It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Swiss leader calls for Jewish cemetery ban

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Swiss leader calls for Jewish cemetery ban

jta.org

December 3, 2009

BERLIN (JTA) -- A mainstream Swiss political leader is calling for a ban on separate Muslim and Jewish cemeteries.

Christophe Darbellay, president of the Christian Democratic People's Party of Switzerland, made the statement in a television interview Tuesday, two days after Swiss voters passed an initiative to ban minarets.

The anti-minaret initiative came from the opposition ultra-conservative Swiss People's Party and other right-wing political organizations. Critics say Darbellay is starting a "crusade" to attract voters by proposing similarly xenophobic measur
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Swiss voters favour minaret ban: exit polls

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Well the Swiss are on a roll. First they voted to Ban the Islamic minarets from masques now they are moving to ban "Jewish" Cemetery.

Racism?

I felt the Swiss had a right to vote the minarets out and this only reaffirms that they are preserving Swiss heritage and not just trying to be Anti-Islam.

Are they getting a tad bit out there?

jta.org
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 10:57 AM
link   

ban on separate Muslim and Jewish cemeteries

I haven't had time to read the story yet but like you I'm starting to wonder if there's a theme here. Are they trying to send the message if your not not white and catholic then get out?

[edit on 3-12-2009 by DaddyBare]

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 11:07 AM
link   
This seems to also be aimed at separate muslim cemeteries, as well.

They were possibly taking up to much space in a small country like Switzerland due to having to also make room for all those virgins.

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 11:13 AM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...

allready posted

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Christian Democratic People's Party of Switzerland
hmmmn enough said really.
They have roughly 15% of the popular vote, hardly mainstream.
It was the right wing that managed to get the previous vote in and it suprised most of the actual ruling government that it got passed. Now they are just trying to cash in while the going is good.

Nothing will come of this.

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Harlequin
www.abovetopsecret.com...

allready posted

Thanks I notified a mod I have been trying to get it moved.
Thanks Ashley

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 11:15 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

I felt the Swiss had a right to vote the minarets out and this only reaffirms that they are preserving Swiss heritage and not just trying to be Anti-Islam.

So you dont have a problem with them saying no to Islam, but you have a problem with them saying no to Judaism....and you ask if THEY are bigots?

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Snarf

So you dont have a problem with them saying no to Islam, but you have a problem with them saying no to Judaism....and you ask if THEY are bigots?

Wrong reread my statement.

Had the cemetery story broke first before the minaret one I would have said the same thing.

Jewish/Muslim makes no difference.

[edit on 3-12-2009 by SLAYER69]

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 11:18 AM
link   
All last week's vote accomplished was a change to the building code on a national level. This clown is trying to make a religious issue out of it. It is one of those "If I can't do this, you can't do that" tantrums. I thought most people out grew this type of behavior by age 12. Aparently not.

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 11:18 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

i see what you're saying now - my apologies

personally - i think the swiss are fully in their rights here...hell, the US does it every time we put up the 10 commandments in a court room.

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 11:33 AM
link   
Wanted or not, the Swiss are getting a lot of publicity as of late.

Seems like now a days, just about every issue or proposal gets turned into a racist issue.

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by jam321
Wanted or not, the Swiss are getting a lot of publicity as of late.

Seems like now a days, just about every issue or proposal gets turned into a racist issue.

Race has nothing to do with this. It is religion. What I can't understand is that the majority of terrorist incidents over the last several years have been perpertrated by Muslims. I'm not saying that all Muslims are terrorists, far from it. I do however believe that the majority of Muslims are not doing enough to distance themselves from the ones who are terrorists. This being said I can't for the life of me figure out why so many non-Muslims are so defensive of anything that can be possibly construed as anti-Muslim.

The Swiss voted to ban a certain type of building feature. That is it, plain and simple. There were no constraints put on the Muslim religion. If you don't like it, get a law to overturn it on the next ballot. We have a small town near where I live that has the downtown section declared a historic district. There are very strict laws on how the buildings in that area are to be maintained and you have to get approval for any repairs you do. The Swiss have done pretty much the same thing, except that they have done it for the entire country instead of just a small area.

Some government official, or committee didn't just pass this law, THE SWISS PEOPLE VOTED ON IT! It was their choice.

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by JIMC5499
I do however believe that the majority of Muslims are not doing enough to distance themselves from the ones who are terrorists.

Why distance themselves?

Why not use their cultural and Family ties to impede or halt these activities. These terrorist activities stain their culture. Why don't they police themselves and make a stand and with once voice say enough!

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 12:53 PM
link   

The Swiss People's Party called for crackdowns on expressions of Muslim fundamentalism in 2006. Observers said the demand for separate cemeteries is an escalation

I don't know that I have a problem with laws regarding building and zoning codes but ...

... Darbellay also wants to ban the wearing of burkas, head-to-toe veils worn by some fundamentalist Muslim women.

If the Swiss are edging towards a crackdown on fundamental religious expression, than I foresee a problem...

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 01:36 PM
link   

They have roughly 15% of the popular vote, hardly mainstream.
reply to post by pazcat

Probably.

Christian Democratic Party of Switzerland

Swiss Conservative Party, the Christian Democratic People’s Party was created to represent the interests of Switzerland’s Roman Catholics. Since its founding, it also has included representatives of Christian trade unions.

They are apparently on a roll right now, so to speak, after the mineret victory!

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69

Originally posted by JIMC5499
I do however believe that the majority of Muslims are not doing enough to distance themselves from the ones who are terrorists.

Why distance themselves?

Why not use their cultural and Family ties to impede or halt these activities. These terrorist activities stain their culture. Why don't they police themselves and make a stand and with once voice say enough!

That's pretty much what I meant by distancing themselves.

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 06:50 PM
link   
The bigotry of the world truly knows no end.

Is it me or does the prejudice against isreal and the jewish people in general seem to be growing by leaps and bounds, all the while we are forced to walk on eggshells for those who would have EVERYONE in the world dead or converted.....extreme muslims.

This politically correct dribble we are forced to endure, even to the detriment of our own lives, is unbelievable.

new topics

top topics

join