It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Barclays Bank closed for business

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Hi everyone I was shocked there was nothing on the boards about this, the long and short of it is that Barclays banks plc has not allowed customers to transact over the internet or with their chip and pin cards for the whole of today. When you try their phone banking helpline the recorded voice advises you there is an error and hangs up on you.

This is not the first time, it happened in July this year for a whole day with little to no explanation other than it was a technical hitch. Is this testing the water for bigger holidays????

I was wondering if anyone visited a branch today in Britain, I could not as was working in the North of Edinburgh and spent my lunch break checking other ATM`s with no joy, I could not buy lunch as had no cash

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 12:35 PM
link   
www.timesonline.co.uk...

This is the source of the day of no financial access in July published by the times, is an absolute joke I would have been raging if I really needed diesel to travel, cash for anything and was stuck with no one from the bank to even offer an explanation

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 01:21 PM
link   
Sorry to give it an early bump, was hoping to get some feedback from other members. One thing I forgot to add was that it is a unique experience to have money but have no access to it. If the financial systems fail I for one will not be prepared. I can only imagine this happening on a massive scale, I think looting would happen within hours and rioting not long after.
It is amazing that a massive financial institution can so badly manage their infastructure that they can just leave their customers in the lurch. I worked for Barclays Commercial dealing with high net worth businesses and I hope a lot of them have taken this last slap in the face and moved banks, they are a joke no wonder we are in the state we are in, the big banks are a joke run by jokers

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Hmmm, seriously a hardware fault? I somehow think they would have enough redundant systems for this to occur. I think it is more in-line with other threads where system changes have been taking place at a whole host of banks....

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by AlwaysQuestion

As I said this could be the dress rehersal for the big show, I hope it isnt as I was rather annoyed and I am quite level headed, I worry what the country would look like if this effected everyone, something like 28 days later I would wager

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 01:41 PM
link   
I was unable to put cash or cheques into my NatWest account today.

Strange.

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by infinite

It is a strange one, my girlfriend works for HBOS and didnt find anything different today however she is business banking, the problems might just be for retail customers, I am really pissed off as went to the atm and still not working, thats been since half 9 this morning.

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 01:48 PM
link   
reply to post by On the level

Could be related to Windows 7 upgrade.

Who knows.

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by infinite

Nah the banks never upgrade that quickly I have worked for RBS, Nationwide and Barlcays and HBOS and they all still use XP, none of them even use Vista

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Just found this article relating to todays problems

LINK

"Barclays customers could face significant delays accessing their cash today following a nationwide system error."

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by suziwong

Do you see the level of distain they have for their cutomers that the automated line is still hanging up on us and they havent bothered to make an official statement. I am moving banks tomorrow

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 02:07 PM
link   
reply to post by On the level

The problem is - they are all the same -

If I were a customer - I would be furious too - imaging filling your car up only to find you were unable to access your own money and had no other means of payment....... I wonder how many people have ended up in a mess today because of this.
The help line scenario is a joke - they should at the very least have staffed it up to help people out some way.
The article did not fully explain the problem - and it said that they claimed to have rectified the situation when clearly they hadn't
I find this news very very worrying - s & f for bringing it to our attention

[edit on 26-10-2009 by suziwong]

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 02:08 PM
link   
Thank you for keeping us updated....both HBOS and Alliance were both ok today on all fronts as far as I could tell, and I could log on to their websites as usual this morning. I will keep you updated tho, if anything else happens with them in the next few days and thank you again for the heads up....if it happens to one,it might happen to others. Def taking cash out of the bank asap.
And yes...their customer service is absolutely shocking. I wonder how many people were actually left hight and dry in some respect by this.

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by caitlinfae

That would be my advise to you, If I had not spent a fortune doing up my flat then I would have invested in a safe and bought some gold stocks, if you look at the papers all of these companies are springing up offering to buy peoples god I think a lot of people know what is happening, the collapse of a terrible system.

top topics

join