It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My One Year At ATS!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 02:02 PM
link   
One Year At ATS!

Well first and foremost let's us all wish me a happy ATS Birthday! It's a couple of days late granted but I've been busy so I thought I would write this out today. The inspiration for this thread came from my good friend JaxonRoberts. He authored a similiar thread several months ago in which he described his first year, what he learned how things are different for him now and tips & tricks for new members.

Keeping with that topic allow us to begin.

I joined ATS at a very turbulent time. The election was in full swing, political discussion dominated the ATS boards along with a lot of other prized stories. I was also fortunate enough to join in a time where we had MANY contributing members who pumped out threads everyday. We've seen a decline of this in recent months, those of us who are use to what ATS membership use to provide, certainly hope this is just a passing fad and that we will pick up where we left off soon enough.

I have grown as a person after being schooled on many occasions my certain members. My knowledge base and investigative skills/research skills have grown exponentially after getting help from Mods and good friends about how to author threads and how to make them stand out from the crowd.

I learned to hold my tongue in situations where most would lash out. I learned how to use my tongue in the situations where keeping my mouth shut was simply impossible. Tact is a skill I cannot stress enough in this environment. New members take heed.

I learned that getting mad was a good thing, but posting while mad was a bad thing. I realized that the best of posts are those that are thought out and re-written and re-read a dozen times. They did NOT include attacks on the poster or the topic, they did NOT include rude comments or dismissive arguments, and they most certainly did NOT include me attempting to "one up" another poster my showing my knowledge of the topic at hand was better than theirs.

I say I have been schooled by members, but really I was educated. Nobody ever learns anything by being ridiculed and looked down upon. To new posters, this website is a treasure trove of knowledge. Some say it's run by the CIA, other's thing it's the most in depth discussion forum on the internet. My views align with the ladder.

Established members will sometimes say that tenure has no bearing on how you are treated here on ATS, I can say this is not true. I am guilty of looking at join dates before making up my mind about a posters comments on many occasions. It is wrong and we should look to remove this sort of thinking when discussing topics at hand. Let's be realistic, this is the internet and we have no way of knowing how intelligent or how comprehensive one's knowledge base is on any given topic simply because of when they joined the conversation.

I'd like to thank a few members for keeping me on my toes and really giving this place a sense of community. SpartanKingLeonidas, Zazzafrazz, Shrodingers Dog (Spelling?) Gaotuo, JaxonRoberts, TheMythLives, ModernAcademia (For our ongoing shameless plug war
),RavenShadow,Stormdancer77, BenevolentHeretic, Slayer69, Masqua, AshleyD (For all the wonderful avatars) and many others.

In closing I would like to also thank the staff for making ATS possible. Some like to complain about what ATS has become and mind you I have certain quams with the site, however I realize that it is the ONLY place that is built this way and caters exactly to my discussion needs on a variety of topics.

New members, feel free to reach out to some of the older members, most of them may seem busy or too long standing to give a damn, but honestly they want to help you as much as you want help with things. Don't rely on the staff so much. A lot of your questions can be answered by most of the members here, mods or not.

Here's to one year, and hopefully many more!

~Keeper

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 02:07 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Congratulations on your 1st ATS Birthday ... may there be many more.

Woody

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Congratulations on your first year anniversary..!

I would tend to agree with you that ATS has proven to be a great tool in getting an education in subject matters not readily seen elsewhere. I know it's just one of the many reasons why I'm glad to be a member of this forum.

I hope that you have many more years of enjoyment and revel in the wealth of knowledge shared by our diversified members.

Cheers!

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 02:20 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnnyAnonymous

I am very happy to have the one and only JohnyAnonymous come to one of my threads, thank you for your comments and please keep up the work with the news casts, they are truly something else.

And I agree, it is the diverse membership that keeps me coming back. The stories I can read anywhere else, however there is no other place where I can discuss these things and find out what is propaganda and what is fact by following a 200 page discussion on virtually EVERY conspiracy theory which has affected our history.

~Keeper

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 02:25 PM
link   
I like

I learned that getting mad was a good thing, but posting while mad was a bad thing.

I dislike

shrodingers dog

Its spelled with a c.

Anyway, great post

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 02:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

chrodingers dog?

We're glad to have you here, tothetenthpower. May your tenure be long and enjoyable.

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 02:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

Damn, I knew I spelled it wrong lol

Ohh well, I"m sure he'll come in to correct me at some point

~Keeper

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Congrats, TTT!

I can't believe you've only been here for a year. It feels like you've been here for ages!

*hugs*

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by ravenshadow13

Thanks Raven, you always are a gem to talk to. I hope your studies are going well, and it does feel like I've been here for ages, thanks to members like you

~Keeper

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Happy Berfffday ATS dad!

You are a even tempered, kind and open guy.

Your also a outrageous flirt! j/k

Now i dont just say this cause we're related, but you your threads and posts tend be on of the few worth reading, sigh~ but I still get sucked in everywhere!

Big Hug to a beautiful and nurturing human being and thank you for contributing to this commmunity as you do.

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 05:18 PM
link   
What have you done to my good name ... oh the schrecklichkeit!

Congrats on a terrific first year tttp ... you're surely one of the good ones.

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
One Year At ATS!

Yeah?

So what!

I've been here almost five years.

Just kidding, Happy ATS Birthday to tothetenthpower, Happy ATS Birthday...

Well first and foremost let's us all wish me a happy ATS Birthday! It's a couple of days late granted but I've been busy so I thought I would write this out today. The inspiration for this thread came from my good friend JaxonRoberts. He authored a similiar thread several months ago in which he described his first year, what he learned how things are different for him now and tips & tricks for new members.

Yeah, I already did that, and I believe I did that with JaxonRoberts too.

All kidding aside, I'm glad to know you here on the boards, sorry for making you think.

Nah, you make me think daily, and I appreciate the camarderie, friendship, and fellowship.

Your threads are always top notch, and as well your fiction stories are too.

Yes, I read them, no, I have not had time to post in reply.

Wait, what the Hell?

I joined ATS at a very turbulent time. The election was in full swing, political discussion dominated the ATS boards along with a lot of other prized stories. I was also fortunate enough to join in a time where we had MANY contributing members who pumped out threads everyday. We've seen a decline of this in recent months, those of us who are use to what ATS membership use to provide, certainly hope this is just a passing fad and that we will pick up where we left off soon enough.

Want a cookie?

I miss PTS, Politics Top Secret, and some of the awesome threads that were pumping out there, and as well the Slug Fest Forum, picking a political fight is fun, kind of like I'm picking a fight with you, right now.

Yes, there has been a decline in the last few years of top quality contributing members, but we have seen some quality members come in to replace them.

Like you.

I have grown as a person after being schooled on many occasions my certain members. My knowledge base and investigative skills/research skills have grown exponentially after getting help from Mods and good friends about how to author threads and how to make them stand out from the crowd.

Yeah, I've seen that as well, you're someone who has taught me a lot.

The Mods rock, kick butt, and take no whiners, I mean prisoners.

I learned to hold my tongue in situations where most would lash out. I learned how to use my tongue in the situations where keeping my mouth shut was simply impossible. Tact is a skill I cannot stress enough in this environment. New members take heed.

Tact, is something people need, no matter whether online or offline, because a situation can turn bad, real fast.

I learned that getting mad was a good thing, but posting while mad was a bad thing. I realized that the best of posts are those that are thought out and re-written and re-read a dozen times. They did NOT include attacks on the poster or the topic, they did NOT include rude comments or dismissive arguments, and they most certainly did NOT include me attempting to "one up" another poster my showing my knowledge of the topic at hand was better than theirs.

Yes, I agree wholeheartedly, and for some reason people are mistakenly thinking I'm posting while mad, lately, which is absurd.

I quantify and qualify my statements, using debating skills, through content, context, and intent, and I've noticed you do as well.

Good job!

I say I have been schooled by members, but really I was educated. Nobody ever learns anything by being ridiculed and looked down upon. To new posters, this website is a treasure trove of knowledge. Some say it's run by the CIA, other's thing it's the most in depth discussion forum on the internet. My views align with the ladder.

Education is the key when posting, learn from people, even if you disagree with them.

You and I have disagreed, but never have we fought, except me picking at you here, which was all done in humor.

Wait, what was that?

C.I.A., Christians In Action, Criminals In Angst, Collusive Insolvent Agents?

Well, THAT explains the van parked outside, sitting there with tinted windows.

Damn you SO, Springer, and Crakeur!

And here I am watching "Rendition"!

Established members will sometimes say that tenure has no bearing on how you are treated here on ATS, I can say this is not true. I am guilty of looking at join dates before making up my mind about a posters comments on many occasions. It is wrong and we should look to remove this sort of thinking when discussing topics at hand. Let's be realistic, this is the internet and we have no way of knowing how intelligent or how comprehensive one's knowledge base is on any given topic simply because of when they joined the conversation.

I agree with you about that, because people have mistaken me for older than I am, younger than I am, all based on what I post, my member registration, my avatar, you name it, and while I try not to do it, I usually do not do it, unless I come under attack by someone newer (I remember a recent incident).

People often mistake content, context, and intent because of this being a virtual envionment, due to the loss of actual physical interaction, and the written (typed) word seen on a screen never shows you the voice inflection, attenuation, or rise and lowering and timbre of someone's voice.

I have been online now for just over twenty years, since AOL was $3.50 and hour, and I've learned how to do what handwriting analysts do through Graphology, within the many avenues of the online environment.

I'd like to thank a few members for keeping me on my toes and really giving this place a sense of community. SpartanKingLeonidas, Zazzafrazz, Shrodingers Dog (Spelling?) Gaotuo, JaxonRoberts, TheMythLives, ModernAcademia (For our ongoing shameless plug war
),RavenShadow,Stormdancer77, BenevolentHeretic, Slayer69, Masqua, AshleyD (For all the wonderful avatars) and many others.

Yep, all good members, except for that stinker SpartanKingLeonidas, oh wait, that's me, and that weird guy, SLAYER69 (waits with helmet for the hand grenade).

I have not seen nor heard from TheMythLives in quite some time, hope he's okay.

YAY zazzafrazzles, BH, RS, and AshleyD!

In closing I would like to also thank the staff for making ATS possible. Some like to complain about what ATS has become and mind you I have certain quams with the site, however I realize that it is the ONLY place that is built this way and caters exactly to my discussion needs on a variety of topics.

Yeah, yeah, yeah.

Now where's my cookie, damn it?

New members, feel free to reach out to some of the older members, most of them may seem busy or too long standing to give a damn, but honestly they want to help you as much as you want help with things. Don't rely on the staff so much. A lot of your questions can be answered by most of the members here, mods or not.

Yes, please do.

I never have an issue with pointing someone in the right direction.

The Mod's do a lot but senior members know things too.

Stop by and I'll help anytime (shameless plug).

Making High-Quality Threads : Ask and I'll Point You In The Right Direction

~Keeper

No, here's to as many years as possible until we both go dingbat crazy from proving Government conspiracies, cover-ups, crimes, and collusion!!!

[edit on 29-12-2009 by SpartanKingLeonidas]

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 06:02 PM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

It was the gnome I swear!

Thanks SD, you are a fine person to talk with and look forward to you contributing more threads

~Keeper

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 11:14 PM
link   

Happy 1 Year Birthday!

So tell me B-Day Boy, how is it that one could accurately judge someone based on their joining date? You put it in terms of it being a "way of knowing how intelligent or how comprehensive one's knowledge base is on any given topic"... noting that ATS is one of hundreds of conspiracy based forums on the internet, could it be that people who travel in these intellectual circles could be members of more then one site or be avid readers of the genre elsewhere, and therefore be up to par in the conversation?

This notion reminds me of a current thread requesting for member's ages to be revealed www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Oct, 21 2023 @ 08:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: tothetenthpower
One Year At ATS!

~Keeper

Yes , Cheers.................

Memories were so Beautiful and then...........................(

posted on Oct, 21 2023 @ 08:21 PM
link   
Interesting anniversary, huh?

posted on Oct, 21 2023 @ 08:24 PM
link   
a reply to: SimulationEvidence

When All that Life gives you are just Lemons , you just gotta make Lemonade........

new topics

top topics

join