It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Muslim Group Cancels Wootton Bassett March

page: 1

join
share:
CX

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Muslim Group Cancels Wootton Bassett March

news.sky.c om

Muslim group Islam4UK has cancelled controversial plans to hold an anti-war march through Wootton Bassett - the town which honours repatriated British soldiers.

The Islamic organisation's proposals had received widespread criticism, with Prime Minister Gordon Brown condemning the proposed demonstration as "abhorrent and offensive."

(visit the link for the full news article)

CX

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 04:16 PM
link   
Thankfully this group has seen sense for the time being and cancelled the protest, it would have benefited nobody holding it there.

As they say in the main article, they are not going to stay quiet, but at least this prevented a riot.

I would like to thank Gordon Brown for doing all in his power to condemn the march, rather than take his head out of his backside for two seconds and just ban it altogether.

I agree with free speech and all that, but when it comes to an obvious potential bloodbath in sleepy town that just wants to pay respects to it's country's fallen, he could have done a lot more in my opinion.

In a statement, leader Anjem Choudary also said the group had engaged with thousands of ordinary people through its website and via blogs, phone calls and emails on the reality of the conflict.

But it added: "We at Islam4UK have decided, after consultation with others, including our Sheikh Omar Bakri Muhammad, that no more could be achieved even if a procession were to take place in Wootton Bassett.

"And in light of this we would like to announce today that there will no longer be a procession through this market town."

It added: "This does not mean that we will remain silent on the atrocities being committed in Afghanistan under the guise of fighting for freedom and democracy.

"And it also does not mean that we will not continue to highlight the true cost of this war against Islam and Muslims called fighting terrorism."

Personaly i think Anjem Choudary knew what would happen if he had turned up on the day, not that he would have had the balls to. Thats the real reason he has canceled.

CX.

news.sky.c om
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 10/1/10 by CX]

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Might as well just let a KKK rally pass through Compton, California if they were to let that protest take place. It wouldn't have made any sense at all.

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 04:27 PM
link   
I don't think they intended to march at all. He used the media to his advantage to hype up his cause, without having to actually do anything.

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 04:48 PM
link   
reply to post by adifferentbreed

thats what i thought, plus we now have people that are still annoyed that they said they'd do it and if this is another continuation of the us vs them thing we have people even more divided.

"yeah, bloody muslims dont have the right to be marching in our town!!!"
or just as bad
"well people might get offended, we can't let them do that"

even though its nothing to do with it, they piss off loads of people and plant ideas (as you say) without having to do anything.
sad really.

[edit on 10-1-2010 by james420]

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 04:55 PM
link   
reply to post by james420

The interesting thing I find is, the government does this everyday, in even more understandable ways, and yet, the masses fall for it. Since the whole world is quickly becoming a propoganda fest, we'll just see people on both sides of any arguement utilizing this more and more.

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 05:10 PM
link   
Yes it would have been a bloodbath and he would have milked it for all it's worth

Rhetoric aside, I think that Choudary would have pushed as hard as he could for this march. Gordon Brown is now under pressure, there were calls for a leadership challenge and the the calls for a dialogue between Gordon Brown and Islam4UK just seemed to disappear. was Mr brown no longer seen as the person to talk to in an open forum? will Islam4UK try a similar stunt to get to a position of negotiating power with a future leader of the UK?

Has anything happened behind the scenes? My guess would be no as Gordon Brown doesn't appear to be that statesman like.

What's worrying me is the political instability this has caused. The timing of this seems to be well calculated, this march could have been anytime in the past couple of years, so why now. I think Islam4UK are political chancers, they've deliberately taken this chance shortly before an election is due to be called so that they can get their ideals out without going to expense, ridicule or just being ignored.

Islam4UK took a gamble that they could not lose. If the were allowed to march, then they could use the rhetoric and probable abuse to their advantage, if the march was banned, then they could claim discrimination and tie the governament up in courts for years

But the big winner for them has been back door ligitamacy. News channels will be clamouring for "Quotes" from the redical muslims and will continually knock on Choudarys door. Certain media and the public now only see Islam4uk as the public crazy voice of Muslims, but still more than likely the only knwoledge of public muslim politics.

They've brought sensationalism to the whole immigration and integration debate and will be roled out by all the "news" channels and sources until well after the next election.

[edit on 10/1/10 by osc121]

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 05:23 PM
link   
The jihad concept of "hudna" is instructional for all citizens of Great Btitain.

You should take the opportunity presented to apostate as many Muslims is you can and encourage the self-deportation of the rest.

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 05:23 PM
link   
He didn't backtrack, he didn't cancel. I don't believe he ever intended to march. This was all a stunt to get people worked up and get them into the media. He got his audience, he made his statement, job done.

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Are we supposed to be thankful of the wisdom of Islam4UK's decision, Oh, how magnanimous of Choudary.

The truth is that this group would probably only end up with a small number of demonstrators (which would be embarrassing) and / or and face a larger counter demonstration and / or the police would prevent the demo from taking place using some ancient bylaw.

Of course, under Sharia law (the Islam4UK's website seems to have removed the revisions to the UK's legal system they have been proposing, so check back in a couple of weeks and have a laugh) any form of protest would be banned as un-Islamic. Off with your hands and hide your women.

Don't you just love these nutjob radicals and their mindset? Choudary knows what he is doing, it's all his indoctrinated little followers who don't because they all think it's better in Iran.

Edit to add that although I would be dead against, I think that he has a right to demonstrate. I would never deny this right, although Choudary would deny it of me.

Regards

[edit on 10/1/2010 by paraphi]

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 05:53 PM
link   
I very much beleive that this march would have been taken to the very brink had it not been for extraordinary events such as the attempted leadership debate and severe weather warnings which knocked this from no1 slot on the nightly news. It took the momentum away.

But I don't think that Mr Choudary himself would have been anywhere near it, he would be deep within a "sympathetic" Muslim community directing venom and rhetoric against any backlash.

Before the Islam4UK website was taken down there were links to the following event the day before it actually happened. Mr Choudary implying the homecoming march would get what it deserved. Proving that he has the ability to "direct" redicals.

Soldiers at Luton homecoming march 'branded killers'

Choudary seemed to condone the action befiore it had been committed and also proves that he is willing to take on the establishment in this way, consider the Luton protest a dry run, so he will be planning further demonstrations

Profile: Islam4UK

and just for fun

Labour’s secret scheme to build multicultural Britain

just to show that they have meddled and failed

The anti march Facebook group has reached 750,000 and rising.

edit for spelling

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 06:00 PM
link   
And another peice of background information on Mr Choudary

Islam4UK Sharia in Britain

www.abovetopsecret.com...

new topics

top topics

join