It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Major Incident in the Channel Tunnel?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2009 @ 05:45 PM
link   
Nothing on the newswires except a brief mention on MSNBC. However Twitter BNO is reporting that 3x Eurostar services are stuck in the middle of the Channel Tunnel, with authorities calling this a "very bad situation."

No word exactly WHAT the situation is yet, but im sure as more news comes out the MSM will start to pick up on the breaking news. As of now however im not going to speculate on what exactlys going on, as I dont know myself either.

posted on Dec, 18 2009 @ 06:09 PM
link   
nothing on bbc news 24 yet..

CX

posted on Dec, 18 2009 @ 06:17 PM
link   
Nothing on Sky either...

Thanks for the heads up though, this is what i like about ATS, we usualy get the news before everyone else.

CX.

posted on Dec, 18 2009 @ 06:19 PM
link   
news.bnonews.com...

small amount of info here. one to keep an eye on.

posted on Dec, 18 2009 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Eurostar is on strike. It started today.

posted on Dec, 18 2009 @ 06:22 PM
link   
Source

Looks like it is technical trouble because of weather.

2nd line.

posted on Dec, 18 2009 @ 06:23 PM
link   
reply to post by pizzanazi75

I guess the strike wasn't the cause.

posted on Dec, 18 2009 @ 06:23 PM
link   

"It's a very bad situation, to be honest," a Eurostar spokesman in London told BNO News just before midnight. Earlier on Friday evening, several trains became stuck inside the Channel Tunnel, which is an undersea rail tunnel linking the United Kingdom with France. "Because of the snow, we are having a lot of technical problems," the spokesman said.

"We are doing everything we can to get them to their destinations as soon as possible," the spokesman added, saying they will offer taxis and other forms of transportation. The spokesman said none of the passengers inside the trains are at risk, with the electricity working and heating operational.

BNONews

Hope everything ends well, for the sake of holidays i know a lot of people are travelling across the channel during this time of year.

CX

posted on Dec, 18 2009 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by grantbeed
news.bnonews.com...

Good find.

I've not been on through the channel tunnel yet, but i bet there's a few passengers panicking right now.

At least there is electricity and heating, lets just hope they have enough water and food for a long stay if neccessary.

CX.

posted on Dec, 18 2009 @ 06:25 PM
link   
what a bad time of year to be stuck. lots of people just finished work for the year, and south england getting snow. will be chaos down there.

posted on Dec, 18 2009 @ 06:30 PM
link   
This has happened before, no big deal. It’s due to the weather.

Although I can bet there are some people down there in a bit of a panic, I know I would be if I was stuck in a tunnel under the sea.

But otherwise, no big deal.

Mikey

posted on Dec, 18 2009 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Channel Tunnel arrivals now being closed on the French side with them refusing to take on anymore train services. Online Ticket services also being closed to UK passengers.

Eurostar quoting as saying "expect severely delayed or NO Eurostar trains to be running at all althroughout today (Saturday) and possibly Sunday."

With the Christmas getaway and Ferries being fully-booked i'd imagine, looks like many will be faced with cancelled holidays away to Europe.

posted on Dec, 18 2009 @ 06:44 PM
link   
Watching from across the pond . Hoping everyones ok. The passengers

have to be fearful. All the water overhead. I'm sure there is a plan al=
ready in effect. They should be out and home soon.

posted on Dec, 18 2009 @ 07:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by CX

Originally posted by grantbeed
news.bnonews.com...

Good find.

I've not been on through the channel tunnel yet, but i bet there's a few passengers panicking right now.

At least there is electricity and heating, lets just hope they have enough water and food for a long stay if neccessary.

CX.

I have been through it. That seriously sucks for those people.
Moving underground while under the sea floor is one thing.
Being stuck there is another.

posted on Dec, 21 2009 @ 10:18 AM
link   
And there they remain.
I cant believe that they are still stuck there.It must be absolutely terrible to be there not knowing when you will return home,in freezing temperatures too.

At Gare du Nord today, hundreds of anxious passengers, desperate to get back to the UK, repeatedly asked the question nobody could answer: "When can I get a Eurostar home"?

Send out a rescue party

posted on Dec, 21 2009 @ 01:45 PM
link   
The really stupid thing is its only the passenger services being affected, the Eurotunnel is still operational because the trains they use are Diesel and thus dont rely on the Electric Cabling which has been the issue for the Eurostar passenger services.

Unfortunately for Eurostar they sold their Diesel locomotives as they were mothballed anyway and were costing the company money just sitting in depots. Eurostar never thought they'd need them, and thats why 50,000 passengers have literally been given a "its not our problem" at the station.

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 08:16 PM
link   
It's not really that big of a deal to be honest with you. We've had things like this happen here in the states on a number of occasions. What made this exceptionally difficult was due to where the trains had stopped. It would not have been that bad if the power would have failed when they were entering and exiting the tunnel. As I come to understand, it was the combination of both the snow and cold that fried one of the generators where the main overhead wire gets its power from.

new topics

top topics

join