It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A true scientific breakthrough: the blue rose

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2004 @ 03:47 AM
link   
I guess I never gave it much thought, but I have never seen a blue rose I don't think. This is interesting. I cant wait to see what other colors are next and on what. Maybe blue oranges? Guess they wouldn't be oranges any more?

It is the "Holy Grail" of horticulture and soon it could make the perfect present for Mother's Day: scientists have found a way to produce a blue rose.

A chance discovery in a laboratory means that they will be able to create the blue rose "within a year" and it is expected to go on sale to the public soon after that.

www.telegraph.co.uk.../news/2004/05/23/nrose23.xml&sSheet=/news/2004/05/23/ixnewstop.html

[Edited on 23-5-2004 by baked]

posted on May, 23 2004 @ 03:50 AM
link   
The novelty of these items will soon wear off i think. I doubt anyone would want to eat a blue steak for example. Or a green hot dog. Not my idea of good food. It definitely would have a novelty value, but not to an extent where they'll remain so high in demand.

Blue roses are cool, but there are certainly an assortment of blue flowers out there already that would be significantly less expensive than one that require labs to make it.

posted on May, 23 2004 @ 04:01 AM
link   
Reminds me of the green ketchup.
I just couldn't bring myself to eat it, guess it's the whole food coloring thing.

There are other blue flowers, but a rose is different. Blue is a popular "favorite" color.

I also thought much the same thing about those Icesicle (sp? lol) Christmas lights the came out not too long ago, but seems that they've stuck. Who knows tho, Blue rose bushes in the yard seems a bit tacky to me. That is unless your house is blue. Then again, maybe blue grass with blue roses would not look too bad. Maybe throw a blue Japenese maple in the mix. Think if the trees in the fall, blue leaves might be nice.

posted on May, 23 2004 @ 04:10 AM
link   
This remembers me of the time this bakery over here was selling blue pancakes, wafles and bread.

Its fun to eat once, cause we humans have a natural revolt against blue things when it comes to food, but it gets old fast.

posted on May, 23 2004 @ 04:13 AM
link   
the blue rose looks really beautiful. I'm sure that I remember a fairy tale or film from my childhood , where someone was sent out on a quest to find a true blue rose.

posted on May, 23 2004 @ 04:15 AM
link   
Of course! Everything is geared for money.

That doesn't make the blue beautiful. In fact I think I'll go far a walk in the meadow and enjoy some wild roses instead.

posted on May, 23 2004 @ 04:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by SamaraMorgueAnn
Of course! Everything is geared for money.

Take heart, SMA - at least there's a bunch of rough, tough, ATS Truth Commandos sitting around discussing pretty flowers.

I think it's pretty average-looking, bu I don't "get" roses at all. Why not have a nice japanese maple - or better yet, sage, rosemary and purple basil! Delicious and nutritious

Seriously, though, I think this story is interesting, in that it illustrates not only our increasingly adept manipulation of our environment, but also an increasng acceptance from the public. How long ago would people have screamed "heretic" and "burn the witch" when confronted with a blue rose?

Signs of progress, people.

new topics

top topics

join