It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Volcano watch 2010

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 03:51 AM
link   
I noticed that we have a quake watch thread ,but we lack a Volcano watch thread and i thought that we kinda need one

to keep track of the currently active and newly active volcanos .

volcanoes.usgs.gov...

hisz.rsoe.hu...

ill find more links later .

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 06:09 AM
link   
Hi,

Nice idea,an new info on the Congo eruption,havnt seen any new news on that one.

cheers

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Great idea, And I'm glad you started this for 2010, I think we are a few big things regarding volcanoes this year.

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Here is a few updates:

The Philippine Volcano Mount Mayon has finally been lowered,
Philippine volcano
And latest on the Congo
Democratic Republic of Congo

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by asala
Here is a few updates:

The Philippine Volcano Mount Mayon has finally been lowered,
Philippine volcano
And latest on the Congo
Democratic Republic of Congo

I am surprised the Philippine volcano hasn't blown, it was suppose to blow near Christmas, and just yesterday there was a magnitude 6 earthquake in the Philippines.

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 02:24 PM
link   
www.keyc.com...

Colombian Volcano Erupts

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 02:36 PM
link   
some more info for peeps:

www.iol.co.za...
Volcanic lava threatens DRC national park

www.postchronicle.com...
Alaska Volcano Rumbles Mount Redoubt Ready To Erupt?

edition.cnn.com...
Volcanic ash disrupts Puerto Rico flights

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 05:00 PM
link   
There used to be a sticky volcano thread every year but, for whatever reason, the last couple there hasn't been. Anyway, a page I check at least a couple times a week that I've found to be very informative is The Volcanism Blog. There are a lot of good links there to other resources as well.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 09:36 AM
link   
library.thinkquest.org...

www.geo.mtu.edu...

volcanoworld.wordpress.com...

as promised and more to come when i have the spare time to search.

[edit on 7/1/10 by alysha.angel]

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 10:13 AM
link   
volcanic activity in iceland

hisz.rsoe.hu...

posted on Feb, 18 2010 @ 07:53 PM
link   
reply to post by alysha.angel

Nice one Alysha. S & F

I was looking at this thread about Chaiten but thought I would post here to keep things in one place.

www.abovetopsecret.com...&flagit=544519

I looked at the Chaiten web cam www2.sernageomin.cl... earlier but it was rainy and the lens was very blurred. I returned to it later and it was nice and clear.

This was Chaiten at about 23:18 this evening
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/9ce486d4448e.jpg[/atsimg]

It got a bit darker and by 00:07
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/a22230a5f328.jpg[/atsimg]

This camera does not refresh regularly by the way. As it got really dark this was the shot at 21 mins past
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/a022cc87bf87.jpg[/atsimg]
Note the very small (gas) plume that is visible

2 minutes later the camera refreshed again:
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/f6eaada48295.jpg[/atsimg]

By now it is pretty much completely dark and the flame (?) looks bigger
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/a8feaeaec7d3.jpg[/atsimg]

Then for some reason there was a longer delay in the refresh and this was the screen - and still is....
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/8dfea051fac9.jpg[/atsimg]

Did someone put the fire out? Did the camera just stop working?

UPDATE: 03:30 UTC
Looks as if the camera started working, or alternatively the 'flame' had died and has just started up again.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/784b97494dcf.jpg[/atsimg]
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/4455674785c3.jpg[/atsimg]

[edit on 18/2/2010 by PuterMan]

posted on Feb, 18 2010 @ 08:05 PM
link   
Nice work OP, good idea

I like these 'keep an eye on things threads' very useful.

Here is a thread from Rising Against which acts as an index for these types of threads:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I thought it was a great idea.

[edit on 18-2-2010 by Chonx]

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 05:53 AM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

thanks Puterman for the input , i love it and hope that this thread will become an important one as well . cheers....

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 08:16 AM
link   
Chaiten has been showing the cam frozen at 09:08 all day so far

www2.sernageomin.cl...

Curious or what?

Update on that. It is now working again and showing thick cloud(?) and a wonderful shot of water droplets.

[edit on 19/2/2010 by PuterMan]

This is a subsequent edit. I am not going to post a picture, but go take a look at the cam and tell me what you think that might be. It loooks solid (white/grey). If you are on later and it has changed because of nightfall reply to this thread and I will post a picture of it as it is now @ 17:00 UTC.

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Here are some links for the volcano in the Congo, which actually strted errupting on the 2nd Jan 2010

CNN News 02 Jan 2010

Saltellite help for area

This is a good site to bookmark
Volcano News - John Search (Volcano Monitoring Program)

On that site you will find links to Volcanos in Chile and also to Volcanos of the Caribbean and loads of others. I might grab them all and stick them in a post.

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by PuterMan
Chaiten has been showing the cam frozen at 09:08 all day so far

www2.sernageomin.cl...

Curious or what?

Update on that. It is now working again and showing thick cloud(?) and a wonderful shot of water droplets.

This is a subsequent edit. I am not going to post a picture, but go take a look at the cam and tell me what you think that might be. It loooks solid (white/grey). If you are on later and it has changed because of nightfall reply to this thread and I will post a picture of it as it is now @ 17:00 UTC.

it looks to be very foggy with drew drops on the lense or a thick ash cloud . but my guess would be foggy.

[edit on 19/2/10 by alysha.angel]

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 12:30 PM
link   
reply to post by alysha.angel

I have never seen fog that looks as solid as that!

Very odd indeed. It must be that however as it has just updated and is showing signs of getting darker.

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 12:39 PM
link   

SOUFRIERE HILLS Montserrat 16.72°N, 62.18°W; summit elev. 915 m MVO reported that during 5-12 February activity from the Soufrière Hills lava dome increased significantly....

On 11 February part of the lava dome collapsed leaving a large collapse scar on the NE flank. Pyroclastic flows traveled NE and then, along with pyroclastic surges, across the sea at several places.......Pyroclastic flow deposits covered several hundred meters of the coastline.......also traveled NW into Tyers Ghaut and down the Belham valley as far a Cork Hill. An ash plume rose to an altitude of 15.2 km (50,000 ft) a.s.l. and drifted E and then SE. Ashfall occurred in NE Montserrat, SW Antigua (50 km NW), Guadeloupe (65 km SE), and Dominica (145 km SE).

Geologic Summary......Soufrière Hills volcano occupies the southern half of the island of Montserrat....series of lava domes emplaced along an ESE-trending zone......1-km-wide crater breached widely to the E, was formed during an eruption 4,000 years ago in which the summit collapsed, producing a large submarine avalanche. ...... Non-eruptive seismic swarms occurred at 30-year intervals in the 20th century, but with the exception of a 17th-century eruption that produced the Castle Peak lava dome, no historical eruptions were recorded on Montserrat until 1995. Long-term small-to-moderate ash eruptions beginning in that year were later accompanied by lava-dome growth and pyroclastic flows that forced evacuation of the southern half of the island and ultimately destroyed the capital city of Plymouth, causing major social and economic disruption.

Map

Map Sources: Montserrat Volcano Observatory (MVO), Agence France-Presse Soufrière Hills Information from the Global Volcanism Program

Original Source

The map also shows the locations / maps for other volcanos inclucding Chile. Note however that Chaiten is NOT counted as a major volcano. I have a feeling. Watch this space!

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Here's a cracker for you.

Smithsonian Institute Volcano KMZ file

Click on volcano layer placemark and it will download a KMZ file into Google Earth. All the volcanos! Brill.

Just been playing with it. This is a must have!!!!!

posted on Feb, 21 2010 @ 08:34 AM
link   
Chaiten cam back on line today. After two days of nothing today we see this:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/11b5fe5a34ac.jpg[/atsimg]

I am waiting to see what this looks in daylight.

BTW is there any one out there? Heeeeeeellllllllloooooooooo!!!

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join