-2010 by unicorn1]

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 07:49 AM
link   
America is always the first in to show that they are helping some poor unfortunates.

Who knows what they will do after that, or wether the military presence there will leave after the country has been brought back into a more peaceful existence.

new topics

top topics

join