It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Campaign Cash From Wall Street Favored Representatives Who Opposed Finance Reform Bill"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 12:35 PM
link   
The Link

Surprise, Surprise, Surprise.

Series_logo.JPGOn Friday, the U.S. House of Representatives passed its major financial reform proposal by a 223-202 vote. Commercial banks and credit and finance companies stood among some of the fiercest opponents of the bill.

Members of the House who voted against the measure collected 70 percent more from commercial banks since 1989, on average, than those supported it. And they raised an average of 50 percent more from credit and finance companies than the bill's supporters, CRP found.

Just more proof that TPTB are bought and sold and are hardly worth considering representatives of 'we the people', I mean come on 'we the people' was so 1787. . .

Also interesting is this:

Members who voted against the bill -- sponsored by House Financial Services Committee Chair Barney Frank (D-Mass.) and known as the Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act of 2009 (H.R. 4173) -- received an average of about $133,200 from commercial banks since 1989, while lawmakers who voted for the bill collected an average of about $77,800.

So even those who did vote for it were hardly unbiased. I guess the notion that this bill will actually make the kind of changes we need is highly questionable as a result.

Just another sad day in a long line of sad days for US politics.

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Well this has to be one huge Duh!

Of course they're opposed. They've spend decades pushing, prodding, bribing and otherwise motivating politicians to repeal all the regulations and safeguards that were put in place after the Great Depression. Remember the Regan era savings and loan meltdown? That should have been the warning but it's difficult for politicians to stay focused on protecting OUR interests when the banking lobby is lining their pockets.

I'll say it again: we need to go retro on them. Role out the guillotines. It worked for the French.

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by jtma508
Well this has to be one huge Duh!

I'll say it again: we need to go retro on them. Role out the guillotines. It worked for the French.

I like the idea of going retro on the bankers. However I was thinking re-regulation rather than execution

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Animal

I'm thinking we only have to do one... maybe two of them and the rest will snap right into place. And I wasn't necessarily talking about the bankers.

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 01:50 PM
link   
You took more money in bribes than I did. HA HA!

No I didn't, yes you did, no I didn't.

See, these are the kind of news stories I cannot stand.

How about the excuses like, well GW Bush did it so what's the problem with Obama doing it.

Wake up people, it is not about the Dems vs Repubs.

It is us (citizens) vs them (elitist, corrupt politicians, MIC, etc etc.)

Quit spreading the divide and conquer propaganda.

Name me one politician that did not take bribes from these assahats.

And if you think regulations are for the control of the real players in the Fiat Money swindle, you do not even know anything about the game.

Regulations are not meant to stop the big boys, they are only for the control of the little guys. That is where these bribes come into play. Legalized bribes.

Nuff said.

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by endisnighe
Wake up people, it is not about the Dems vs Repubs.

It is us (citizens) vs them (elitist, corrupt politicians, MIC, etc etc.)

Quit spreading the divide and conquer propaganda.

So true mate. As hard as it is to not get sucked into the partisan distraction based on my personal beliefs and what I see as important issues, it is so very true that either path takes us to the same place.

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 06:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Animal

Yes, I use to be a rabid Repub backer until I started researching Reagan and the Bush years.

They super sped the debt of our country. Either party you pick now is just abhorrent to me.

Kucinnich and Paul are the only two I really trust. Everyone else is just handpicked lackeys of the corporate empire.

People are waking up though, it took both party shills to defeat a conservative independant in the last Federal election. I am hoping the country can hold out until the next election. We need to band together and remove all incumbents.

The best thing these representative could do is not pass anymore laws and start repealing a lot of others.

S&F to you good sir/ma'am.

top topics

join