It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Blatant Christmas mockery??

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2009 @ 10:55 PM
link   
OK I've NEVER known a REAL Christmas...as in celebrating Christ's birth Christmas
but I think things are just becoming ridiculous this year!!
Case in point....a Saturday morning cartoon channel, CW4kids (channel 5 here) has a commercial with a big gingerbread man begging for his life as his limbs are broken off and then... "Happy Holidays from CW4kids!"
Yesterday I heard from...channel 5 again... this: "Not enough vamp action in your holiday?? Enjoy our "Vampire Diaries" marathon all week!! "
WTF is up with that?? Whatever happened to Scrooge and the Grinch??

(My VERY first thread...plz be kind!
)

posted on Dec, 16 2009 @ 11:41 PM
link   
reply to post by SmokeyDawn

I know what you mean. Well, last weekend (if I recall correctly), they did have a "Grandma got run over by a reigndeer" cartoon on the CW. Too much vampire schlock now a days. Actually, now that you mention it, I do miss the old claymation christmas shows.

Nice avatar by the way. I think I stil have a Dawn #1 in my collection

[edit on 16-12-2009 by divinetragedy79]

posted on Dec, 16 2009 @ 11:52 PM
link   
Christmas is not about Christ, and never has been - it is about retailers trying to grab your dollar.

Our kids are so far removed from the original meaning of Christmas - it is a tragedy. Kids only want lots of presents. Don't blame them - our society is so materialistic.

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 12:11 AM
link   

Not sure where you live but all I get is Christmas on my TV.

ABC Family has been playing Christmas specials since December 1st including the old stop motion Rudolph, Santa Claus is Comin to Town and all the other old stop motion holiday films and they've been playing them repeatedly.

A Christmas Carol was also on the other day, I don't recall what channel though. NBC played It's a Wonderful Life.

I think this whole anti-Christmas thing is all in your head. I mean there may be people who want the religious aspects downplayed.

The vampire thing I agree on, mainly because vampires used to be cool. Vampire lore was always a sort of underground thing but now all these cheesy soap opera version vampires (as opposed to the hypnotic creatures of the night we saw in the old movies and stories) have taken over. So they've been popularized and changed so that they aren't scary or even mysterious anymore, they're just stale template cut outs of the same tired teen archetypes.

Someone above me stated that Christmas was never about Christ, I agree. While some religious folks take that meaning seriously most Americans treat it the same way they treat the Santa story. Because let's face it Christmas is supposed to be about giving and love, not about materialism and empty consumerism hollow zombie-like adults going out to store after store bringing home things their kids likely won't even appreciate. It's become a corporate nightmare and even before that the festivals Christmas is based on were anything but Christian. Pagan festivals celebrating the solstice is where Christmas comes from. The Romans made the transition from polytheism into Christianity and instead of changing tradition they blended many holidays and traditions into their new found State Sponsored version of Christianity.

I'd say relax and enjoy Christmas your way and if you really want to see all those Christmas specials get them on DVD, watching them with all those terrible commercials is a nightmare...

[edit on 17-12-2009 by Titen-Sxull]

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 02:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by divinetragedy79

Nice avatar by the way. I think I stil have a Dawn #1 in my collection

[edit on 16-12-2009 by divinetragedy79]

W00T!! Another "Dawn:The Goddess Returns" fan!! #1 must be worth quite a bit, huh??! >.< lol

new topics

top topics

join