It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Sound wave" from Ocean Shakes San Diego Town

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 11:36 AM
link   
www.nbcsandiego.com...

From the North County to the South Bay, people reported hearing and feeling a big "boom" around 4:20 p.m. Monday. San Diego firefighters received a number of calls, including one from their own Clairemont fire station, reporting the loud sound. Users of NBCSanDiego sent in e-mails from Clairemont to Vista to Eastlake, reporting not only hearing what they described as a loud boom but also feeling it. "It made the windows shudder," wrote Geoff Hurley of Eastlake. "It sounded like two booms with a few seconds in between each." Cathy and Lee Smith of Simpson's Nursery wrote, "We just felt what could be described as a huge sonic boom or like an earthquake without the ground shaking in Jamul. Our house & windows shook enough to make me run outside!" There were no reports of earthquake activity around that time according to the most recent data from the U.S. Geological Survey website.
reply to post by Hack28

I heard it, thought it might be thunder at first, then rejected that with a quick look out the window. Thought it might be an earthquake, but it didn't feel like one or really sound like one either. It lasted for some length of time, a bit longer than either thunder or an earthquake usually lasts. I'm very familiar with aircraft and jet engines and it was not even close to being mistaken for that, either. There was an odd quality to the sound that I can't quite put my finger on.

Very odd.

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by ROBL240
I think the most likely explanation is fighter jets out at Sea on Sortee's or simply doing training, and the Sonic boom reverberated from a Inversion Layer and tjis carried it further towards the coast than it usually would do on normal days.

But how would a sonic boom from breaking the sound barrier shake houses 120 miles away? To the point where fireman where moving trucks out of the firehalls. Ive seen footage of sonic booms and there is no way it could have possibly shoken a town, not possible.

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 11:40 AM
link   
reply to post by apacheman

Annd youve quickly become the most important person here (no offence other
)

Could you tell that it was originating from the ocean?
Was it like a Booom and that was it or more like a growing rumble and dissipate gradually?
Tell us a story as we gather round.

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by souls

okay coolest photo ever!!!
I would be so mesmerized i wouldnt do any work if i lived where you do. I failed grade 12 math because they were building a new wing on the hospital and the crane was outside the window, most distarcting thing in the world. So to see helicopters and boats from the future id loose my mind.
I had no idea so much military happened around there, seems to point the logic finger towards a military excercise of some sort. Orrr the fantaistical side of where better to meet or be heard than by a big military area?

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 11:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Hack28

farshores.org...

Scientists said the spot where the rattling boom originated is in the general vicinity of Warning Area 291, a huge swath of ocean used for military training exercises. The Navy operates a live-fire range on San Clemente Island, which is within Warning Area 291 and sits about 65 miles from Mission Bay. But Steve Fiebing, a Coronado-based Navy representative, said the live-fire range on San Clemente Island was inactive April 4. He also said there was no Navy or Marine Corps flight activity in Warning Area 291 on that day that would have caused a sonic boom or a countywide tremor. Peter Shearer, a Scripps professor involved in the research, has no idea whether the disturbance was natural or made by humans. "I would guess it's either an explosion that somebody hasn't told us about or it could have been a meteor coming into the atmosphere," Shearer said.

Hmmm, that must be the odd quality I mentioned: it was off-frequency. I've lived here a long time and am quite familiar with the characteristics of the sounds generated by thunder, earthquakes, jets, and all the other sounds produced here. I live in a kind of 3/4s cup in the foothills of the east county area. I pay pretty close attention to the environment, and ever since the days of detecting incoming rockets by the pressure wave preceding them, I pay attention to such things subconsciously.

The boom was not within the normal frequencies generated by known phenomena. My guess is meteor, since it was too long to be an explosion, and had perhaps three or four seperate sound events. I've heard a lot of explosions up close and personal; this wasn't a bomb or known military type detonation.

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 12:00 PM
link   
reply to post by apacheman

Im glad we have a "witness" (quotations because it was heard not seen). I find it troubling that the gentleman said it was either:
a) a bomb they did not know about
or
b) a meteor

Well if people are somehow able to be blowing up bombs that shake towns without the military knowing weve got a much bigger problem than a sonic boom.
As for a meteor wouldnt that be pretty easy to find out? Show up on the large amount of radars im asusming the military base on the coast has? Unless its above their "site" lines? But meteor if 120 miles away would still cause some sort of light display as it reacted with our atmosphere and noone is reporting such a thing.

Apache your educated guess what could it be?

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Odd
At approx.1PM Monday outside of the Tucson area we experienced a large what we would call a blast from mine operation.
But the mine is not running and blast was too larger for normal mine activity.
It shook the ground and the whole house rattled.
And have not heard from anyone or news what it might have been.

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gmoneycricket
Odd
At approx.1PM Monday outside of the Tucson area we experienced a large what we would call a blast from mine operation.
But the mine is not running and blast was too larger for normal mine activity.
It shook the ground and the whole house rattled.
And have not heard from anyone or news what it might have been.

Seriously? sorry my geo on Tuscan is not up to snuff is that near the ocean?
Since your familiar with explosives being near the mine and all would your educated guess be that it came from a good distance away? did it sound like an explosion only on a bigger scale? Just curious as to more of your thoughts on it.

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 12:11 PM
link   
reply to post by souls

That ship you have pictured called the Sea Shadow,has been tied up at the inactive fleet storage area

In Northern California near Suisin City for many years.

I am not sure what you have been seeing but it is not that.

You can see it anchored there in Google Earth even.

This is not the first time mystery sounds come from that area of the ocean.

Sea Shadow was revealed to the public in 1993, and was housed at the San Diego Naval Station until September 2006, when it was relocated with the HMB-1 to the Suisun Bay Reserve Fleet in Benicia, CA. The vessels are available for donation to a maritime museum.

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Its probably the military doing testing.
It was quite a big deal a year or so ago!

The United States Navy and the U.S. Department of Defense have decided that their Northwest Training Range Complex, in the State of Washington, should be expanded, and have devised a draft Environmental Impact Statement (EIS), dated December 2008, for public review and comment. The expansion of their area of operation will include all of the State of Washington, all of the State of Oregon, part of the state of Idaho, and Northern California. This area will also include large areas of the Pacific Ocean from California to the State of Washington

portland.indymedia.org...
Heres a statement from my thread on similar events in idaho.

HAARP heats up a section of sky and the cooling will create an inward collapse causing a great sound.

The environmentalists threw a fit because this testing harms animals such as whales.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 22-12-2009 by dodadoom]

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 12:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Hack28

We are having a lot of sonic booms also in the area,
that we can find in the news.

Last weeks Booms in news.
Was it an earthquake, mining activity or a sonic boom?

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gmoneycricket
reply to post by Hack28

We are having a lot of sonic booms also in the area,
that we can find in the news.

Last weeks Booms in news.
Was it an earthquake, mining activity or a sonic boom?

Heres a quote from that link
" Jane
I, along with others felt and heard a very lound and rumbling noise over the Tucson area. I am not convinced it was a sonic boom. I have been an air force brat for a number of years, and this did not sound like a sonic boom today. It was very rumbling instead. I have heard planes scramble on several occaisions in my life, and they were very harsh and sudden. I guess if I had to postulate, it could have been just outside our area, but I doubt it could have been from Phoenix. Very strange"

We have a few different people on here very familiar with Sonic Booms and they all say it was not that, the rumbling suggests something different.
Cricket what do you think it was?
Anyone else find it weird that within days of eachother towns are reporting being shook, and they are town that have military presence. Its the military presence that to me would make the civilian populous around these areas more versed to what they are hearing. If they say its odd and different i am inclined to take their word for it.
I dotn live anywher enear a base and if these sounds were heard nowehre near a base i would be more inclined to believ a sonic boom or aircraft. But being how familiar these people are with their surroundings it onyl confuses me more.

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 12:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Hack28

We are located between two military bases so I will go with sonic boom.
Mine blasts from 20 miles away do seem to roll over mountains this one felt like it was right here.

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Someone on another board found this:

fdsys.gpo.gov...

SUMMARY: The Coast Guard is establishing a safety zone on the navigable
waters of the Northwest Harbor of San Clemente Island in support of the
Naval Underwater Detonation. ...

DATES: This rule is effective in the CFR on December 1, 2009. This rule
is effective with actual notice for purposes of enforcement on December
1, 2009 through January 31, 2010

The Navy will be conducting intermittent training involving the
detonation of military grade explosives underwater throughout December
2009 and January 2010

"No military activity" indeed.

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Maybe it was an underwater volcano that exploded. Mount St Helens and Krakatoa could be heard from several hundred mile if I remember right. And since water is a good sound conductor, this could have been heard is San Diego.

Of course an explosion of this magnitude would have register on the seismograph, and even created a giant tsunami.

Or maybe Cthulhu just awaken...

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 01:02 PM
link   
reply to post by calcoastseeker

Well I would not know. I have seen a ship similar to this a few times on the harbor, I'm not sure if it is the same kind or the same one. They have other types of boats out there once in while, even some cool hover craft. Anyway, back to topic.

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Cool was waiting for the next thread to replace the sky spiral missile test thread bring on the speculation and the debunkers !!

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 01:08 PM
link   
I live just east but didn't hear anything, but the past few nights I've been having this wobbly feeling like my whole body is rocking with the earth. I thought I've been feeling earth quakes but there was none and my gf hasn't felt them.

A strange thing happened sunday, it might not be related but who knows. Two strangers just up and died at the same time while at the La Jolla shores, one a diver with her husband, they hadn't even begun the dive when she just up and died and plopped into the water. The other a random guy seemingly up and died and plopped into the water aswell, he was just found floating with his clothes on minutes after they the lady died. I thought it was strange.

www.sandiego6.com...

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Possible scenarios:

1....and after a few days Russians will admit to testing yet a new rocket...
2. Weather balloon
3. New jet plane breaking sound barrier over and over

Better accept that, or a hundred and seventy four "debunkers" ond duty will beat you into the submission with endless arguments ending with "move on, nothing to see here", written over and over again.

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Hack28

All I know for sure is what it wasn't.

I agree about the rumbling mentioned, but "rumbling" gives the wrong impression. As near as I can describe it is that there was a low-to-mid frequency variation within each sound event inconsistent with known phenoma, as I mentioned before.

A meteor would seem to be a traceable event and an undersea eruption would seem verifiable also. What would make the sea act like a sounding board?

Given what I know of sound mechanics, there must have been a pressure wave of some sort to generate the sound. For what it's worth, it seems to me that the originating impulse came from above, based on how the sound wave hit my house and reflected off the hills. So what might generate a compressive wave sufficient to make the boom?

It's just possible that it is connected to solar events. I mean it might be possible that a narrow energetic stream impacted the atmosphere above the ocean without having the physical coherency to show up on radar. My physics isn't strong enough to do more than speculate in that direction, however. But I'd have to list it as a possibility with a high degree of probability after eliminating other potential sources.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join