It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Seeing Family for the Holidays? Scientists Discover How the Stress Might Kill You

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Seeing Family for the Holidays? Scientists Discover How the Stress Might Kill You

www.sciencedaily.com

ScienceDaily (Dec. 28, 2009) — If you ever thought the stress of seeing your extended family over the holidays was slowly killing you -- bad news: a new research report in the December 2009 print issue of the Journal of Leukocyte Biology shows that you might be right. Here's the good news: results from the same study might lead to entirely new treatments that help keep autoimmune diseases like lupus, arthritis, and eczema under control.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Sorry, mods if it's in the wrong forum, was news, so i figured it should go here.

it'll probably fall under the "only something i find interesting" category, but interesting.

Scientists in Connecticut have found out that T-cells are controlled by the nervous system, and if you are apathetic, it will negatively affect your immune system, but keep autoimmune diseases, like multiple sclerosis, from developing. (?)

www.sciencedaily.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 28-12-2009 by LocoHombre]

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 09:58 PM
link   
Something else to ponder... Holiday Heart Attacks

For many years, researchers have been intrigued by a disturbing pattern: Deadly heart attacks increase during the winter holiday season. One study even found distinct spikes around Christmas and New Year’s Day.

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 10:01 PM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

Oh, that's a happy thought, especially considering the fact that i come from afamily with a history of heart disease.

[edit on 28-12-2009 by LocoHombre]

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 10:31 PM
link   
reply to post by LocoHombre

I just finished up 5 days with my inlaws and I feel lucky to be alive.

also there is this.........

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 10:44 PM
link   
I've found that the holidays are more about resentment and "look what i can buy" than anything else...atleast i can say that about THIS country...can't say so much for anywhere else since i've never lived there.

Between Dec 23rd and Dec 27th - i can't begin to count the # of miles i logged traveling from place to place...all because everyone "insisted" that my wife and i show up.

Didn't have any fun at any of our stops, had more stress driving in the hideous onslaught of snow (midwest got its fair share recently)

i mean...the holiday's suck man. Especially Christmas. Macy's and Sears have turned us into 4 a.m. "sleep out in a tent the night before" idiots.

In a country where people will literally trample a fellow human being so that they can get the latest thing-a-ma-jig that plugs into the wall and makes a whirring noise...its not a wonder that several other countries point and laugh at our larger-than-necessary behinds and over zealous religious beliefs.

on top of all of that, there are so many people on the raod who drive like they've never been in a car before. Omg i feel my blood pressure beginning to rise just reliving it.

This country sucks so bad when Holidays come around.

And for that reason alone, we have made the solemn vow to never travel for Christmas again. Any relatives who care enough can come see US for a god damned change.

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 10:48 PM
link   
LOL! I love my family, but everyone was here for the holidays - 10 days of company. After Christmas Day I went into a 36 hour sleep coma - just couldn't wake up. I certainly believe that there are more stress related deaths during this time. One look at the obituary page(s) can tell you that.

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 10:38 AM
link   
No surprising at all. The holidays stress me out in a major way, mostly due to the fact I have about 5 hours of driving time in one day trying to see everyone. And if I can't make it somewhere, I get a guilt trip from heck. On Thanksgiving my husband and I decided to boycott everyone instead of driving between 4 different cities. It was SO PEACEFUL.

We tried to repeat that for Christmas and my father (who lives about 1 hour and 15 minutes north of us) and my mother (who lives about an hour east of us) ripped me a new one. Then my mother in law who lives about an hour west of us gave my husband a guilt trip from hell. Then my father was upset with me because I wouldn't spend Christmas Eve night at his home. I couldn't- I'm a mother and have to be at my own house for Christmas morning.

The last two years have been very stressful and I even broke down crying at my mother's house last year due to all the stress, pressure, and people. It's insane. My husband is a grandfather and our home is now our base. There is no reason we should be driving to see everyone but my parents still think I should pop out of my bedroom on Christmas morning in pigtails and my nightgown like when I was 10. It wouldn't be so bad if we all lived 15 minutes away from each other but when everyone lives in different cities, in all opposite directions, it really takes a toll.

new topics

top topics

join