It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Unclaimed corpses an On-going trend / Detroit Poverty Rate @ 33.8%

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 01:28 PM
link   
The more that this unemployment increases along with the poverty level... more and more people are going to get anxious and angry. We are getting to be more and more like a third world country where we can no longer financially care for our lost loved ones because we have to worry about the cost of living... With no money coming in... we can now barely afford paying for power, gas, sewer, water, etc...

The question is... How is our Government going to help us out of this situation that is getting worse by the day?

People are being encouraged to shoplift... provide for their family so they can barely survive... and what we see on the news is more stories about Tiger Woods affairs. This is a complete Global Meltdown that is going to end badly unfortunately.

I'm currently employed by a company that just lost their contract. I am now looking at joining the unemployed ranks here shortly. I have put out at least 50 resume's with no call-backs so far. Hopefully, something comes along soon. I currently have a salary of well over 60k a year and will now settle for a minimum wage job.

Let's here some of your thoughts on this matter... any and all... good or bad!

Source: AP

Times are tough for the living in Detroit and unforgiving for dozens - like McNeil, Webber and Jones - dying alone and poor in the economically distressed city. Taxpayers increasingly are paying to dispose of unclaimed bodies in cities and towns throughout the U.S., but the problem appears more acute in Detroit, where nearly a third of working adults are without a job and the poverty rate has reached 33.8 percent.

About 3,700 corpses each year are wheeled into the medical examiner's office on Detroit's east side. Samuels said between 50 and 60 of the corpses now being stored are unclaimed, about double of any time in 2008. Since the fiscal year starting Oct. 1, the morgue has disposed of 27 unclaimed bodies.

Detroit isn't alone in the problem. In Milwaukee County, Wis., the medical examiner's office waived $93,210 in fees for indigent burials in 2008 and is on track to waive $120,000 in fees this year, operations manager Karen Domagalski said. "When we do find family and they are refusing to make burial arrangements, the answer is always that they do not have the money," she said.

[edit on 12/22/2009 by x2Strongx]

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 02:08 PM
link   
reply to post by x2Strongx

I'm currently employed by a company that just lost their contract. I am now looking at joining the unemployed ranks here shortly. I have put out at least 50 resume's with no call-backs so far. Hopefully, something comes along soon. I currently have a salary of well over 60k a year and will now settle for a minimum wage job.

Just a few things here...

The situation is variable depending on your location and occupation. If you foresee a long term period of non (or under) employment, you may consider returning to school and getting some training in another field. Grants are available for those who suffer financial hardships.

You may think about relocating to a region where the employment figures are better. I know locally that there is no housing slump as BRAC has chosen my area for expansion at a nearby military base. There's also a new automobile plant nearby that is hiring like crazy.

Best of luck

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Yeah... I'm currently looking at all my options right now. Looking to see what would be best in a long term situation. I guess I should have listened to my Mom when I was younger and became a doctor... LOL

Oh well... I'll just roll with the punches like I usually do.

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by x2Strongx
I'm currently employed by a company that just lost their contract. I am now looking at joining the unemployed ranks here shortly. I currently have a salary of well over 60k a year and will now settle for a minimum wage job.

Let's here some of your thoughts on this matter... any and all... good or bad!

If I've heard this once, I've heard this LIE a thousand times before.
The fundamental problem is this...

- People on 60k who are facing loosing their jobs actually DO NOT want advice.

They ONLY want...

a. To be told that, yes, it is true, their is no hope.
b. To be given a shoulder to cry on.
c. A fat slab of dough from the Government who is supposed to act like Santa.

There are ACTUALLY a list of things that people SHOULD be doing, but NO-ONE is ever prepared to take advice. They just become IGNORANT, RESENTFULLY and demand that the Moderators kick them off rather than being prepared to listen to truth, even though they are taking a wrecking ball to their own and their kids lives as well.

Ironic, as in the current market, it's the one person who listens can become worth millions in today's market.

As I am a Christian, I shall tell you my advice, although I know that it will result in nothing but scorn, insults and vergeful spite from the OP for telling the truth he needs to hear.

POINT ONE

I have put out at least 50 resume's with no call-backs so far.

HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA,! That's just so funny to read. In the UK, the average Joe meed to send out some 200, resumes in the 1970's, some 500 resumes in the 1980's and several thousand resumes in the 1990's. Now thte situation is spreading to the USA. 50 is a derisory number. Hang you head in shame!

POINT TWO

Hopefully, something comes along soon.

Worst possible approach. You are allowing events to drive you not the other way around. Wating for Santa to drop by with a job offer is crass stupid. It will result in all your savings and ability to manoevre to be wiped out for a BIG FAT NOTHING. It condemns you to catastrophy.

POINT THREE

I currently have a salary of well over 60k a year and will now settle for a minimum wage job.

And just why should McDonalds settled for an employee who thinks of their job as a dull and garbage one? Arrogance will get you NOWHERE!

POINT FOUR

Your life is no different to a company. Its all a question of PROFIT, LOSS and EFFICIENCY.

As Mr McAuber famously said, income 19 shillings, Expenditure 21 shillings, misery; INcome 21 shillings, Expenditure 19 shillings, BLISS

You need URGENTLY to take a knife to the sacred cows...

- Sell the second car.
- Dump the cable TV.
- Ditch the book club memberships and the subscriptions to magazines that do not contain loads of useful job opportunities
- Cancel your holiday unless you can combine it up with looking to a move to a better place for employment.
- No more ice cream
- Goodbye packaged food. In future, its time your wife got off her backside and started baking bread with flour instead of buying costly loaves of bread from the Supermarket.
- If your company can make you redundant, why should you not do the same with your family? Tell the kids they're getting a pay cut in their allowances.

BUT make any private education for your kids the last to go.

POINT FIVE

Liquidate ruthlessly to pay off your debts, particularly your mortgage. The sofa in the spare room, the second TV set, the unwanted toys, that unwanted wedding gift Auntie Maude gave you, stick it all on Ebay AND list it internationally. Sweep your home of all unwanted clutter, and schedule it all, BUT NOT as a job lot. You could have something of great value without knowing it. For instance, up in Quebec, Chinese made goods are LOATHED and there has been a huge backlash against them - that tatty old travel bag made in Kentucky could just be worth $10.

POINT SIX

Look to other ways to finance your household...

1. Never walk past unwanted money. If you see a nickel in the street, pick it up.
2. Check out fruit trees and bushes beside the road in parks etc. Maybe you could ask permission from a neighbour to pick his apple tree in exchange for some of the apples - you can always use the excuse that you don't want your family eating GMO stuff from supermarkets.
3. Never walk past an old Coke Cola can in the street, hand it in for the 5 cents.
4. Go by bus in safe places.
5. Don't carry too much cash on you so you don't loose too much if someone robs you.
6. In ANY AND EVERY STORE IN TOWN, always tell the salesman, nice item, but I never, never pay listed price. So what;s the price to me? And when he answers, then ask, OK, but how much if I pay cash? You'll be surprised at how even upmarket stores will come down.

POINT SEVEN

Consider other way of gaining income:-

1. Working in the evenings as, say, a security guard, delivering newspapers, working in a restaurant or bar.
2. Consider the supervaluable asset that you are sitting on... your current experience. Keep a diary. The "Grapes Of Wrath" of the 2000's is still to be written. Download or buy a copy of FINAL DRAFT, get a book on screenwriting and write a screenplay. Send it into contests that give feedback one at a time. Take note of their criticisms no matter how hard it is and upgrade it and just keep sending it in. Once it starts winning, maybe you might be able to sell it or option it for this month's mortgage. Remember, some of the greatest literary works in American history came from poverty, including "The Wizard Of Oz"
3. Get yourself an Ebay account, look at what you are good at and look for low ticket bargains that you can resell. A friend of mine cleared his mortgage in a a couple of years trading in computer disk drives.

POINT EIGHT

Consider emigrating. Remember, Canada's economy is absolutely rocking comparatively. And don't waste time with the official Canadian Immigration system, there is a perfectly legal back door route. Quebec has an entirely separate immigration system that is very friendly. All you have to do is speak absolutely fluent French, so gets some french tapes and get learning. And no need to sel your house at a loss if you did, just rent it out.

[edit on 22-12-2009 by aristocrat2]

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Yeah... I'm currently looking at all my options right now.

...Err, no, patently, you are definitely NOT CURRENTLY LOOKING AT YOUR OPTIONS, ONLY AT TTHE KNEE-JERK OBVIOUS.

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 04:25 PM
link   
reply to post by aristocrat2

I appreciate your comments however I didn't mention my situation to get pity or advice. I mentioned to show the reality of the situation.

They ONLY want...
a. To be told that, yes, it is true, their is no hope.
b. To be given a shoulder to cry on.
c. A fat slab of dough from the Government who is supposed to act like Santa.

a. There is always hope. I will end up on my feet because I have a drive to succeed. I have managed to make the amount that I do yearly simply from experience... Not by education. I am a hard worker and don't require handouts and willing to work to achieve any goal.
b. Never needed a shoulder to cry on... not really sure where your getting that from my OP.
c. Never received unemployment, welfare etc... Not really sure how you got that from my OP.

There are ACTUALLY a list of things that people SHOULD be doing, but NO-ONE is ever prepared to take advice. They just become IGNORANT, RESENTFULLY and demand that the Moderators kick them off rather than being prepared to listen to truth, even though they are taking a wrecking ball to their own and their kids lives as well.

Never had any problems from moderators on here. Actually, I got an applause for the post. Always willing to listen whether I like what is said or not. Hell, I'm listening to you aren't I?

HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA,! That's just so funny to read. In the UK, the average Joe meed to send out some 200, resumes in the 1970's, some 500 resumes in the 1980's and several thousand resumes in the 1990's. Now thte situation is spreading to the USA. 50 is a derisory number. Hang you head in shame!

Since, I only find out that the contract was ending today... I guess 50 isn't to bad huh... For a Christian, MHO I think you failed at trolling here!

Worst possible approach. You are allowing events to drive you not the other way around. Wating for Santa to drop by with a job offer is crass stupid. It will result in all your savings and ability to manoevre to be wiped out for a BIG FAT NOTHING. It condemns you to catastrophy.

Appreciate your positivity there! Woohoo

Luckily, I don't have any debts except for the house and have a retirement coming in from the Military. Apparently, you missed the point of my post. It was about unclaimed bodies in the morgue. I guess you decided to focus on the other part of my OP to make this a personal attack.

Your life is no different to a company. Its all a question of PROFIT, LOSS and EFFICIENCY.

I am well aware of that... I have been part of the corporate world for over 20 years... How about you?

Liquidate ruthlessly to pay off your debts, particularly your mortgage. The sofa in the spare room, the second TV set, the unwanted toys, that unwanted wedding gift Auntie Maude gave you, stick it all on Ebay AND list it internationally. Sweep your home of all unwanted clutter, and schedule it all, BUT NOT as a job lot. You could have something of great value without knowing it. For instance, up in Quebec, Chinese made goods are LOATHED and there has been a huge backlash against them - that tatty old travel bag made in Kentucky could just be worth $10.

Finally, some halfway decent advise. I think you should have started off with this and stuck with this subject matter. It may have been a little more productive.

Actually from that point on your made some really good points that more people need to follow.

Regardless of whether I take your advice or not... I appreciate your input to this thread.

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 04:28 PM
link   
reply to post by aristocrat2

Now see... You ended your first post with good advice... and now you ruin it with this post.

Try to make an attempt to get to know the person your talking about... before making any accusations.

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 04:05 PM
link   

The question is... How is our Government going to help us out of this situation that is getting worse by the day?

By getting the hell out of our way.

In 1921 there was a massive market correction, otherwise known as a depression.

By the following year, the federal government had reduced itself by half.

We don't ever hear about the depression of 21 because the proper course of action was taken by government, getting the hell out of the way. By the end of 22 the correction was over by 23 the recovery was complete.

Right now we have massive taxation, a massive welfare state, massive corporate looting through government contracts and mandates, ridiculous regulations preventing competition and hindering start-ups, etc.. etc.. etc..

The government has intentionally created a situation where the market is now non-functioning.

Only when the government is removed from the equation will people get back to work. This includes removing the private federal reserve from having control over interest rates and the money supply. The money supply must be fixed to a commodity such as gold and sliver in order to constrain the massive mis allocation of resources that occurs through government debt inflation and the interest rates must be set by the market in order for long term resource allocation to be maximized.

So the short answer is, we will never have an economic recovery.

Ever.

This nation is toast.

[edit on 24-12-2009 by mnemeth1]

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Times are tough for the living in Detroit and unforgiving for dozens - like McNeil, Webber and Jones - dying alone and poor in the economically distressed city. Taxpayers increasingly are paying to dispose of unclaimed bodies in cities and towns throughout the U.S., but the problem appears more acute in Detroit, where nearly a third of working adults are without a job and the poverty rate has reached 33.8 percent.

About 3,700 corpses each year are wheeled into the medical examiner's office on Detroit's east side. Samuels said between 50 and 60 of the corpses now being stored are unclaimed, about double of any time in 2008. Since the fiscal year starting Oct. 1, the morgue has disposed of 27 unclaimed bodies.

What a stupid government.

I can't believe citizens actually pay people to sit around and be stupid.

They already have a solution. It's called incineration.

Just throw the bodies into the fires that are set every halloween in Detroit. The fighfighting budget could probably be trimmed a little as well if the firefighters just keep the funneral piles from spreading to neighboring buildings instead of putting out the fires.

Hell just cut the fireworks budget for the fourth of july as well, move the holiday to halloween night by official decree and gather the good citizens of detroit around to celebrate and watch the fires.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/5f6c5f01eeb1.jpg[/atsimg]

[edit on 24-12-2009 by In nothing we trust]

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 04:23 PM
link   
reply to post by x2Strongx

I have been exactly in the same position as you. A number of times in fact. Over a period of time during the merger craze of the 1980s, I held a number of jobs (all very senior technical or upper management) , each of which vanished when the company I was working for was suddenly "acquired and liquidated." After the last one, I too sent out hundreds of resumes. Many of them ended up in interviews that often concluded with me being told that while my credentials were impeccable, I was too "experienced" for the positions (i.e. I was too old).

In my last interview in which I was told that I was "too experienced" I asked who was doing the particular job functions related to the position I was interviewing for. After being intially rebuffed, I pressed the issue and finally wound up speaking to a vice president to admitted that there was starting to be a backlog because there was no one who could do the sort of work any more in the company. I offered to do the work for a fixed price as a vendor insead of as an employee. I left that afternoon with a signed contract.

What i have learned is that there is lots of work out there, but no jobs. Companies are willing to pay to have work done but baulk at the responsibilities and costs of hiring an employee. I've never looked back.

After meeting many other people in the same position and hearing similar stories to mine, I have decided that most people stop looking for work when they can't find a job.

Don't give up my friend, just open your eyes to the other possibilities that are out there. As layoffs happen, work goes undone. Thre is your opportunity.

Best of luck!

new topics

top topics

join