It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stars Fueled by Dark Matter Could Hold Secrets to the Universe

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 09:51 PM
link   
November 3, 2009
By Lisa Zyga

The first stars in the universe may have been very different from the stars we see today, yet they may hold clues to understanding some of the mysterious features of the universe. These "dark stars," first theorized in 2007, could grow to be much larger than modern stars, and would be powered by dark matter particles that annihilate inside them, rather than by nuclear fusion. In the early universe, dark stars would have emitted visible light like the Sun, but today their light would be redshifted into the infrared range by the time it reaches us, and so dark stars would be invisible to the naked eye.

www.physorg.com...

Simulated view of a black hole in front of the Large Magellanic Cloud. Dark stars could grow to become much larger than normal stars, and might collapse to form the giant black holes in the centers of galaxies. Credit: Wikimedia Commons
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/c6d90f41ecdc.jpg[/atsimg]

Inside these stars, weakly interacting massive particles (WIMPs), a candidate for dark matter, could accumulate. Since WIMPs can be their own antiparticles, they could annihilate to produce a heat source. If the dark matter density was high enough, this heating would dominate over other heating (or cooling) mechanisms, such as nuclear fusion. Compared with fusion, WIMP annihilation is a very efficient power source, so that only a small amount of dark matter is required to power the star.

Nuclear Fusion:

www.physorg.com...

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 10:19 PM
link   
They really cannot figure it out can they?

They are so utterly confused and bewildered by the daunting questions about the universe.

I mean look at them, they are chasing fairy dust. lol

Dark matter did it! Thats like hardly any better than telling me God did it.

Oh well maybe one day they will come up with an explanation.

Dark matter theory is starting to lose it's usefulness.

Perhaps we should come up with something new to explain things? And maybe the so called "scientific community" should be alot more open to peoples ideas?

IMHO every person in the world who wants to think about it needs to suggest ideas. This will give us the best odds of getting novel answers.

[edit on 3-11-2009 by muzzleflash]

posted on Nov, 7 2009 @ 04:14 PM
link   
Did you even read the article muzzleflash? They're not saying how the universe started, merely explaining stars that are fueled by dark matter that may have been the some of the first stars born and how they compare with modern stars

[edit on 7-11-2009 by Echotebarknwhale]

posted on Nov, 7 2009 @ 04:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Echotebarknwhale

muzzleflash is quite correct in his views ... we still have NO idea whatsoever what "dark matter", assuming it even exists, is composed off and what it's properties may be.
So to postulate early stars being composed/fueled with dark matter is basically just whistling in the dark and generating wild sounding possibilities and then following up with unprovable statements such as "may hold clues to features of the universe".

Thats about as valid as me stating that gravity is produced by dark matter and that may also hold clues to features of the universe.

posted on Nov, 7 2009 @ 04:44 PM
link   
nassim heramein explains the dark energy, dark matter pretty well. he calls stars (like our sun) black white WHOLES. *mini black holes*

dark matter and dark energy were made by the cosmology community to fit into their formulas, but it leaves a lot of stuff unexplained. i smuggest you watch nassims video on google video and yahoo. his lecture will blow your mind. i warn you though, its 2 parts 4 hours each.

He has recently received the best paper award for the swarthschild proton, and is completing his Grand unification theory which is starting to be accepted by the physics community.

Part 1

Part 2

[edit on 11/7/2009 by ugie1028]

posted on Nov, 7 2009 @ 04:46 PM
link   
For me, i have a feeling that Dark Matter and the knowledge that there are 10 or so dimensions are connected. Thus making it very hard to detect.....

Hoping we see some answers come out in the next few year..... exciting for science

posted on Nov, 7 2009 @ 04:54 PM
link   
reply to post by ugie1028

Thanks for the videos to Nassim Heramein explaining dark energy, don't have the time to watch four hours right now but will when time permits.

posted on Nov, 7 2009 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Aquarius1

NP, these are just 2 10 min clips, i wish i could post the DVD i have. but due to copyright.... laws, i cant share it.
but its information everyone should really take a look at. his old lecture is free on google video.

Google Video Link

Google Video Link

new topics

top topics

join