It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China overtakes Germany as biggest exporter

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 07:31 AM
link   
Yahoo News

BEIJING – China overtook Germany as the world's top exporter after December exports jumped 17.7 percent for their first increase in 14 months, data showed Sunday, in another sign of China's rise as a global economic force.

China's new status is largely symbolic but reflects the ability of its resilient, low-cost manufacturers to keep selling abroad despite a slump in global consumer demand due to the financial crisis.

I never knew Germany was once the biggest exporter. News to me. Im sure we all pretty much saw this coming.

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 09:13 AM
link   
Alright, I may have been totally wrong, write that one up. I am not so vain I will not admit mistakes.

Why don't they give the US export numbers? Of course this could have to the tanking dollar also. I wonder when the Zimbabwe dollar will be worth more then the US dollar.

Oh, probably right after the next "stimulus" package. When did they rename sexual assault to STIMULUS PACKAGE?

[edit on 1/10/2010 by endisnighe]

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 09:34 AM
link   
reply to post by buni11687

I never knew Germany was once the biggest exporter. News to me. Im sure we all pretty much saw this coming.

Just reinforces the fact that Yanks know nothing about the world

Btw, I know you're not a Yank
I do know something about you Texans.

Germany has been the worlds top exporter for decades & was only passed out in economic output by China in late 2007/early 2008.. Now it even sells the Chinese factories most of their production equipment. At 82 million people and with the EU's largest internal economy, Germany is one of the worlds wealthiest countries in the worlds wealthiest economy.. Even though you rarely hear anything from them on a world stage because they are still embarrassed over WW2.

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dermo
Germany has been the worlds top exporter for decades & was only passed out in economic output by China in late 2007/early 2008.. Now it even sells the Chinese factories most of their production equipment. At 82 million people and with the EU's largest internal economy, Germany is one of the worlds wealthiest countries in the worlds wealthiest economy.. Even though you rarely hear anything from them on a world stage because they are still embarrassed over WW2.

Actually, no. In the 90's the US was the world's biggest exporter, followed by Japan and Germany. By the late 90's Germany surpassed Japan. Then 2003 Germany surpassed the US. Then August of '09 China surpassed Germany.

As I've said before in another thread, good luck in trying to compete with the engineering prowess of the Germans (or the innovations of the Japanese, or the efficiency of the Chinese.)

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 04:43 PM
link   
reply to post by eldard

lol Well I wasn't TOO far off from memory.
Second line.

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Per Reinhardt's Bridging of Divides and Nation-building:

Already the biggest auto market and steel maker, China edged past Germany in 2009 to become the top exporter, yet another sign of its rapid rise and the spread of economic power from West to East.

news.yahoo.com...

Cool.

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 04:07 PM
link   
It doesnt really matter anyway. While the view from the top was very nice while it lasted, a nation of 80 million logically cannot and ethically should not be able to compete with a 1.3 billion behemoth. Especially since the gigantic Chinese economy still is incapable of indigenous innovation in no area whatsoever.

What is more relevant though is that Germany has run a healthy trade surplus virtually for the last 50 years, and that is what keeps us afloat.

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 10:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lonestar24
Especially since the gigantic Chinese economy still is incapable of indigenous innovation in no area whatsoever.

Not really.

Huawei (China) had the highest number of patent filings, with a total of 1737 applications in 2008. Ranking second through fifth were Panasonic (Japan), Philips Electronics NV (Netherlands), Toyota (Japan) and Robert Bosch GMBH (Germany).

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 10:23 AM
link   
China is only competing based on cheap products. But unfortunately, those are NOT quality products. Buy it once and you will never want to buy it again.

It is attempting to overcome its quality issues by buying over foreign companies and attracting foreign talents into China to solve the quality issues.

But unfortunately, its labour are cheap slaves who holds only menial wages that will make them 'not full in stomach or starve to death'. There is little to set aside for them, and as such, there is no incentive to be productive.

Today they will labour on slave wage, but soon, they will realize it cannot be this way, with the disparity between the rich and the poor gets wider. Many today will live to see the BREAK and collapse come, and it will be ugly.

The commies have no unions, are corrupted, and are rushing to create as much wealth as possible, for the country needs zillions to provide social spending for the 1.3 billion citizens, which would be impossible, compared to US est 300million citizens.

Furthermore, the world is wizening up to Commie China and its products. The warehouses in China are stocked full with not much buyers today compared to yesterday. Their properties and bank bubbles are about to burst. That title of largest exporter will not last long.

Only Protectionism and Unionization of workers will wealth be equally distributed, and productivity of quality goods rise, even for China slaves. Globalization is a zero sum game for the common masses, but a paradise for the minority rich.

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 10:50 AM
link   
One problem there is with China is they have very poor quality control. Many companies know to sell their products over seas, they need to have at least global standards of quality control. But to save money numerous companies in China cut corners, some times with very unpleasant effects.

Case in point the US got on China's case to get lead out of kitchen ware, and very importantly toys. Several companies in China "got the lead out", only to replace it with cadnium (spell?) which is worse. It's much more toxic. It's also cheap. The US government needs to let China know we won't accept products that are contaminated with toxic material. Any one who thinks that will happen raise your hand. I diden't see any one raise their hand...

Reading the lable won't help much. I don't think the products would say "warning, toxic. touch this and you and your kids might die" At the very least get very sick.

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 11:07 AM
link   
reply to post by eldard

Germany and China have been slugging it out over the past couple of years for the number one slot, the US is number three. This is a graph from 2008.

Source

Trade imbalances. Some countries, notably the United States and the United Kingdom, have significant trade deficits which are reflected in their balance of payments. The United States has reached a staggering trade imbalance, which accounted to more than $882 billion in 2008. This aspect is dominantly linked with service and technology-oriented economies that have experienced a relocation of labor-intensive production activities to lower costs locations.

They are highly dependent on the efficient distribution of goods and commodities. Conversely, countries having a positive trade balance tend to be export-oriented with a level of dependency on international markets. Germany, Japan, Canada and China are among the most notable examples. China has a positive trade balance, but most of this surplus concerns the United States. It maintains a negative trade balance with many of its partners, especially resources providers (e.g. Australia).

As far as Autos goes remember who is among the top selling brands in China.

GM sales in China surge 67 percent in 2009

General Motors sales in China surged 67 percent last year, the company announced Monday, as the automaker and its joint ventures exploited rising affluence there to sell more than 1.8 million cars and trucks.

GM, already among the most important auto manufacturers in China, said the market share of its Chinese ventures rose to 13.4 percent, up 1.3 percentage points from 2008. Leading the company's sales in China were Buicks, as well as inexpensive small vans and pickups.

GM exec: China likely to keep auto sales lead

Boosted by government stimulus programs, China's total vehicle sales soared 45 percent last year to an estimated 13.6 million, the China Passenger Car Association said. By contrast, U.S. sales of cars and light trucks plunged 21 percent in 2009 to 10.4 million as a shaky economy kept buyers away from showrooms.

[edit on 17-1-2010 by SLAYER69]

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 11:58 AM
link   
GM loves China. Steel and resources are at a 'steal', mined by slave workers from China and impoverised African nations which China robs in guise of 'aid' leaving their human and mineral resources unprotected.

The auto workers are mainly China slaves, the technology borrowed using american fuel guzzlers engine. It's design basic and quality slip shod unlike the Japanese engine evolution or European safety standards.

Parts replacement are constant, another factor loved by Globalist GM management. The rich do not buy their own products, only the masses do. You can safely say the China masses had been 'taken for a ride'. When they realize the truth, GM and their subsidiaries will be torn apart.

But does Globalist GM cares? Nope, they are in it only for a few quick years and it's adious China. The billions made and siphoned out of China, the masses can rot all they want.

This is the reality behind all those fanciful graphs and stats. Humanity is once again screwed, this time with the China masses by globalization.

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 12:04 PM
link   
reply to post by SeekerofTruth101

Chinese slaves?

Come on the new corporatist I mean the new communist look is wonderful. They are creating a workers paradise.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/73814dd7a611.jpg[/atsimg]
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/fcc73da299e7.jpg[/atsimg]
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/196232227f5d.jpg[/atsimg]
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/8e46c812bb33.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by SeekerofTruth101
China is only competing based on cheap products. But unfortunately, those are NOT quality products. Buy it once and you will never want to buy it again.

You do realize that Japan suffered the same thing early in its development stage after WWII, yes?

As for the bubble, they're reining it in: www.abovetopsecret.com... Never underestimate the Chinese when it comes to managing numbers.

As for quality: money.cnn.com...

I myself have several stuff that are made in China. They are of excellent quality. I'll buy them again.

top topics

join